• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Death march with teenagers?

theresetucker531

Time of past OR future Camino
doing the last 100km with 12 American high school girls this July!
Hola hola! We are two high school teachers bringing a great group of 12 teenagers from Montana in the US to do the last 100 km of the Camino in July. We are basically following the etapas and are doing the Camino in 5 days. Our second day however, we have booked hostels about 27.5 kilometers apart (from Portomarin to the far side of Palas de Rei). It will be our longest day (17 miles for us Americans) and we are worried that we will turn the Camino into a death march rather than a supremely positive and wonderful experience for our students. Should we rebook our hostels to balance out the distance to approximately 20 km per day? If we do this it will make our first day longer. Do you know of an albergue closer to Toxibo and past Portomarin that we can reserve for a group ahead of time? Or, is the 27.5 km manageable for a group of relatively fit and outdoorsy teenagers?

Thanks a bunch!

Therese and Emily

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola hola! We are two high school teachers bringing a great group of 12 teenagers from Montana in the US to do the last 100 km of the Camino in July. We are basically following the etapas and are doing the Camino in 5 days. Our second day however, we have booked hostels about 27.5 kilometers apart (from Portomarin to the far side of Palas de Rei). It will be our longest day (17 miles for us Americans) and we are worried that we will turn the Camino into a death march rather than a supremely positive and wonderful experience for our students. Should we rebook our hostels to balance out the distance to approximately 20 km per day? If we do this it will make our first day longer. Do you know of an albergue closer to Toxibo and past Portomarin that we can reserve for a group ahead of time? Or, is the 27.5 km manageable for a group of relatively fit and outdoorsy teenagers?

Thanks a bunch!

Therese and Emily

You can reserve in the albergue Casa Garcia in Gonzar which is a very pleasant place. See more in this Gronze.com citation.
https://www.gronze.com/galicia/lugo/gonzar/albergue-casa-garcia

I strongly suggest the 20 kilometer per day rule. There are some very nice albergues off the Brierly route that you could stay at. Starting in Sarria:
- Albergue Monsaterio de la Magdalena. A wonderful hostel with a great Pilgrim Mass each night. Be sure the Abbot knows you are there. The tours of the actual monastery beside the albergue are really neat. It is then 22 kilometers to Portmarin.
- Portomarin - We stayed at Albergue Porto Santiago. Private, clean with a wonderful terrace. Very centrally located. I stayed at this place three times in the past four years, and each time was great.
- 19.8 miles after Portmarin - Albergue Paso de Formiga in Portos. New and very nice. Private hostel. The only problem is that there is nothing around. The place is in the middle of nowhere.
- 20.6 kilometers on - Melide. A ton of really nice places to stay at. We stayed at Albergue San Anton in September of last year and loved it. Bar downstairs for the kiddies.
- 14.6 kilometers on - Arzua. Again, small town with lots of options. We stayed at Via Lactea, nice, new and centrally located
- 19 kilometers on - O Pedrouzo. Again, small town with lots of lodging options. We stayed at Albergue Porto de Santiago last September, and again loved it.
- You then have 22 kilometers to go into Santiago. Leave early, and get there for the pilgrim Mass. It is really cool to see.

I walked with several student groups during this time, and noted that the kids liked the consistency of walking about 4 hours each day. Fortunately, the terrain is roughly the same during these legs, making each day roughly the same in terms of effort. If you have questions, please let me know. - Steve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
27.5 k on the second day for teenagers who grew up in Montana will be tough but do-able. Don't underestimate them. They may complain and grump and whine, but that day, once accomplished, will be the day they go back and brag about. Please don't deny them the chance to prove themselves.
Now as for you keeping up with 12 teenagers, well, Godspeed dear.
And better you than me.

Michelin green map book gives the distance Portomarin to Palas de Rei as 22km. We managed that walk and we are many years older than your youngsters! Give them a refreshment stop and I'm sure they'll be fine

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
27.5 k on the second day for teenagers who grew up in Montana will be tough but do-able. Don't underestimate them. They may complain and grump and whine, but that day, once accomplished, will be the day they go back and brag about. Please don't deny them the chance to prove themselves.
I'm of two minds but my gut agrees with Coleen. It is just about 3 miles further than the average distance and with reservations you have many extra hours in which you can walk and still be assured of a roof over your heads. Hope that day is dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And better you than me.
I second Colleen's post. Comfort is not what it is all about, there are lessons to be learned by pushing a bit. Plus, if they are tired, they will be better behaved in the albergue :D.

Did I mention pour on less cologne, or choke on its scent if they go to be bed earlier because they are tired?

Was just walking with a 14 year old. He could have walked 35 km a day, and was looking forward to the "doble etapa" on hos schedule. Not sure all adults walking with such kids are willing/able to keep up with what the kids can, physically, and then end up putting up with them socially. As well as everyone else.

My tip: two adults by etapa. 15km each. 30km per kid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you send your heavy bags forward and just retain a day-pack you should be able to do the long stretch without much trouble. Average walking speed is around 3 mph or 4.8 k/p/h = 5.75 hrs of walking. Give yourself 1 hr for lunch someplace, 2 * 30 minutes for rest stops for a coffee/drink means you're travelling for 6.75 hours on that day.

