• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Death of a German pilgrim on the Camino Frances

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Local news sources have reported the death of a pilgrim today while walking between Villafranca del Bierzo and O Cebreiro. A 65 year old foreign man who apparently fainted and died of natural causes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A later article has stated that the man was a German national aged 69 and had been walking with his daughter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A later article has stated that the man was a German national aged 69 and had been walking with his daughter.

It has been very warm out there... be careful pilgrims!

RIP peregrino.
Pilgrims planning on going in July, it can get very warm...hot that month and very dry. Be prepared with the right clothing and stay hydrated. Heat related injury can sneak up on you. I got heat exhaustion once in the army. IV administered and everything. Not fun.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The heat and also the volume of heavy traffic on that road make that stretch worse than usual; one of those really high bridges on the way up to Piedrafita do Cebreiro has collapsed and the traffic along the Valcarce valley must have noticeably increased these days. Rest in peace, peregrino!

How very sad, and especially unfortunate that his daughter had to witness the loss of her father on what had been most likely a wonderful bonding experience just moments prior.😐🙏

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
More like scorching hot
I walked into Villafranca del Bierzo today so am only 1 day behind this unfortunate soul...and being only one day off it is possible that our paths may have crossed at some point (I met a good number of father/daughter teams)
In any case the Temps have been hovering in the mid to upper 30s for the last couple of days; I even saw one Farmacia displaying 40
You can start feeling it by 10:30 or so by noon it's pretty darn hot and by 14:00 SIMPLY UNBEARABLE.... Nights are not better spent in albergues with no A/C and little if any ventilation (not a complaint per se merely stating the facts)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
More like scorching
Hi CW,
I happened to see your blog on FindPenguins so have read some of your writing and viewed many of your pictures. I really feel for those of you who have been walking in what appears to be nearly unbearable heat.
I hope your Camino is still all you have hoped it would be in spite of this temporary adversity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Local news sources have reported the death of a pilgrim today while walking between Villafranca del Bierzo and O Cebreiro. A 65 year old foreign man who apparently fainted and died of natural causes.

Rest in peace pilgrim

🙏🏻🙏🏻

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How very sad, and especially unfortunate that his daughter had to witness the loss of her father on what had been most likely a wonderful bonding experience just moments prior.😐🙏
Perhaps sad, but perhaps not. Personally, my hope is that, when my time comes, I am walking on the Camino. To me, that would be perfect.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

So sad to learn this news. Rest peacefully Pilgrim. RIP. My sincere condolences to his daughter and to all his loved ones.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it was the partially blind man with the trolley he pulled behind him? I walked and stayed with them in several albergues and if it’s him, he was soaking in every minute and happy to share the experience with his daughter. Whether it was or wasn’t, many prayers for his family.

We’re currently in rabanal.
And it’s indeed HOT ! I decided today to break up the next stage in 2 days . Just 10 km a day till this heat is gone . We too are in our 60’s and I feel it’s too much for us to walk 20/25 km
In this heat . We got umbrellas and they help a bit but going uphill in 85/90 degrees ….?!?! . SO sad for all involved in these tragedies. RIP pilgrim and all strength to especially his daughter who was with him 😘

Ruhe in Frieden, Pilger!

My thoughts are with him and also with his daughter. I am planning to have a camino with my daughter some years later when she is grown up. Currently she is 12. Because of my health condition this sad scenario is something that I have to face as a risk. But for me it would be a nice ending to go home to my maker on the camino. Santiago or Finisterre are not the end of our pilgrimage of life.

My next camino I will dedicate to a man from the US that has walked the distance of the Camino Francés in his own garden. He is dying of cancer. I will light a candle for him in the cathedral and maybe there is a certain chance to get a Compostela for him. I'll try ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I too send my most heartfelt love to the family of this man and the young man who is referenced in another post who also had a suspected heart attack and passed away.
As I get older, Ivar and I am retired and have the luxury of picking when I can walk I absolultely refuse to walk in late Spring through the middle of October. Things have just gotten too insane with the heat worldwide, I walked the VDLP last year and started about October 15th from Sevilla and it was still brutal for over almost 2 weeks. Early on I was carrying 3 liters of water that I would freeze the night before in the albergue. It is very difficult to find a shady spot to get out of the sun. I left very early but still was subjected to over 30 degree weather every day. If you are walking to the store or sitting in a shady outdoor cafe 30+ can be pleasant but all day on the Camino? For me at my age especially I would prefer to walk at a different time of year. That heat is dangerous and exhausting for everyone.

Yes, but the OP's link was of a father, age 65 walking with his daughter. There have been two deaths of men reported, unfortunately. The 46 year old man had no children. There has been another thread about him and he was loved by many people.
The updated news story indicates the German pilgrim who died near Las lagunas was 69 and had previous heart problems. The German father -daughter pair my husband and I got to know between roncesvalles and Carrion de los condes (when we started speeding up) matches this description. He was 69 and his daughter said he had had a heart attack a few years ago. In any case, these are extraordinarily sad events and I hope their families find some peace.

