• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December Camino?

Pink Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino September-October 2017
Buen Camino Everyone! The Camino is calling me back (my first was September 2017), but I only have vacation December 7th through the New Year.

Does anyone walk in December? Is everything really closed like my guidebook warns? Are the mountain areas closed due to snow? Basically asking if I’m crazy to even think about it...thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino Everyone! The Camino is calling me back (my first was September 2017), but I only have vacation December 7th through the New Year.

Does anyone walk in December? Is everything really closed like my guidebook warns? Are the mountain areas closed due to snow? Basically asking if I’m crazy to even think about it...thanks!
Go walk and tell us all about it. I have done all my walks from Late September to early November. I am off to the Norte in September. But I would like to do the Camino Frances again but it is too crowded for me when I usually walk. I have watched some YouTube videos about winter walking and it sure looks like if you are prepared the walk in winter could be magical. So go walk and tell us all about your experience! Buen Camino!

We walked in December - wonderful experience. Albergues are open but further apart, sometimes we used private accomodation. Mostly brilliant sunny days and cold, perfect for walking. Carry food snacks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Walked in November 2016 until early Dec and will repeat this November again.
It was a mixed bag of goods, in the sum of all things though, fantastic

Walked in December twice - in 15/16 there was a lot of mist and rain and visibility at times was very short especially on the higher ground. In 16/17 after a cold start each morning it warmed up and there were blue skies every day - managed to get to SJPP without getting wet ! So weather can be variable but never really got cold. Only saw snow on the mountains, not on the Camino.

The Pilgrims Office in SJPP will have a list of open Albergues - also usually available on this site. Most Hospitaleros will be able to advise on the next one to go to. Normally you see the same people each evening, so the limited choice actually helps by concentrating the Peregrinos and helping make it worthwhile to open.

There are about 8 hours of daylight in December so no problems if you want to cover longer distances.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

No you are not crazy but go prepared. Look at @mspath links.
Have a wonderful time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back