Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

December on the Frances

rdupilgrim

Past OR future Camino
Hi! I'm looking to start in Leon on December 3rd and walk to Santiago. I know there are not too many on the way in December, but I thought I would see if anyone is planning on being in that area around that time.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Gumba

Past OR future Camino
Hi rdupilgrim, welcome to the forum. I am not walking this year, just wanted to say it is a magical time to walk though. I walked with my family from sjpdp-sdc Dec '19/January '20. I was in Leon for Three Kings Day - 6 Jan. We had great weather - by that I mean sun and minimal wind! We would wake up to temps of -4C and generally reach highs of 10C. There were about 15-20 pilgrims a day with several starting from Leon, probably less this year due to covid.

Buen Camino

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
rdupilgrim,

During happy, easier past years late autumn and winter were the best times to walk the CF for me.

Accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share info.

Enjoy your planning and whenever/wherever you do go Buen camino.

Last edited:

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
rdupilgrim,

During happy, easier past years late autumn and winter were the best times to walk the CF for me.

Accommodation started to close mid October but some place was always open. Hospitaleros usually could give advice on who/what was available on the next stage. There were no crowds and beds/bunks were available. I usually slept in an albergue, often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Helpful passing strangers also gave advice. Little was hectic; without the hordes of summer all had time to share info.

Enjoy your planning and whenever/wherever you do go Buen camino.
Very good description of what it is like in winter. It is a different feeling and I think a more independent type of pilgrim who is just as friendly, warm and giving but values a more solitude and quiet pilgrimage.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
Hi! I'm looking to start in Leon on December 3rd and walk to Santiago. I know there are not too many on the way in December, but I thought I would see if anyone is planning on being in that area around that time.
Great time to walk - although accommodation will be limited; very much so around Los Reyes / Navidad (Christmas, not locations!).

There is a (probably outdated - and with Covid, isn’t everything) list of winter albergues available and the pilgrim office in St Jean will have their list. Phone ahead if you can.

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

Marbe2

Past OR future Camino
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
Not-only are many albergues closed, but so are some small stores and bars, or their hours are limited. You could very well travel from Sarria to Ponferrada, or from Najera to Santa Domingo del Calzada e.g., and not see a but a few pilgrims with no supportive infrastructure inbetween such stretches. As long as you are prepared in advance it can be a peaceful, serene journey.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads