• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Debit card trouble at Barajas

H

HighlandsHiker

Yesterday the same card I've used to travel all over Europe and SE Asia was rejected at the machines at Barajas. I tried 4 different machines and was concerned about the card being eaten beyond that. The bank (who I had made arrangements with to use the card away from home - like always) says everything is fine with the card, daily transaction limit and balance. Since it is not possible to do a Camino with a credit card and I'm unwilling to go further afield without a working ATM card, I'm heading home. It's possible to arrange for cash from your credit card with a PIN, but not enough for an entire Camino. Western Union is at Terminal 1, in case anyone ever needs that option. The airlines lost one of my poles too, so be sure to wrap them up and put them in a box instead of a knotted duffel bag. Maybe taking a few extra debit and credit cards or risking taking a large amount of home currency (which doesn't seem all that wise) or going with a friend who has alternative cards might help. Fortunately Spaniards are wonderful people, and being here is pleasant despite the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Barajas is Madrid airport btw.

Are the ATMs there contracted to a private company? I know the ones at Gatwick are. Have you tried an actual bank-run ATM?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Barajas is Madrid airport btw.

Are the ATMs there contracted to a private company? I know the ones at Gatwick are. Have you tried an actual bank-run ATM?
I tried one of Santander's. I'm sure it's my own bank no matter what they say. It could happen to others too, so I just wanted to let people know it happens. I'll come back maybe in mid-August with as many debit cards, credit cards with cash options and home currency as I can gather. Thanks for responding, Notion900. It's a wrap at this point. The forum is my entertainment for about 4 more hours sitting here at T4-RSU:0))

This happened to me at an airport once and I found what I had convinced myself I was putting into the ATM as my debit card was actually my credit card. When I did what I was supposed to do all was well.
Hahaha. Not funny at the time, I'll bet. This one is definitely my debit card. It's been kind of scary. I only use my travel credit card for ..... well, travel. They tried to put me through to emergency services, but even with the customer service people calling, no one responded during a 30 minute wait. At least the credit card is getting me home, so that's a good thing. I think I was an axe murderer in my last life sometimes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh no! Are you flying back to the US then?
I don't think I have a choice. I feel lucky that a kind Iberia employee bent the rules about one-way fares and is getting me home for a fare that doesn't blow my credit limit. The plan was to fly home on TAP from Lisbon. They are unbundled, so it's possible to book within a few days of flying home. This was to be my "spontaneous" Camino with an open end-date:0)). Will maybe try again later in the summer. Thanks!

If it makes you feel better, on Tuesday I withdrew cash from an ATM. I punched in everything, it went through correctly, and my card came out. I retrieved it, put it in my wallet, then walked away - with the money still waiting there to be retrieved! I didn't even think about the fact I hadn't actually taken the money until 1.5 hours later. When I ran back and started asking the security guard, local merchants, etc., no one had seen anything, nor had anyone turned in any money :( . I'm still waiting to see if the ATM sucked the money back in. If so, hopefully the amount will turn up in my account again.

All that to say....hope you feel a little better now :).

So sorry you can't walk now as planned. Have a good journey home. People will be surprised to see you!
Faith

If it makes you feel better, on Tuesday I withdrew cash from an ATM. I punched in everything, it went through correctly, and my card came out. I retrieved it, put it in my wallet, then walked away - with the money still waiting there to be retrieved! I didn't even think about the fact I hadn't actually taken the money until 1.5 hours later. When I ran back and started asking the security guard, local merchants, etc., no one had seen anything, nor had anyone turned in any money :( . I'm still waiting to see if the ATM sucked the money back in. If so, hopefully the amount will turn up in my account again.

All that to say....hope you feel a little better now :).

