A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Death of a pilgrim John Smith in Fonsagrada

aloarb53

Camino(s) past & future
Frances: SJPP to SdC (2011, 2012, 2013)
Primitivo (2018)
St. Frances Way (2019)
Such sadness. The climb into A Fonsagrada is one of the most brutal climbs I’ve ever encountered on a Camino. To face it at the end of a long day at any age is daunting. Peace be with him and his loved ones.

Camino(s) past & future
Sept/Oct 2015 Le Puy - to Conques, Tui - Santiago. May/June 2017 Conques to SJPP
Vale John: us Aussies enjoyed sharing beers and outrageous stories with you in Berducedo. Hoping Grant is on the forum and reading this as we have a photo of John taken just 2 days before his passing (showing him in the midst of one of his yarns) and wondering if his family would like it? Please PM me if so. Sending kind regards from Lugo

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis, Fall 2016
Spanish news websites have reported the death of an English pilgrim on Sunday afternoon: John Smith, a 77 year old man from Salford. It seems that he became ill shortly after arriving at an albergue and though medical help was summoned he could not be revived.
https://www.elprogreso.es/articulo/...rino-ingles-camino/201810081049311337544.html
Yes, it is sad however he died doing something he enjoyed and no doubt, was passionate about. We can all relate to that.

Yes very sad. I agree with others here . He was doing what he loved.
R.I.P. my sincerest condolences to his beloved family.
Bless you all on the Camino

Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
If it is the same John Smith that I think it is, it will come as a great shock to members of the Ultreia Mancunia group, a collection of camino enthusiasts from in and around Manchester, NW England. As a fellow Salfordian, I am aware that John cared for his sick wife for many years and walking the camino was put on-hold until relatively recently, when she too sadly passed away. RIP John. Together again!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Sorry to read this sad news. May he be walking free with those who have gone before him

jimmyc

Camino(s) past & future
Thats sad news but I hope it does not deter older people from walking this lovely Camino.
I completed it about four weeks ago and I am 78 years old.
It is a very difficult and sometime brutal walk but it is not impossible for old people provided they know and keep within their limitations. I kept to shorter stages until I reached Lugo and of course took the Pola de Allande option.

george.g

Camino(s) past & future
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
I met John on the way to SJPP in 2010 and walked with him for quite a few days, on our return home we would meet up now and again for a pint and to share Camino stories.
John was a typical Mancunian, a nice guy, down to earth and not afraid to call a spade a spade, I’m sure he will be sorely missed by all that knew him.
John was a forum member and occasionally posted as Johns.
George.g

Joe m

Camino(s) past & future
primitive
I hope Grant and Johns kids are doing okay. I have searched to read the obituary but can not find it. Sounds to me he was well loved. We were there at the hotel and was shocked. May God keep you close to his arms John

Camino(s) past & future
Sept/Oct 2015 Le Puy - to Conques, Tui - Santiago. May/June 2017 Conques to SJPP
It must have been terrible for you as well so thoughts are with you too. Did you get contact details for Grant? Sorry to say we didn’t. Thought if John at Mass here in Santiago yesterday.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%