• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decathlon/Quechua MH500 40L pack

apmcintyre

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all,

Getting my equipment together for a possible Sept Camino Frances, for 2 weeks starting from SJPdP (and if not this year, then next).

Very specific question... Has anyone used the Decathlon/Quechua MH500 40L pack below?

I ordered one recently (365 days to return). Comes in 2 back sizes, wire frame, air/trampoline back, lightweight 1.4kg, reservoir pocket, main compartment side access zip, 10 yr warranty, etc. It feels really nice! I have an Osprey Farpoint 40 (another option) and it feels as well put together. And, most importantly it's cabin bag sized - unlike the Osprey Exos and Stratos which were my other options - and it's less than half the price! Plenty of experience with Decathlon stuff btw... Excellent quality and as good as the brand's IMHO.

Decathlon specifically say it's EU cabin sized and I've checked it against Ryanair specs. I haven't found too many (any?) 40L proper walking packs that are cabin sized.

Anybody have any experience of THIS PARTICULAR PACK?

Thanks!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

Getting my equipment together for a possible Sept Camino Frances, for 2 weeks starting from SJPdP (and if not this year, then next).

Very specific question... Has anyone used the Decathlon/Quechua MH500 40L pack below?

I ordered one recently (365 days to return). Comes in 2 back sizes, wire frame, air/trampoline back, lightweight 1.4kg, reservoir pocket, main compartment side access zip, 10 yr warranty, etc. It feels really nice! I have an Osprey Farpoint 40 (another option) and it feels as well put together. And, most importantly it's cabin bag sized - unlike the Osprey Exos and Stratos which were my other options - and it's less than half the price! Plenty of experience with Decathlon stuff btw... Excellent quality and as good as the brand's IMHO.

Decathlon specifically say it's EU cabin sized and I've checked it against Ryanair specs. I haven't found too many (any?) 40L proper walking packs that are cabin sized.

Thanks!

If the bag fit you and you are comfortable go for it.

This is so personal and 200 different brands can satisfy 200 different people.

For me 40 liters is to big to Carry clothing's and some personal things.

Some people use 30 liters and can walk 60 days without any problems.

I think the smallest size bag would be the objective and you should be comfortable.

Enjoy

I think the smallest size bag would be the objective and you should be comfortable.
Weight and comfort is more important to me than size. There are some 50 liter packs that are much lighter than some 20 liter packs.
As you said, there is a huge variety and it's a very personal choice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been using a lot of equipment from Decathlon for years and I am very satisfied. If they say they have a ten-year warranty, there’s no reason to doubt them. It looks like a pretty good backpack, with lots of compartments and well-padded straps.

Hi all,

Thanks!
Hi there. I can't speak for the Decathlon but I took the Osprey Farpoint 40 for the CF. It was sweet. No issues @ airport/very comfy and sufficient room for the Camino. You can't go wrong w/ the Osprey. My two cents worth. 🙂 Buen Camino!

Decathlon products are good quality but I find their packs too heavy - yours is 1.4kilo but an Osprey Talon 33 is 900gms, for instance and very comfortable - but it always has to come down to personal choice - if you like it buy it - my one real reservation is that the back panel looks very short to me, which would mean that the shoulder straps would have to rise up the shoulders before going over and being pulled down ... I do prefer a long back as it is more comfortable, a better fit, and allows adjustment to get the pack close to the body - on the one you have shown us that is an awful lot of pack above the top of the back panel.
Here is the back of yours compared to an Osprey Talon 33 so that you can see what I mean.

mountain-walking-rucksack-mh500-40l.jpg

bl_258684_d.jpg

Before buying a pack I always open one up and fill it with items in the shop until bulky full, and then try it on and adjust it.
Thing is, there are so many different quality packs out there - your personal choice which one should be 'yours'.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
the only way how to find out the qualities of a backpack is to load it with a decent weight and go out for a hike.
btw I have taken both Stratos 36 and Exos 48 in cabin on Finnair, TAP and Ryan flights obeying weight limits. their frames fit in the airport measuring box if you put it in diagonal way and adjust a little softer parts. keeping smile during this procedure is a must :)

Hi all,

Thanks!

Just asked a friend who has the exact same pack. No complaints whatsoever.
Like @wayfarer says : it ticks a lot of boxes.
Seems most of the Spanish and French pilgrims I met always had Decathlon packs!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Whatever pack you pick make sure it truly fits your back. There is plenty of YouTube advice on how to measure your back to get the correct fit. Cheaper, smaller, or lighter only work providing you don't give yourself back or shoulder trouble down the line. Otherwise this pack is the right price and quality for a pilgrimage to Santiago, who knows it will probably last long enough to do 3 or 4 if the camino bug bites🐞😁.

For me 40 liters is to big to Carry clothing's and some personal things.