So sorry you can't walk now as planned. Have a good journey home. People will be surprised to see you!
Faith
Thanks, Faith! Whenever I see people posting stressed, it seems to help them when others just respond with some good words. So now I can say firsthand that it really does help:0)).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yesterday the same card I've used to travel all over Europe and SE Asia was rejected at the machines at Barajas. I tried 4 different machines and was concerned about the card being eaten beyond that. The bank (who I had made arrangements with to use the card away from home - like always) says everything is fine with the card, daily transaction limit and balance. Since it is not possible to do a Camino with a credit card and I'm unwilling to go further afield without a working ATM card, I'm heading home. It's possible to arrange for cash from your credit card with a PIN, but not enough for an entire Camino. Western Union is at Terminal 1, in case anyone ever needs that option. The airlines lost one of my poles too, so be sure to wrap them up and put them in a box instead of a knotted duffel bag. Maybe taking a few extra debit and credit cards or risking taking a large amount of home currency (which doesn't seem all that wise) or going with a friend who has alternative cards might help. Fortunately Spaniards are wonderful people, and being here is pleasant despite the circumstances.
I am so sorry that this has happened to you, and I hope that you are able to return to complete your Camino. This can, and does, happen though so thank you for providing a heads-up to us. I also had a debit card that would not be accepted, but thank goodness I had a second one that I could use. I never did figure out what the problem was, nor did the bank. Now I travel with a combination of cash, 2 debit cards, and 2 credit cards - and I make sure that they are in separate places for security. Good heads-up re: poles as well.

Natefaith...methinks someone took/stole your money w a finders keepers thought wave! As for me. I entered an incorrect PIN number in a moment of Camino amnesia!! My card is now blocked and hard to call Australia at the right time. Fortunately I have a regular debit card as well so can withdraw cash with a sizeable conversion fee....am paying attention now in the $ department!! But counting my blessings. Hope you appreciate the pun......

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hahaha. Not funny at the time, I'll bet. This one is definitely my debit card. It's been kind of scary. I only use my travel credit card for ..... well, travel. They tried to put me through to emergency services, but even with the customer service people calling, no one responded during a 30 minute wait. At least the credit card is getting me home, so that's a good thing. I think I was an axe murderer in my last life sometimes.
Here's something that might be useful for anyone who runs into this. Western Union looks easy to use, and they can wire whatever amount needed with some limits set by the offices sending/receiving. It looks like it costs around 7 percent of the amount sent. The one at Barajas T1 looks like it's within another business. Some sources say the sender has to present with cash, but their online site (app available) sounds like it can be done online straight from a bank account to the receiver in cash, although it seems like most banks might need a day or two to transact this? The hours for the Western Union at Barajas are 10 am to 10 pm., and at least from office to office is immediate - proper ID required. It still wouldn't be a good idea to keep the entire Camino's funds that way, though.

I know that the amount of digits in the security pin makes a difference as well, Spain works with a four digest pin numbers and some other banking institutions and countries use six. If not too late, you may want to go into a bank and ask if there is a way to work this out. Spain is a country of tourism and their customer service is really good, if there is a way to solve this for you they will.

Just heard from bank. Too late, unfortunately. The STAR network has areas of Spain blocked. They can lift the restriction on a card for 24 hours, once your bank figures out what went wrong, but you still wouldn't know which other areas are blocked and which weren't. And most people have a daily withdrawal maximum, I think.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh well, life in the big city... Is good to know what the problem was/is. Hope you are able to come back and finish your Camino. In my case I took money from home in cash, a debit card and two credit cards which I ended up no needing but was good to know I had them just in case. All the best to you HighlandsHiker...

Absolutely disgusting in this day and age. Blocking whole areas of a developed country and letting people get stranded? What is wrong with these people? Change your bank. Or threaten to diss them on social media unless they refund the return fare.

Interesting - all of this. I just arrived at T 1 Madrid / Barajas 4 hrs ago, and used my Star-related debit card (where the airport bus picks people up) with no problems - but I only took out a few hundred Euros.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's something that might be useful for anyone who runs into this. Western Union looks easy to use, and they can wire whatever amount needed with some limits set by the offices sending/receiving. It looks like it costs around 7 percent of the amount sent. The one at Barajas T1 looks like it's within another business. Some sources say the sender has to present with cash, but their online site (app available) sounds like it can be done online straight from a bank account to the receiver in cash, although it seems like most banks might need a day or two to transact this? The hours for the Western Union at Barajas are 10 am to 10 pm., and at least from office to office is immediate - proper ID required. It still wouldn't be a good idea to keep the entire Camino's funds that way, though.
Yes, Western Union can be a good option. I started my Camino with NO credit or debit cards last year after being pickpocketed in Plaza Mayor.
But I was determined to continue. My husband sent me money via Western Union online, and I was able to pick it up at one of the many Western Union outlets in the city.
I contacted my banks and was able to have the cards sent to Pensión Corazón Puro. My credit cards arrived in time for me to get them as I was walking through Bizkaretta. The debit cards arrived a few days later, and the owners, Barbara and Istvan, sent them to the Correos office in Burgos for me. Meanwhile, my husband sent more money for me, which I picked up in Pamplona, and used my credit card when possible.
After getting over feeling stupid for having been pickpocketed, the experience was strangely empowering to me. I learned that I could be resourceful and persevere.

I had this happen at Malaga airport. I ended up using the money exchange to get some Euros. I tried again at the bus station with success and had no other ATM problems during my time in Spain. I wondered at the time if it was a scam to get me to use the foreign exchange booth.

A similar incident happened at Buenos Aires EZE ... the problem was of so much demand the machines were empty. The only working ATM had a long line.

You might have been alright going to a bank machine at another site.

I use a Credit Union rather than a bank. I visited them right before I left and gave them the dates I would be leaving and returning, and where I would be (France and Spain somewhere?) and Diane said "No Worries. We have you all set."
So I sent them a postcard from Burgos.
"Wish you were here. Send Money."
When I got back it was on the bulletin board. They got a laugh out of it.
Didn't send me any money tho.:(

€149,-
So sorry to hear about your situation! Although you determined that the problem was the banking network and not the ATMs, I have a small sad story of my own from Barajas: once when I was in transit to Portugal, a Barajas ATM crashed in the middle of a transaction and ate my card. It showed a Windows error screen and everything. I had no way to get help before my flight (of course no one at the airport could help) so I went on to Portugal without my card. Fortunately I was meeting my wife there who had her own card.

Ever since I've avoided Barajas ATMs, I avoid all ATMs when I have a flight to catch, and I always try to fly into Europe with leftover euros from a previous trip.

Thank you for the warning about airport ATMs. I am sorry this has happened to you, and that you have had to forgo your Camino and return home.

This isn;t going to help you now Highland Hiker, but may be of value to ogther in future...

I learned years ago to always travel with a spare set of credit/debit cards kept in a different place - I was mugged in Paris in 1995 and lost absolutely EVERYTHING I had. Yes, I was a naive novice traveller back then, but learned a very valuable lesson from the experience.

So now, wherever I travel, it's always 2 debit cards and 2 credit cards (and it does really seem overkill when packing to walk a Camino which is a cash economy). On the Camino my usual credit and debit cards are kept in my waistbelt. The 2 backup cards are hidden away, somewhere in my pack, but I'm not saying where lol! And I always keep a stash of about €50 tucked away in my pack too, just in case. Maybe €20 in a clean pair of socks, the rest somewhere else. And it moves around.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know that the amount of digits in the security pin makes a difference as well, Spain works with a four digest pin numbers and some other banking institutions and countries use six. If not too late, you may want to go into a bank and ask if there is a way to work this out. Spain is a country of tourism and their customer service is really good, if there is a way to solve this for you they will.
This isn't really true. While most or all of Spanish banks issue their debit cards with 4 digit PINS, their ATMs know that your card is from another country. The ATM will have your bank verify that your PIN is correct, no matter how many digits it has. It's been that way for all of my debit cards for at least five years.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have been traveling the Camino primitivo as well as the Camino Frances (bus Leon to Oviedo) and the police/civil guards were often about, checking on pilgrim safety-especially early mornings...I found it reassuring and this re-enforces the medieval ethos to protect peregrinos. Spain wishes to ensure that those walking ancient pilgrim routes have positive experiences ...the Camino is safer than any city for sure...

Just heard from bank. Too late, unfortunately. The STAR network has areas of Spain blocked. They can lift the restriction on a card for 24 hours, once your bank figures out what went wrong, but you still wouldn't know which other areas are blocked and which weren't. And most people have a daily withdrawal maximum, I think.

Sorry to hear this Highlands. Just remember that these things happen for a reason. At the outset this maybe the banks incompetence, however, I have experienced many times the resolution works out in the end. Godspeed home and when you return in September I'll buy the first round.
Davie

One time I bought a new pack and gave the old one away and forgot the USD100 in the lining. :confused:
Bonus!
I bought an old moth-eaten men's robe at a second hand store once for a dollar because it had a wonderful pattern in the material to make a pillow out of. In the left pocket was the stub of an old cigar and a clothes pin. In the right pocket was a $10 bill!
So do any of you want the cigar stub or clothes pin because I'm keeping the rest.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
  • Feb. 2014, I crazily boarded a plane to Madrid sans USA dollars or Euros, Barajas has ATMs right. Right. However, my bank put a hold on my check. So, I was unable to access funds at 9pm in Spain. Oh boy. And, because my last Camino was ten years prior I did not update my technology: no SIM card, no international cell phone plan. Finally, I borrowed a worker's cell, phoned bank, I did have foresight to have bank's 24hr travel number, had hold lifted, got money, gave worker some to cover cost, then boarded bus to Pamplona. And, that was beginning of the oddest camino. Lots of miracles, lots of Ripley's Believe it or Not moments, but odd. Very odd.
  • Sorry you had problems.
  • Buen camino to you.

In 2012, I experienced a similar problem in Madrid I was able to use my debit card and then in Bayonne France I was able to use my Mastercard. As I continued on the Camino at one point none of the cards worded. I had to ask for 5 Euros to make a phone call to Master card and they sent me a new card in Logrono at the address of the church run albergue until the card arrive two days later. The debit card was another case the bank said I had the wrong pin number which was not true. I understand your situation very well at one point I thought going back to Madrid and going Canadian consulate for help.

• Feb. 2014, I crazily boarded a plane to Madrid sans USA dollars or Euros, Barajas has ATMs right. Right. However, my bank put a hold on my check. So, I was unable to access funds at 9pm in Spain. Oh boy. And, because my last Camino was ten years prior I did not update my technology: no SIM card, no international cell phone plan. Finally, I borrowed a worker's cell, phoned bank, I did have foresight to have bank's 24hr travel number, had hold lifted, got money, gave worker some to cover cost, then boarded bus to Pamplona. And, that was beginning of the oddest camino. Lots of miracles, lots of Ripley's Believe it or Not moments, but odd. Very odd.
  • Sorry you had problems.
  • Buen camino to you
Thank you for your story- I'm glad your bank helped you and that despite it all, you had an odd, interesting Camino- maybe the best kind? My current bank is in a small town and I always get the impression that they haven't a clue about anything related to travel or how their own system works. They try to help, but ultimately the answer was "sorry". I've had a great time in your city, though, on the way back through. Was expecting Penn Station to be deserted at 9pm, but it was packed with people and there were musicians playing 70s music.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In 2012, I experienced a similar problem in Madrid I was able to use my debit card and then in Bayonne France I was able to use my Mastercard. As I continued on the Camino at one point none of the cards worded. I had to ask for 5 Euros to make a phone call to Master card and they sent me a new card in Logrono at the address of the church run albergue until the card arrive two days later. The debit card was another case the bank said I had the wrong pin number which was not true. I understand your situation very well at one point I thought going back to Madrid and going Canadian consulate for help.
That just sounds dreadful. Its good to hear how other people managed this because it can be a pretty nerve-wracking situation. I'd just never had much trouble traveling with this card, a credit card, and a little money to exchange before. So, there are a number of ways to skin this cat, and I thank everyone for helping!!!

Sorry to hear this Highlands. Just remember that these things happen for a reason. At the outset this maybe the banks incompetence, however, I have experienced many times the resolution works out in the end. Godspeed home and when you return in September I'll buy the first round.
Davie
That's so kind of you, Davie. Thank you. Other than a couple of worried hours, have actually had a good time, and I suspect you are right about things working out for the better.

