• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

December walk from Almeria

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
I started my short Mozárabe walk today and am sitting in the bar of the Hostal Mirasierra in Abla after a sturdy and much needed meal!
So I started in Nacimiento and walked the Riverbank route to Abla.
Just a couple of things to note. It is very cold during the night and morning but then at 12pm I took off two warm layers and walked in teeshirt top in glorious sunshine. I never met another peregrino and still haven't!
If you follow the river bank route which is lovely but a bit sore on the feet (I wouldn't attempt in sandals), keep looking for "Parque Naturel" signs on your left. At first I was tempted to follow some turn offs to the left but there were no arrows and I soon realised you keep going straight (ish)
Alan mentions the little hamlets of Dona Maria and Ocana. The arrows take you into each. But the bar/cafe in Dona Maria was closed ( maybe for me the time of the day or time of the year or both) and the arrows in Ocana lead to a decent looking Albergue which looked closed but I didn't check. Though there was a little social club where you can get refreshments.
I have been told that tomorrow is a fiesta day in Spain so shops will be closed.
This looks a beautiful route and there is snow on the Sierra Nevada mountains. If you like a quieter route I think this is one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For those who are going to walk this wonderful Camino and are thinking of staying in Alquife there are I believe 3 accommodation choices. I don't know what the other two are like but I am staying in the brilliant Albergue Lacho and I love it!
Manuel the hospitalero is in my opinion a wonderful person who loves what he does, loves having peregrinos and for me has made this day my best day do far, albeit I am only walking a very short walk to Granada.
The Albergue has everything and you can tell Manuel wants you to have a good stay. And he provides breakfast. He took me down to a local pub where I had a good supper but if I had known I would probably brought some provisions as there is a wonderful kitchen and dining area. BRILLIANT!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie. I would say that since Kevin O'Brien's great guide a couple of years ago ,signage is better but sometimes easily missable. I think you really need to know where you are going especially out of some towns. The arrows and wall signs can be easily missed. I am only going a short distance on my own and find that I lose the signs quite easily. Today from Guadix to La Peza wasn't great for the second part from Purullena I just couldn't find the signs. Just be alert.

Well what a wonderful walk today. For me the best so far . Following Kevin's guide if the weather is okay leave La Peza and go up over the hills for about 6k wonderful route but only if the weather says so! Then down onto main road to Quentar and after about 4k turn right for a most glorious walk again dependent on weather. Up through the national park, there's a lovely picnic area maybe after 4 or 5k . In the sunshine I had sardines bread and some lovely cold water- life doesn't get better than that for me on any Camino!
Then a lovely forest path walk up to the amazing white quarry area. Incredible views coming down but for me a bit scary as the initial descent was loose rubble and then a short "ledge" vertigo walk which reminded me of the Salvador. So I just didn't look down for 5 mins or so!
But views that are breathe taking and then eventually down into the lovely town of Quentar.
As Kevin says though it does walk more like 30ish k than 27k!
Fabulous day in my opinion.

Last edited:
My short walk came to an end today because of the awful weather in the morning. All night terrible storm which h left Quentar with no power in the morning! Then heavy rain. The thing I have learnt very much on this Camino is to have great respect for the weather and walking alone more so because of the remoteness of some parts. So with a heavy heart I decided to forego the walk to Granada. But I got the local taxi to drop me off in the wonderful Sacremonte suburb and I walked in the rain into the city last the wonderful Alhambra walls.
This short walk has been wonderful but for me a little challenging psychologically. I used to be prone to panic attacks many years ago especially in open areas where there weren't any people. This walk has finally taken away the fear of being alone in very remote areas whether level or "arriba". Still there were moments when looking ahead or back I had to take a few deep breaths. But as always when I finish walking the Camino. I give thanks and ask myself "well what next?"
Thanks to Kevin O'Brien for his great guide and Alan Sykes for advice on Albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back