30-40L seems to be the average recommend size for Camino newbies... Each to their own I suppose.

The pack seems to "carry quite small" - it's very lightweight and compresses down well, so even half full I'd be happy with it. Plus I'd rather have it a bit underfilled than bulging at the seams - makes it easier to pack and find stuff.

I basically think it's a poor man's Osprey Exos/Stratos... But with the advantage of being carry-on friendly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is not an ad but a personal comment. Almost all my kit came from Decathlon; most was bought in 2004 for the first CF. Only new boots were purchased from them every 3 years or so.

Sturdy equipment at a reasonable price seems to be Decathlon's unwritten and successful motto. Good quality but nothing fancy, no glitz. Nothing that anyone would want to take or steal.

Discretion is protection. No fanny pack nor camera bag. I have traveled the world, often alone, but ALWAYS discreetly.

This is not an ad but a personal comment. Almost all my kit came from Decathlon; most was bought in 2004 for the first CF. Only new boots were purchased from them every 3 years or so.

Sturdy equipment at a reasonable price seems to be Decathlon's unwritten and successful motto. Good quality but nothing fancy, no glitz. Nothing that anyone would want to take or steal.

Discretion is protection. No fanny pack nor camera bag. I have traveled the world, often alone, but ALWAYS discreetly.
La vraie façon de faire! Discrètement.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That pack will work just fine.
Just about any decently made pack will work. What's far more important than pack choice is physical condition and pack contents and weight. That is walk the Camino with the least amount of gear possible.

I find their packs too heavy - yours is 1.4kilo but an Osprey Talon 33 is 900gms

Not necessarily... The Talon 44 (a closer match for the Decathlon pack) is listed as also being 1.4kg on the Osprey site.

I currently have an Osprey Farpoint 40 and have had a Talon 22 in the past - great packs. I did find the Talon a tad under-padded though.

Interesting point on the harness though... I must compare with my Farpoint side-by-side!

I have taken both Stratos 36 and Exos 48 in cabin on Finnair, TAP and Ryan flights obeying weight limits. their frames fit in the airport measuring box
Hmmm... Interesting and good to know. I've read mixed reports - and been in trouble a couple of times myself, so prefer to error on the side of caution now! The Exos seems to be 20cm longer than allowed? Not exactly marginal.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Well... i wouldn't go so far as to call this backpack "lightweight", but "bang for the buck" Decathlon stuff is usually very good. If you like it, and don't care to spend more, it will work. And even if not, it's easily replaced.

Not necessarily... The Talon 44 (a closer match for the Decathlon pack) is listed as also being 1.4kg on the Osprey site.

I currently have an Osprey Farpoint 40 and have had a Talon 22 in the past - great packs. I did find the Talon a tad under-padded though.

Interesting point on the harness though... I must compare with my Farpoint side-by-side!

Very good point - apologies re weight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmmm... Interesting and good to know. I've read mixed reports - and been in trouble a couple of times myself, so prefer to error on the side of caution now! The Exos seems to be 20cm longer than allowed? Not exactly marginal.
Well, Ryan allows carry on 10kg wheelie bag 55x40x20cm. If we believe Pythagor, then the diagonal of that box is 68cm. The metal frame (limiting dimension) of my Exos 48 is about 65 cm, so properly adjusting the shape of the pack is fits it that infamous measuring box. It works if the pack is not overstuffed and if the boarding lady is not in extremely bad mood. Actually in real life a slightly bigger backpack occupies less space in the upper locker than max size rectangular suitcase, so no worries about the fellow travellers either :cool:

Well, Ryan allows carry on 10kg wheelie bag 55x40x20cm. If we believe Pythagor, then the diagonal of that box is 68cm. The metal frame (limiting dimension) of my Exos 48 is about 65 cm, so properly adjusting the shape of the pack is fits it that infamous measuring box. It works if the pack is not overstuffed and if the boarding lady is not in extremely bad mood. Actually in real life a slightly bigger backpack occupies less space in the upper locker than max size rectangular suitcase, so no worries about the fellow travellers either :cool:

No reason to doubt Pythagoras! Thanks for confirming it fits. Now I'm in a quandary... 😂 Might just hold onto the Quechua and put the Exos/Stratos on reserve list for future trips!

No reason to doubt Pythagoras! Thanks for confirming it fits. Now I'm in a quandary... 😂 Might just hold onto the Quechua and put the Exos/Stratos on reserve list for future trips!
Sure, Quechua pack should be just fine for Camino.
One thing what I really like about Ospreys is the possibility to squeeze in a water bladder between the pack and trampoline mesh. In this way the center of mass gets closer to the body, what feels much better when scrambling. Not really important for walking Camino though.
Another priceless feature is the “anti-gravity” suspension on some of their packs. It feels like the pack hugs you 😜

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But more and more europeans are discovering Ospreys.
There is no doubt Osprey is popular on the caminos. To carry underwear and lights stuff no problems.

