A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Death on the CF

Camino Badges

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
may be that he was doing something he really wanted to do - maybe a trip of a lifetime
One can speculate but will probably never know.

Facts according to Jean Jacques Etchandy, owner of Refuge Orisson, on Facebook: un autrichien de 62 ans mort d'une crise cardiaque ....

SCT

Camino(s) past & future
Porto to Santiago 2014
Camino Frances 2016, 2017
(Astorga to SDC 2019)
So sorry to hear the news. Prayers for family and friends and pilgrims who may have been with him.

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
October 2012 Camino Francés Sarria /Santiago.
November 2013 Camino Francés
León to Sarria
June 2014 Camino Francés San Juan Pie de Port to Logroño.
November 2016 Camino Frances ,Logroño to León.
To many pilgrims or travelers passing away this May and June on different caminos !
So sorry 😐!
DEP

Vendee52

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France's planned April-May 2019
Just back from Camino Francés (1st time!) and passed several memorials to pilgrims who had died on the way - and after of all the ways the end might come - for me - dying on a Camino would be better than many other ways 🌈

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
several memorials to pilgrims who had died on the way ... dying on a Camino would be better than many other ways
By their very nature, nearly all the deaths that occur to pilgrims on a camino are sudden i.e. cardiac arrests or traffic accidents.

zrexer

Camino(s) past & future
2014, 15,16 & 19 Camino Frances
2017 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Primitivo
Sad news for this pilgrims family.
I think too much is written that makes the Camino sound like a casual stroll across Spain. It is without a doubt the toughest thing most people will ever do in their lives.
I have come across a number of pilgrims in my six Camino's that have spoken of serious health challenges, yet they are still determined to roll the dice and continue.
I am not sure of the wisdom of this.

CaminanteLento

Camino(s) past & future
May (2019)
I think too much is written that makes the Camino sound like a casual stroll across Spain. It is without a doubt the toughest thing most people will ever do in their lives.
I have come across a number of pilgrims in my six Camino's that have spoken of serious health challenges, yet they are still determined to roll the dice and continue.
I agree with you about the difficulty of the Camino. I have some medical issues that presented a serious challenge to completion (back injury and nerve damage in back/legs). Knowing this fact and to improve my chances of completing the Camino, I trained for 8 months prior to starting in May 2019, gradually increasing distance and pack weight. Despite all my training, in part due to my health challenges, the CF proved to be the hardest thing that I have done in my 50 years (this includes my career in the military). The Camino is a physical and mental challenge that cannot be underestimated.

MichelleElynHogan

Veteran Member
Many have and will pass on their Pilgrimage.

The age of 62 is far too soon for one to leave us, no matter the circumstance. The deceased being on Pilgrimage, for me, garners immediate unconditional respect and love. This person decided to climb the mountain. Sadly, his body was not able to fulfill what he wanted to do. For this, I offer the Family my deepest condolences for the loss and their grieving in coming times. But I want them to know that they must be very proud knowing that he died, expressing his Love for God.

To become a Pilgrim, a true Pilgrim, God is in your Heart, every step. It is never going to be, just a stroll. It becomes essential for us to answer the Call that has been made to us. Perhaps, God has called him, knowing that he has done, enough?

The Pilgrimage is a journey of Heart, Mind and Spirit. And, in addition, the wise Pilgrim knows that their smallest weakness will be fully exploited.

From this, each of us must accept the Pilgrimage as the demands of the Path, each day, every footstep. God does call us but does not torture us. He does not put each foot in front of the other. That is our task, our desire, our responsibility. It is also our task to keep safe. Do what is needed to stay healthy and enjoy the journey.

Go in Peace, kind Pilgrim. Rest now.

VeganCamino

Camino(s) past & future
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Apparently, a peregrino died about 2 km out of Orrison this morning. No particulars, but several perigrinos are talking about it in Roncesvalles tonight.
Thank you for mentioning this. I walked the first stage from SJPP that day and several people I met in Roncesvalles had crossed during the time the police were investigating. I thought it was a woman?

I was coming upon Orisson and saw dozens of Hawks circling and it seemed ominous like something had died. It's sad and scary to think that someone who thought they could do it, died.

I personally think that stage is insanely crazy and I would not do it again. I'm a former spin, step, yoga teacher and that was crazy. Too hard on the body.

So much love to all affected by this person's passing.

malingerer

I agree with most of this but would question whether wisdom plays much of a part :) The heart has its own rules and they area the ones I prefer! Take care and Buen camino .
The Malingerer

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
I think that a significant number of those who walk the Camino Frances have very little experience in long distance walking or in the response of their own bodies to physical challenge. Various books and movies have made the camino Frances into a unique and special experience. Perhaps we need to remind ourselves that the current phrase, "bucket list" refers to things to be done before one "kicks the bucket," which is something that most of us wish to put off. It might be better if the availability of the Sarria route for persons in problematical health were talked up more, as an available and easier pilgrimage route, fully approved by the authorities in Santiago, instead of treated with the semi-contempt that sometimes appears on this forum. The same is true of the possible advantages of commercially supported pilgrimages, for those who need one, and might accept and enjoy it, if not told that it was second-best. This is not, of course, a comment directed at this recent death, about which I know little.

Ste66

Camino(s) past & future
Completed Camino (Frances) Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela by bike 2015 completed walk from St Jean pied de port to Pamplona July 2016
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 158 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%