• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December and January

Magnara

Maggie Ramsay
Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago de Compostela (2005) Via Francigena (2010) Le Puy to St Jean (2014)
Hi
I'm trying to work out when I can walk that fits in with time I can have off work. Ideal would be December and January. I am concerned that it will be snowing / raining and impossibly cold - is there any information on this? I have looked up the daily max and min temperatures but can't find anything descriptive. If December and January are crazy, what would be the earliest in the year that people would recommend (I prefer cool weather to hot weather)?
Magnara

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi and welcome Magnara!

The weather-question is tough one... in December and January you can be lucky and get 10-15c and sun (even at higher elevations) or you can get -5c and 30 cm of snow (at higher elevations in Galicia).

As a Norwegian that has been out in -35c, this is not too bad... but I guess it depends what you are used to.

There are pilgrims arriving in Santiago all year around, so it is not impossible. The number of pilgrims really pick up around March/April. I think this would be a perfect time to walk if you want to avoid the hot weather and the big-crowds of summer.

Anyone else with some tips for Magnara?

Un saludo,
Ivar

Winter Pilgrimage

She could contact Sue Kenny who did a pilgrimage in winter.
http://www.suekenney.ca

also, a pilgrim who loved the winter pilgrimage

jsty(at)uwtgc.org

The CSJ UK has a paper by Alison Raju on winter pilgrimage:

http://www.csj.org.uk/bull-arts/a-raju-art.htm

This is what they say about going in winter:

What about going in winter ?
If you are thinking of going in winter, remember that the meseta is on average 800m above sea level, and that the passes over the Pyrenees, the Montes de León and O Cebreiro on the Camino francés, and the passes of A Canda and Padornelo on the Via de la Plata all reach about 1,400m. It can be very cold, wet, and windy, and you can meet deep snow. Two pilgrims died when they were caught in blizzards during the crossing to Roncesvalles in January and April 2002. Accommodation may be less plentiful, since not all the refugios operate in the winter. Don't be altogether discouraged, but do be aware of the risks: click here for a description by one of our members of making the pilgrimage in winter, and for some sound practical advice.

We have more recently (late March 2005) heard an appalling story about two pilgrims who neglected local advice in St Jean Pied-de-Port and attempted to follow the Route Napoléon in snow. They very nearly died. We cannot emphasise too strongly: MOUNTAINS ARE DANGEROUS and LOCAL PEOPLE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. Disregard their advice about weather conditions at your peril.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi
I'm so pleased to have received a reply! Thank you. However I have tried to email to jsty@uwtgc.org and it comes back us undeliverable mail. Do you have any other email address for jsty? What I am reading makes me a bit concerned about the winter walk idea, but I would still like to find out more. Is there anywhere that I can get weather data for the last few years about predictable snow fall - like how deep, how often? I can find rain info but no snow info.
Many thanks
Magnara

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.