• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decathlon

PJDonovan

Time of past OR future Camino
Has anyone bought a pack from Decathlon (a sporting goods store in France) for the Camino? If yes, were you satisfied with the purchase? And, if yes, which pack did you buy?

Cheers,

Patrick

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Patrick,

Almost all my kit came from Decathlon but most was bought 10 years ago for the first CF. Only new boots have been purchased from them every 3 years or so. Sturdy equipment at a reasonable price seems to be their unwritten and successful motto.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

MM

Patrick,

I do like Decathlon ( also here in Belgium ) and bought lots of stuff there ( except for backpack but lots of friends bought one there and are very pleased with it ). I do find the staff less informed about the products than the staff in a specialty ( independent ) camping store but that could just be the staff in the Decathlon I shop in of course.
On the Caminos I walked I saw alot of pilgrims, mostly French or Spanish , walking with the Decathlon brand Quechua pack.
Happy buying!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anyone bought a pack from Decathlon (a sporting goods store in France) for the Camino? If yes, were you satisfied with the purchase? And, if yes, which pack did you buy?

Cheers,

Patrick

I can't remember for packs but Decathlon sells store brand and name brand stuff. The store brand stuff changes. So even if somebody bought a pack last year they loved this years could be different.

The packs I have from Decathlon are small city bags. Can't complain for the price.

I've looked at the bigger packs and they seem like okay average packs. They aren't fancy. There are worst ones out there. OTOH you can likely find better on sale if you invest some time.

Yep, the Quechua brand is very popular in Spain and France. I bought a daypack in Decathlon, for my Sunday walks, two years ago, and it is still in good condition.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Patrick,

Almost all my kit came from Decathlon but most was bought 10 years ago for the first CF. Only new boots have been purchased from them every 3 years or so. Sturdy equipment at a reasonable price seems to be their unwritten and successful motto.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

MM
Thanks for that!

Patrick,

I do like Decathlon ( also here in Belgium ) and bought lots of stuff there ( except for backpack but lots of friends bought one there and are very pleased with it ). I do find the staff less informed about the products than the staff in a specialty ( independent ) camping store but that could just be the staff in the Decathlon I shop in of course.
On the Caminos I walked I saw alot of pilgrims, mostly French or Spanish , walking with the Decathlon brand Quechua pack.
Happy buying!
Thankfs for that Sabine.

I don't have a Decathlon/Quecha pack. But when I walked my Camino last year they were absolutely everywhere. By far the most popular brand I saw during my walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Cheers,

Patrick
I bought a Forclaz Easy-Fit from Decathlon (60L because I always carry too much...), and it's brilliant. The load is balanced, and I didn't feel the weight of it. Worth the money - I think it was around the €80 mark, but can't now remember.

I bought a Forclaz Easy-Fit from Decathlon (60L because I always carry too much...), and it's brilliant. The load is balanced, and I didn't feel the weight of it. Worth the money - I think it was around the €80 mark, but can't now remember.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll go to Decathalon next week to check it out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
PJ,
We shopped a Decathlon in Burgos while on the Camino. I guess I have two somewhat contrary impressions: 1) it really was the best I saw in Spain besides that great backpacking store in Astorga; 2) it does not really compare to the quality we can get in the states. Sort of high sales volume, middling quality products. On packs, you can get much lighter, and better packs. I have never tried in France, but from the internet it appears that IGLOO SAS SPORTS in Toulouse carries some Osprey products. Also look for an Exped dealer (I think they are a German company). And the American cottage manufacturers are (IMO) making the best packs in the world right now. Look at Zpacks, Elemental Horizons, ULA. They have no dealers--you just order online. Even the REI flash series I think is better and lighter than what I saw in Decathlon. That being said, lots of people (especially the Spanish) carry the Quecha packs. But I would not--too heavy.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.