Leave your albergue at 7 AM you should be pulling into you final stop around 2PM.

Also, I think the kids will get an amazing sense of achievement from a longish hike. But maybe ask them what they would like to do? Need on of the adults to stay at the back to care for any sprains, blisters, etc. but you will be doing that anyway I believe.

To be safe book accommodation a couple of days ahead. Would be terrible if after walking that distance you chad to hunt for beds.

Sound advice. In 2016 we walked that stretch. There was a German party of older students (18yr olds maybe younger plus two teachers) who stayed in the same albergues as us. They managed the walk. One teacher always walked at the back of the group, students walked in twos or threes. By the time they reached Arzua some really struggled but were determined to complete their Camino experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Albergues

Portomarin - Albergue Ferramenteiro

Palas de Rei - Albergue Buen Camino

Both these had space for groups AND were very helpful.

Via Lactea albergue in Arzua was also very good. Clean, modern, well organised.

Don't do the "death march". Let the students enjoy the experience, stop to take photos, extra water breaks, or just appreciate the scenery. It's not a race and may be a once in a lifetime experience for many. Yes, they would probably be able to do more km and have the blisters and sore feet to prove it, but why?

Buen Camino all!

And better you than me.
Oh my goodness Coleen - thanks for the first laugh of my day!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Therese and Emily and welcome to the forum!

I'd give your kids some margin and have them do the 20km days. That way you're planning for the "slowest" member of the group in case something happens to them the first day, and not pushing it to make 27.5 km. By the way, if I were in your group, *I* would be your slowest member! I tend to shut down after 24km and tend to get hurt (or have trouble going the next day) if I go longer than that. All that to say is that it very well may be wise to do the shorter distances - especially if you're not in a time crunch and can take your time - and enjoy all of your days. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for your kids, whatever you guys decide!

Buen Camino,
Faith

I'd give your kids some margin and have them do the 20km days. That way you're planning for the "slowest" member of the group in case something happens to them the first day, and not pushing it to make 27.5 km.
Earlier I gave my gut opinion to keep the reservations for the long walk. This makes more sense though for a group hike (I'm not used to them.)

Earlier I gave my gut opinion to keep the reservations for the long walk. This makes more sense though for a group hike (I'm not used to them.)

That's the good thing about the Forum, Rick - you get varied opinions and perspectives. Thanks for always providing yours in a kind and gentle way :).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'd vote (not that this matter...) for shorter stages. In a group, you are as fast and resilient as the slower and less experienced walker. But you know your students.
A note: from Palas do Rei to Arzua are 28, 8 km, with many climbs and descents. It is the most difficult Galicia stage. If I do this again, I'd consider Ribadiso da Baixo (doable 25,8 kms), a tiny village with a pleasant creek. Arzúa has more services, but it is just a place.
No experience about Ribadiso's albergues, but this private one looks good.
Good planning!

Felipe, Palas de Rei to Arzua that was a hard slog . That steep hill alongside the main road was a tough climb.

Thanks a bunch!

Therese and Emily

I certainly understand the value of pushing individuals. Self sacrifice teaches many things and all of them good. However, I have this nagging in the back of my head. If this was the fourth day out, then absolutely. The second day may be too much for the weakest among them. It increases the risk of developing physical problems: blisters, etc. Just to be cautious go slow early and if you push it do it later.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Felipe, Palas de Rei to Arzua that was a hard slog . That steep hill alongside the main road was a tough climb.

Yes, there is a tough climb after Boente. I consider myself a good climber, but I was dead tired. But it was worse (to me) the final descent before Rivadiso; not long, but very steep. It is a knee buster. I started to zigzag by the streets of a neigborhood.
Btw, if you stop at Arzúa (as I did) I recommend Albergue Ultreia. Very good diner, too.

I worked at San Anton several summers ago and we had two groups of students stay with us.
One was a coed Spanish group with kids aged between 12 and 16, they were headed for SdC from Burgos with their priest. They had started in Burgos and after 3 days several of them were suffering from fatigue and blisters, fortunately they had a chase car to deal with their issues.
The other group was from Vermont, they were coed as well but older and had a mentor who had conditioned them for the walk. Having started in SJPdP they had some wonderful war stories about their walk but were mostly in good spirits and only walking 20km most days.

Will they have done a 27 km day in preparation/ shoe break in prior to leaving? A 20 km day? Do one and you'll have your answer.

Teenagers. Ages could range from 13yrs to 19yrs. Probably there's a huge difference in ability and stamina within this range.
Good idea to complete some trial walks, test their/ shoes / full rucksacks / stamina.
Youngsters in UK often take part in Duke of Edinburgh's award Bronze, Silver and Gold. For this they have to complete day hikes including map reading and overnight camping trips. We often bump into them when out walking. They seem to carry enormous rucksacks, struggle a bit but stick together and manage the walking / camping. Map reading, no yellow arrows, possibly contact by phone with the leader at a base.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back