But if you carry heavyweight let's say food for a week in the middle of nowhere you better chose another brand because the light frame break under heavy load.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is no doubt Osprey is popular on the caminos. To carry underwear and lights stuff no problems.

But if you carry heavyweight let's say food for a week in the middle of nowhere you better chose another brand because the light frame break under heavy load.
I have hiked long distances with heavy loads (mainly due to water and food) in my Osprey Exos and found it to be comfortable and also extremely strong. That includes it dropping over a 40 foot ledge through some extreme carelessness on my behalf when sitting down having a sandwich. I know many others who swear by Osprey. I've never heard of a frame breaking, and they're covered by quite a unique guarantee in the rucksack world, something that shows the makers confidence in this particular product.

Last year me and my son spent an autonomous week on Kungsleden with Exos 48 and Atmos 65, starting with 18kg and 21kg respectively. Actually for more than that I would rather look for donkeys/huskies instead of an osprey :rolleyes:. These rucksacks are not in the expedition class of course, but more than fine for such purposes.

Attachments

• KungsL.JPG
    KungsL.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The Quechua rucksack looks fine to me, some very good features And excellent video. I wish it had been available when I was doing planning. I would be tempted to swap my Osprey Talon for one of these. Very good price too. Try it fully loaded, if it’s comfortable definitely go for it mate.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The Quechua rucksack looks fine to me, some very good features And excellent video. I wish it had been available when I was doing planning. I would be tempted to swap my Osprey Talon for one of these. Very good price too. Try it fully loaded, if it’s comfortable definitely go for it mate.

Thanks Greg. I had a smaller Talon years ago - 22L I think... Used it as a daily pack for work, college, shopping, trips, etc. Great pack. That size didn't have an internal frame though. There's a chap on Youtube has done a review of the Quechua since I posted

Decathlon products are good quality but I find their packs too heavy - yours is 1.4kilo but an Osprey Talon 33 is 900gms, for instance and very comfortable - but it always has to come down to personal choice - if you like it buy it - my one real reservation is that the back panel looks very short to me, which would mean that the shoulder straps would have to rise up the shoulders before going over and being pulled down ... I do prefer a long back as it is more comfortable, a better fit, and allows adjustment to get the pack close to the body - on the one you have shown us that is an awful lot of pack above the top of the back panel.
Here is the back of yours compared to an Osprey Talon 33 so that you can see what I mean.

View attachment 99921

View attachment 99920

Before buying a pack I always open one up and fill it with items in the shop until bulky full, and then try it on and adjust it.
Thing is, there are so many different quality packs out there - your personal choice which one should be 'yours'.
I use an Osprey Talon for Caminos. You will find it comfortable, lightweight, well ventilated, and durable. It will last for many caminos and will become a prized possession. I actually use the 44 liter model, which is too big for a Camino, but I only fill it about 2/3s. An advantage of the extra room is that it is easier to access items without unloading the contents. I can usually sneak the 44 liter model onto an airplane as carry-on

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Decathlon has a hunting section - really hard to find on the website. For some reason the hunting clothes, etc, are cheaper than the hiking. For example, they have excellent brown 100% cotton T shirts for £4.99 (I own about ten of them, my go-to T shirt) .. fleeces much cheaper than the 'hiking' fleece cost. And of course most is khaki drab, which I prefer - who wants to be bright red or blue???

So, this is not a recommendation, merely an observation of a pack I saw today
- re rucksacks - they sell a 50L 'Access' rucksack .. is without all the bells and whistles but is a decent pack, for £39. They rate it at 1kg but I was in the store today and picked one up - seemed so light I got a scale from the fishing aisle and weighed it at 750gms. Has Molle fittings on the hip pockets and rear for attaching their small accessory bags. Nice padded belt with two zipped pockets, bottle holders, and so on - a very simple pack - no load lifter straps for instance - but excellent quality and very cheap at £39, long back, water repellent, plus rain cover, and as it is made for hunters it is properly abrasion resistant, oh, and it is khaki (is that a plus?). They also do a 20L version.

See video here -

At Decathlon - this link - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/x-acc...k-green/_/R-p-166791?mc=8382535&c=KHAKI_GREEN

Last edited:
Tried one of those a while ago. Hunters must get their midget gillies to wear these for the few minutes to carry the champagne and canapés from their Range Rovers to the beat. They are, in my opinion, not made (or marketed for that matter) , to be worn for long hikes day after day.

As for the khaki tees, the colour and price are OK but the material isn't the best stuff for hiking in.

Still worth a good look in that section though thanks for reminding me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.