R.I.P Pilgrim.

Samarkand.
I was a few kilometers in front of them day of event. It was very hot and combined with the climb it was quite a challenge. I stayed over at La Laguna and watched a parade of taxis flow in to take pilgrims the short ride to O’Cebreio. Prayers for his loved ones as they deal with the loss.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is very sad indeed. I hope that they had experienced great Camino moments together, they will be key memories to help and support the journey onward in her life.

So sad to this. May he RIP.🙏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was there when this happened. Passed by after they declared him deceased and were waiting for emergency helicopter to get him off the trail. It was horribly sad. It was just before La Faba on the very steep, rocky, slippery, and extremely hot that day section. I believe he collapsed around 11am, and I passed by about an hour later. Again at that point CPR had been stopped and they were just waiting for the helicopter. They had a dog with them. I stayed in La Faba that night and saw the daughter and dog at my albergue. Gave her a huge hug and condolences. Very sad 😔

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

So sad. Rest in peace. Thoughts to his daughter.

I was there when this happened. Passed by after they declared him deceased and were waiting for emergency helicopter to get him off the trail. It was horribly sad. It was just before La Faba on the very steep, rocky, slippery, and extremely hot that day section. I believe he collapsed around 11am, and I passed by about an hour later. Again at that point CPR had been stopped and they were just waiting for the helicopter. They had a dog with them. I stayed in La Faba that night and saw the daughter and dog at my albergue. Gave her a huge hug and condolences. Very sad 😔
Did the man have a wheelbarrow/trolley with him that he pulled by a belt on his waist by any chance? I’m trying to figure out if it was a father/daughter that I walked with off and on and stayed with at a couple albergues. Regardless, it’s tragic.

€46,-
Oh no. This is, indeed, the lovely dad and daughter duo that my husband and I had dinner with in Torres del rio and spoke with many times over a 2 week period. Their adorable dog, Franck, ( a girl dog) was a sweet and faithful companion to them both. The dad clearly adored his smart, vivacious daughter (we don’t speak German and he didn’t speak English, so we spoke to and through his daughter each time we were together). I’m so terribly sad to learn this was, after all, the pair I thought it might be.

Did you get the dad’s name? I know they were from the Hamburg area and would like to send her a condolence card. I can find the obit online but am forgetting his name

I walked with them heading into Logrono toward the end of May. I recall that his name was Klaus and that he was a baker. The daughter, Louisa (?), said her dad wanted to get going around 3:30 or 4:00am because that’s when he usually got out of bed. Buen Camino for his final journey, and condolences to Louisa and Franck.

€46,-

May your soul Rest In Peace !

May your soul Rest In Peace Pilgrim !

Such a tragedy serves as a reminder of the brevity of time we parents have with our children and also with our parents and how special it is to share memories such as walking the camino together. It also serves as a reminder to all of us oldsters of the importance of that annual check-up and of letting our loved ones know what our desires would be if our heart should stop.

More like scorching hot
I walked into Villafranca del Bierzo today so am only 1 day behind this unfortunate soul...and being only one day off it is possible that our paths may have crossed at some point (I met a good number of father/daughter teams)
In any case the Temps have been hovering in the mid to upper 30s for the last couple of days; I even saw one Farmacia displaying 40
You can start feeling it by 10:30 or so by noon it's pretty darn hot and by 14:00 SIMPLY UNBEARABLE.... Nights are not better spent in albergues with no A/C and little if any ventilation (not a complaint per se merely stating the facts)

More like scorching hot
I completed my CF two weeks ago, at 72 , walking in the afternoon to Mansilla de las Mullas on a hot day , to Leon and between other places, during the heat wave in 38c was pure hell , but Camino Gods also give you strength , with determination and grit , I made it from SJPP to Santiago in 34 days. Wishing all pilgrims contented , safe and and enjoyable Camino. take care, 🇨🇦 BUEN CAMINO.

Last edited:

RIP 🙏🏽

I'd read recently of the extreme heat in Spain and instantly thought a silent prayer for protection of all pilgrims currently on the Camino. My sympathies go out to his daughter.

Over the last day or two I have been hearing on the Canadian media of high temperatures in Spain, accompanied by wildfires. I did not hear of a specific location for the fires.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And how are you doing, JAOliver, after seeing this sad sight?

Over the last day or two I have been hearing on the Canadian media of high temperatures in Spain, accompanied by wildfires. I did not hear of a specific location for the fires.

If you follow El Pais or El Mundo you will see the updates.

Also in Catalunya.

€46,-
So sad to read about this.. Rest In Peace.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I pray for his family at this difficult time. May he rest in peace and find many beautiful Camino's to walk in his heavenly home. A reminder for me to live each day to the full and give thanks for the gift of life and the pilgrims God has given me.

Herzliches Beileid.
My heart goes out to the family. It is hart to loose a loved one when you so not expect it. I have been there. Hart for you and your dog.
I had very reasently a close call.
For myself we go when we are called. I hope I can pass while I do something I love like walking the camino. That would be grace for me.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back