Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Dear Isabelle 304: or, How one should behave in an albergue

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
27/11/2009

Dear Isabelle 304, from France/UK. I have just arrived at the Tabara albergue and find that the tomato sauce, the butter and other edible supplies which you generously left behind in the refrigerator have all been eaten, the four rolls of toilet paper which you kindly donated greatfully used, the hygienic mattress covers which you purchased for €2 from the church are still in place on the barren beds, and the floors which you found sparkling clean are much the same (lets not comment on what I found in the bathroom). And Isabelle, thanks for the advice which you left in the Peregrinos Libros and your thoughtfullness in adding a translation for those of us who are linguistically challenged, (Peregrinos Libros 04/11/09). Regards, Lovingkindness.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.

isabelle304

Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
LovingKindness - It's great to know that the stuff I left behind was used/found useful by others. (By the way, those disposable mattress covers were not left by me but by other pilgrims - I took mine away for future use).

I thought Tabara was a great albergue - did not look like much from outside but inside it was comfortable - very clean, spacious, sufficient heating, great kitchen and even a television! I was surprised to read various negative comments in the Peregrinos Libro from earlier in the year, complaining about dirt etc... When I stayed there it was certainly spotless. I'd happily stay there again.

They do need to have a notice on the door though informing pilgrims where they can find the key. The key I eventually got, I was given by the street-sweeping lady :shock: , who happened to see me walking back from the albergue towards the centre of the town (on my way to find a hostal!). Apparently some guide books do say where the key can be found (ayuntamiento, or Tabacos shop, or church :D ) but I did not have that information - and the ayuntamiento was closed when I arrived.

Take care

Isabelle

skilsaw

Veteran Member
isabelle304 said:
They do need to have a notice on the door though informing pilgrims where they can find the key. The key I eventually got, I was given by the street-sweeping lady :shock: , who happened to see me walking back from the albergue towards the centre of the town (on my way to find a hostal!). Apparently some guide books do say where the key can be found (ayuntamiento, or Tabacos shop, or church :D ) but I did not have that information - and the ayuntamiento was closed when I arrived.

A quick question on Albergue etiquette--- Where do you leave the key in the morning after having to find the key the night before? The couple of times on the Via de la Plata that we had to get a key, we left it on the table in the Albergue and left the door unlocked.

David, Victoria, Canada.

isabelle304

Camino Frances (SJPP-Santiago) (Oct-Nov 08)
Santiago to Finisterre (Nov 08)
Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres (Sevilla-Santiago via Ourense) (Oct-Nov 09)
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Santiago) (Sep-Oct 14)
skilsaw said:
A quick question on Albergue etiquette--- Where do you leave the key in the morning after having to find the key the night before? The couple of times on the Via de la Plata that we had to get a key, we left it on the table in the Albergue and left the door unlocked.

David, Victoria, Canada.

It varies - best thing to do is to ask the person giving you the key where they want you to leave it in the morning. I was often told to lock the door and then slip the key in the albergue's letterbox. In the case of those doors that auto-lock behind you, I was told to leave the key inside and just pull the door on my way out. A few times but rarely, I was asked to take the key back where I got it from (eg in Aldea del Cano: the bar; in Cernadilla: the Alcalde's house; in Laza: the Proteccion Civil office). And occasionally, I was told just to leave the door shut but unlocked, with the key in the inside lock.

Isabelle

sillydoll

Veteran Member
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
We read a dreadful report about the state of the albergue in Tiebas (Aragones route) and planned to avoid it. But one short day meant that we headed for Tiebas at the end of a long day. The 'albergue' is part of the Communidad Complex - a community hall, a small room with three double bunks, open plan kitchen with a pine table and chairs, showers and toilet.
There is no hospitalero, a stamp pad on the kitcen counter and a donativo box on the wall.
When we arrived it was a bit dirty and the shower and toilet floors were flooded. We found brooms and mops, swept and mopped floors, wiped down the shower walls, shook out the blankets and mattress covers, cleaned up the kitchen, put a pretty dishcloth and some flowers in a plastic cup on the table. It looked just great! I'm sure the next lot of peregrinos were pleasantly surprised.
Treat staying in the albergues as visiting with old friends. Would you leave their home in a mess? Would you leave the shower full of hair and floors awash, or leave your old plasters, sweet papers, and other rubbish in the guest bedroom?
If everyone does their bit there needn't be untidy, dirty albergues.

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Latest posts

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 60 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 207 14.9%
  • May