Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Death of a American pilgrim on the Camino

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

ginniek

Past OR future Camino
frances 2017
Another news post today records the death of another pilgrim on the Camino Frances last Saturday. Aaron Hewitt, a 46 year old man from South Carolina. Aaron died near Torres del Rio after becoming ill with what appears to have been a heart attack.

Actually, he was from NORTH Carolina. Big difference if you're a Carolinian. Seriously, since SC is a small state I kind of worried that it might be someone I know. Thanks for posting.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Create your own ad
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
Apparently, there is a news story of an American pilgrim who has
died on the Camino near Torres del Rio.

A heartbreaking story!
We North Carolina peeps have a nice number of Camino lovers! From the sounds of it he was having a great pilgrimage!
I found this article beautifully written and honoring this young pilgrim , family and wife.

Last edited:
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Past OR future Camino
CF 2016 CP 2022 PORTUGUESE 2023
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.
Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I think this story packed such a punch because of all of the intimate humane details included. Much more than the typical notice of age, nationality, where it occurred, etc. It made me stop to think that behind every one of these incidents we read about there is a similar story of love and loss. So sad, may he rest in peace.
I also thought the article was well written and I emailed the author to say so, something I don't recall ever doing before. I read a reply from him just a few minutes ago. He also was very touched by Aaron's death, he said he knew him a little bit through running circles.

Past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago (2018)
SJPdP to Leon followed b

Rest in peace, Aaron!

Rest in peace, Aaron. He died following his dream after all...

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
Get your today and start planning.

Jmmmpr

Past OR future Camino
French Camino(2012,2016)
Porto-Santiago(2013)
LePuy-St Jean (2014)
EPW(2017)
Via Francigena(2018)
I also thought the article was well written and I emailed the author to say so, something I don't recall ever doing before. I read a reply from him just a few minutes ago. He also was very touched by Aaron's death, he said he knew him a little bit through running circles.
Thank you for sharing that you wrote to the author! I wrote to him also because of your lead. I was so touched by the author’s sensitivity and thoughtfulness of this man, his wife and of the Camino. As I read the article, I had to pause several times to catch my breath and dry my tears.
I felt compelled to thank the author.
Thank you again!!

Jim

Past OR future Camino
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre

A tragic story indeed, but not unheard of. I can only imagine the loss to the family and those who knew him-- he sounds like a truly excellent man. Rest in Peace, fellow pilgrim!
This might be beyond the scope of this board, but to add some understanding, even very young adults can succumb to heart ailments as the result elevations of lipid particles beyond HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. There are several genetic disorders such as alpha lipoprotein elevations, a dominant gene disorder, also a few other conditions, that are not evident on standard lipid panels, but can be determined with other testing. Treatments are with lipid lowering drugs in general and diet/exercise, of course. Given the biographical data we had on his life style, this young man was making all the right moves. There are other treatments at this time also, but largely experimental from my understanding. Enough to understand that we need to pray for and support research into this type of malady that affects enough people to be of concern to us all.

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

susanawee

susanawee
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Rest in eternal Peace, fellow Pilgrim. 🙏

Had a heart-attack 11 weeks ago, just 2 days prior my departure to Porto to walk the CP.
Thank God, that this didn't happen, while I was on the way.
I hope that you are okay now Roland....the Camino Angels really were keeping their angel wings around you. Take care and recover well.

Roland49

Past OR future Camino
CF2019, CP2022?
I hope that you are okay now Roland....the Camino Angels really were keeping their angel wings around you. Take care and recover well.
Had a rehab of 3 weeks. Sports, physical and psychological stabilization. All in all it went well, thanks to integrating sports like hiking and table-tennis in club into my life.

Hope to be on the Camino Portugues in fall :D

SouthernBoy

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2012 / 2022
It is very hot this year and it could stress people who have underlying conditions that they may not be aware of. Always a good idea to see your doctor before you set out on something like a Camino.
Extremely hot. I’m from SOUTH Carolina where we are used to hot weather, have been to Spain numerous times in the summer, and have never experienced this type of heat. We had to call an ambulance for a fellow pilgrim late last night, who appeared to be suffering heat exhaustion or worse. She ended up being transported to Pamplona. Walk in the cool hours only, hydrate, and listen to your body! If you have a health condition, be cautious. And don’t be afraid to take it easy until this wave passes.

good_old_shoes

Past OR future Camino
Francés ('15, '19)
Via Coloniensis ('16)
Trier-Nancy + Le Puy-Fisterra ('17)
Aragonés ('18)
Extremely hot. I’m from SOUTH Carolina where we are used to hot weather, have been to Spain numerous times in the summer, and have never experienced this type of heat. We had to call an ambulance for a fellow pilgrim late last night, who appeared to be suffering heat exhaustion or worse. She ended up being transported to Pamplona. Walk in the cool hours only, hydrate, and listen to your body! If you have a health condition, be cautious. And don’t be afraid to take it easy until this wave passes.
It really is dangerous right now. I am in France right now, thankfully not in the "red" zone, but it still ist extreme. I've walked in spain in july before and loved it, but this feels different. I still enjoy it, but you need to be really careful. I've had to use my electrolyte powder several times, close to heat exhaustion. Even starting at 5am it gets very hot long before reaching my day's destination. Take care everyone, and don't forget the electrolytes.

Feeling so sorry for those who have passed the last days, and their families :-( Look out for each other, just as this pilgrim's Camino family did, even though he could not be saved :-(

Last edited:
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
How to prevent heat stroke

1. Drink plenty of fluids. ...
  2. Do not drink alcohol, caffeine, drinks.
  3. Water is your best choice..
  4. Make sure the water or sports drinks are cool.
  5. Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing
  6. Wear wide-brimmed hat. Soak your hat in water periodically to bring down your temperature.
  7. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30
  8. Avoid asphalt or concrete.
  9. Slow down your pace and take extra time in shaded areas.
  10. Walk very early in the morning and shorten your itinerary if necessary.

Wanted to remind everyone walkng of the signs of heat stroke
  • a headache.
  • dizziness and confusion.
  • loss of appetite and feeling sick.
  • excessive sweating and pale, clammy skin.
  • cramps in the arms, legs and stomach.
  • fast breathing or pulse.
  • a high temperature of 38C or above.
  • being very thirsty.
https://www.nhs.uk › conditions › h...

Last edited:

Angelo

Past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Portugues (2015)
Madrid (2017)
Inglés (2017)
Invierno (Apr. 2019)
This is an equally sad news. Rest In Peace.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads