• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decathlon is now in the US...Find of the day!

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
Here is a very nifty shoulder bag for Camino use. I have one, love it and just discovered it is available from Decathlon in the US.

It is NOT as lightweight or as tiny when packed as the Sea to Summit Shoulder bag or day pack, but it is VERY well designed, and about 1/4 the price. When not on Camino, the two, side outer stretch pockets are idea for sunglasses, a water bottle, or a cell phone.

I have one, and swear by it. I purchased multiples when I was last at Santiago in August and gave them away to friends. In Europe the price is € 7.99.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/hiking-ultra-compact-satchel?adept_source=search-results#

The US price is $ 8.99. That is about right given the prevailing conversion rate. NOTE: it is available in three colors. My personal preference is the grey.

If in Spain, here is the link to the Spanish site:

https://www.decathlon.es/morral-ultra-compacto-gris--id_8356618.html

If you search any other European Decathlon website using the UPC code "8356618" you should find the bag. That is how I found it on the US site.

On Camino, this can be worn in the front, cross-shoulder to distribute weight better, and presents a very good way to keep 2 x .5 liter water bottles immediately at hand. It also gives you plenty of space for your poncho, guidebook, sunblock, snacks, etc., without having to remove your rucksack everytime you want something.

When you come into a town, it works well as a 'possibles' bag for shopping, touring, etc. It also holds enough to be useful as an enroute, carry-on bag in lieu of something else. I think the advertised capacity is 15 liters...

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here is a very nifty shoulder bag for Camino use. I have one, love it and just discovered it is available from Decathlon in the US.

It is NOT as lightweight or as tiny when packed as the Sea to Summit Shoulder bag or day pack, but it is VERY well designed, and about 1/4 the price. When not on Camino, the two, side outer stretch pockets are idea for sunglasses, a water bottle, or a cell phone.

I have one, and swear by it. I purchased multiples when I was last at Santiago in August and gave them away to friends. In Europe the price is € 7.99.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/hiking-ultra-compact-satchel?adept_source=search-results#

The US price is $ 8.99. That is about right given the prevailing conversion rate. NOTE: it is available in three colors. My personal preference is the grey.

If you search any other European Decathlon website using the UPC code "8356618" you should find the bag. That is how I found it on the US site.

On Camino, this can be worn in the front, cross-shoulder to distribute weight better, and presents a very good way to keep 2 x .5 liter water bottles immediately at hand. It also gives you plenty of space for your poncho, guidebook, sunblock, snacks, etc., without having to remove your rucksack everytime you want something.

When you come into a town, it works well as a 'possibles' bag for shopping, touring, etc. It also holds enough to be useful as an enroute, carry-on bag in lieu of something else. I think the advertised capacity is 15 liters...

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I was considering the sea to summit but this looks like a great option not only as a daybag but especially as a airline carry on

You lucky US-guys! Now, why can't Decathlon be on the Danish market? I can't even buy on their website, they don't mail to Denmark! What have we done in Denmark since Decathlon won't sell their stuff to us?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Decathlon shutdown all of its US stores in 2006 which were all located in New England area. This year, they are starting a second attempt at US market.

-Paul

decathlon is a very very very dangerous shop if you are a woman ;) equally as dangerous as IKEA ... I'll just buy a t-shirt ... final price $499 ... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hope this helps.
I have two of those bags - the pink one and the gray one. It's great for when I go on long walks around town, and for when I'm a tourist. I also have the 1.99 euro/$2.49 small Decathlon backpack, and have bought them for friends and family. And, I picked up the waterproof 20 liter backpack on my last Decathlon visit, which would be great for taking belongings into the shower area in albergues.

The search function on the US site does not work well with text words. I suspect it was adopted from the original French database.

So, I recommend using the European Decathlon websites (e.g. decathlon.de, decathlon.fr, decathlon.nl, or decathlon.es) to locate your desired item and to obtain the UPC number. The UPC number is a 8-digit number, usually above the text description of the item.

Use the UPC code to search the US site. That WILL work.

Numbers are objective. Key words are subjective and may vary in translation.

Hope this helps,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for posting this info. Just created an account. On another note, I noticed Camino t-shirts are on sale on this website today!!!

Oh my, almost every single choice I made on US site is sold out. My guess is they have yet to import it here to begin with? Looks like great stuff at great prices though and I have some time before I leave so I will check back.

OK, does anyone know of a backdoor or other portal for the US site where 85% of the items are NOT sold out?

Last edited:
Oh my, almost every single choice I made on US site is sold out. My guess is they have yet to import it here to begin with? Looks like great stuff at great prices though and I have some time before I leave so I will check back.

OK, does anyone know of a backdoor or other portal for the US site where 85% of the items are NOT sold out?
I have found some Decathlon items on Amazon, but the prices are generally higher. If you have time in Spain before starting the Camino you can pick up the items that you want then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Decathlon IS a very popular brand across Europe. My guess is that their supply chain has teething problems. You are likely one container ship arrival at the Port of Oakland, CA, away from satisfaction.

I recommend asking them to tell you by e-mail when they have stock again.

I recommend AGAINST trying to order any Decathlon items from Europe and having delivered to North America. The shipping & postage would likely cost more than the item.

Patience is a virtue. Be virtuous... ;) This will all work out...

Hope this helps.
Decathlon do not ship to Australia but they are now here. You can buy online from here!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Decathlon shutdown all of its US stores in 2006 which were all located in New England area. This year, they are starting a second attempt at US market.

-Paul
Maybe they should try the West coast

The first, and currently only, US store is at 735 Market Street in San Francisco. They are starting from the West Coast due to supply chain issues. It makes sense.

The first, and currently only, US store is at 735 Market Street in San Francisco. They are starting from the West Coast due to supply chain issues. It makes sense.
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For many years I clung to a couple of deeply held prejudices. (1) Decathlon products are c**p. And (2) using twin trekking poles is an unnecessary waste of time and effort. Having been crippled part-way through a walk on the Via de la Plata and subsequently being diagnosed with arthritis in one knee (with the other one pretty dodgy too) I have very reluctantly become a convert to twin poles. I hate the noise of bare metal tips on hard surfaces but the rubber covers seem to last no time at all. Before starting again on my interrupted VdlP walk I called in at a Madrid branch of Decathlon and found a pair of plastic pole tips labelled for "Nordic" poles. Chunky black mushrooms. I have been mightily impressed with them. After covering about 300km using these tips on the VdlP with little noticeable wear I took one pole with me to Japan where I used it to walk 1200km of the Shikoku and Kumano Kodo routes - the second pole being a traditional Japanese wooden staff. With close on 1500km of use - probably three-quarters on asphalt - this plastic tip is still not worn through :) I am not often inclined to recommend particular shops or products but this has to be an exception!

nordic-tips.jpg

Decathlon used to be a bit rubbish but it's so much better now. The trekking poles are fantastic for the price. Also good water bladders, and I bought some trail runners there the other day. However I do think the fit of the women's clothing leaves a lot to be desired. It's not flattering at all, a bit like M&S!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Spanish pilgrims wear Decathlon stuff head to toe, backpacks, poles, shoes everything. Just saying.

Spanish pilgrims wear Decathlon stuff head to toe, backpacks, poles, shoes everything. Just saying.

But many pilgrims are not serious hikers. They probably do just one or two caminos in their lives and are not found on forums like these. Many of course only do the last 100km.

Either way, you get what you pay for and good quality that lasts comes at a price.

It is ridiculous how cheap some of the goods are in their stores. I shudder to think how much the workers in their Indonesian or Cambodian sweat-shops are making.

I'd even go as far to say buying cheap crap like this is unethical.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But many pilgrims are not serious hikers. They probably do just one or two caminos in their lives and are not found on forums like these. Many of course only do the last 100km.

Either way, you get what you pay for and good quality that lasts comes at a price.

It is ridiculous how cheap some of the goods are in their stores. I shudder to think how much the workers in their Indonesian or Cambodian sweat-shops are making.

I'd even go as far to say buying cheap crap like this is unethical.

I follow you but do know that the so called more expensive brands do sometimes even worse on the ethical scale.

This website is a good tool to make a decision where to buy what in terms of decent payment for the workers, ecofriendliness etc....

Just an example regarding the fleecejackets.
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/fashion-clothing/shopping-guide/fleece-jackets

Waterproof jackets...
https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/fashion-clothing/shopping-guide/waterproof-insulated-jackets

decathlon is a very very very dangerous shop if you are a woman ;) equally as dangerous as IKEA ... I'll just buy a t-shirt ... final price $499 ... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

So true! I just left Decathlon in Granada with the cross body bag AND a new pair of shoes. Could have gone nuts but space prevented it! Had trekking poles as low as €4,99 a pair (I believe), merino leggings, hats, ponchos, and so much more at good prices.

Thanks again for the reco on the bag!

€60,-
I follow you but do know that the so called more expensive brands do sometimes even worse on the ethical scale.
Exactly what I though when reading @long trails posts and you even provide some evidence.

I'm not just the last 100km hiker as you can see from my signature and I found Decathlon equipment of fairly good quality and longevity for the price I paid.

But I did hear that Quechua boots/shoes and backpacks aren't really good although I didn't try them. My experience is about clothes.

Exactly what I though when reading @long trails posts and you even provide some evidence.

I'm not just the last 100km hiker as you can see from my signature and I found Decathlon equipment of fairly good quality and longevity for the price I paid.

But I did hear that Quechua boots/shoes and backpacks aren't really good although I didn't try them. My experience is about clothes.
No Quecha walking boots not for long stay I have to replace mine every 18 months here in Tenerife the soles wear down very quickly.

I had to buy a backpack once and it lasted about two weeks of trail. It was a seriously bad product.

If you are in the slightest bit ethical about where you shop then you'd avoid Decathlon.

Evidence is for everyone to see. Go into one of their stores and see how cheap their gear is. How can they possibly profit from a $3 t-shirt without employing manufacturers who don't pay their staff fairly?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had to buy a backpack once and it lasted about two weeks of trail. It was a seriously bad product.

If you are in the slightest bit ethical about where you shop then you'd avoid Decathlon.
I saw tons of pilgrims with Quechua backpacks and other gear from Decathlon that was not falling apart. I had to buy a new towel after leaving mine at an albergue, and the quality of the one that I bought at Decathlon was just good as the much more expensive towel that I bought at REI.

Evidence is for everyone to see. Go into one of their stores and see how cheap their gear is. How can they possibly profit from a $3 t-shirt without employing manufacturers who don't pay their staff fairly?

actually mass production is a lot cheaper than limited production for example most prison food its budgetted at around 3 gbp per prisoner (in the UK) I dont really see how someone could live on a three meals a day at that price or for a family - but I do see your point, find me ANY company these days that dont rely on cheap "slave labour" no company I know pays a basic salary that says a person is valuable " hey mister I value your life only being worth $10 an hour " its all extortion as far as I am concerned but hey what can we do? everyone knows that 4% of the world's population has 96% of the wealth..... and they are the ones who own all the companies......

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.