Absolutely disgusting in this day and age. Blocking whole areas of a developed country and letting people get stranded? What is wrong with these people? Change your bank. Or threaten to diss them on social media unless they refund the return fare.
Thanks, Notion 900! Am on the train home and intend to make sure am never left in this situation again. Might start a collection of debit and credit cards. If banks aren't telling people that the areas on the itineraries their customers have submitted are blocked, that seems like real negligence at best. I'm going to learn more Spanish and try it again later in the summer, and thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the warning about airport ATMs. I am sorry this has happened to you, and that you have had to forgo your Camino and return home.

This isn;t going to help you now Highland Hiker, but may be of value to ogther in future...

I learned years ago to always travel with a spare set of credit/debit cards kept in a different place - I was mugged in Paris in 1995 and lost absolutely EVERYTHING I had. Yes, I was a naive novice traveller back then, but learned a very valuable lesson from the experience.

So now, wherever I travel, it's always 2 debit cards and 2 credit cards (and it does really seem overkill when packing to walk a Camino which is a cash economy). On the Camino my usual credit and debit cards are kept in my waistbelt. The 2 backup cards are hidden away, somewhere in my pack, but I'm not saying where lol! And I always keep a stash of about €50 tucked away in my pack too, just in case. Maybe €20 in a clean pair of socks, the rest somewhere else. And it moves around.
That's horrible, Julia! I really dislike that aspect of travel - being prey for criminals. Had some separated-out money pickpocketed in grocery cashier line in Melide last year, but being assaulted and robbed is an entirely different matter. Yes, I stash things in different places and wear a money belt next to my skin where at least I hope it can't be wrested away from me. I'm glad you're still traveling and intend to follow your good practice of carrying more cards and hidden cash. Thank you!

So sorry to hear about your situation! Although you determined that the problem was the banking network and not the ATMs, I have a small sad story of my own from Barajas: once when I was in transit to Portugal, a Barajas ATM crashed in the middle of a transaction and ate my card. It showed a Windows error screen and everything. I had no way to get help before my flight (of course no one at the airport could help) so I went on to Portugal without my card. Fortunately I was meeting my wife there who had her own card.

Ever since I've avoided Barajas ATMs, I avoid all ATMs when I have a flight to catch, and I always try to fly into Europe with leftover euros from a previous trip.
I like your plan of not using the ATMs in airports and will go with that plan in the future. It's an awful feeling to be caught out like that. Thankfully, when I got to JFK it worked fine. Thanks for your "small sad story". I'm sorry that it happened, but maybe it will help someone avoid this with all the good tips here.

Thank you for your story- I'm glad your bank helped you and that despite it all, you had an odd, interesting Camino- maybe the best kind? My current bank is in a small town and I always get the impression that they haven't a clue about anything related to travel or how their own system works. They try to help, but ultimately the answer was "sorry". I've had a great time in your city, though, on the way back through. Was expecting Penn Station to be deserted at 9pm, but it was packed with people and there were musicians playing 70s music.

Penn station is rarely deserted. Glad you enjoyed NYC. I just relocated back to Los Angeles, where I grew up. Elderly parents in need. Was going to retool to lawalking, but looks too odd.
Buen camino next time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had the same problem last Fall on the Camino. My debit card would not work at any of the ATM's. I tried all banks. I was finally able to use my credit card with a PIN number. Never could use the debit. I too have used that debit card in Europe on other occasions with no problem. My bank said there was no issue with my card. The only thing I could attribute it to was the fact that my debit card does not have a chip. I didn't want to use my credit card as it is treated like a cash advance and the interest charge is not good but I had no choice.

I had the same problem last Fall on the Camino. My debit card would not work at any of the ATM's. I tried all banks. I was finally able to use my credit card with a PIN number. Never could use the debit. I too have used that debit card in Europe on other occasions with no problem. My bank said there was no issue with my card. The only thing I could attribute it to was the fact that my debit card does not have a chip. I didn't want to use my credit card as it is treated like a cash advance and the interest charge is not good but I had no choice.
You deserve a lot of credit for perseverance, Shirley! Since you're here, maybe you're thinking about going back to do another one?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back