• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deciphering Spanish menus

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
Hello!

Can anyone recommend a site where I could download a comprehensive Spanish to English (or French) lexicon of the terms used in Spanish restaurants?

Last time I did the Camino I photocopied a list from a popular guide book but in practice it turned out to be quite inadequate.

Thank you for your help!

God bless you all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm... not sure if I have any recommendations for you. Please note that in Galicia most menus are in Gallego (not castellano), this will of course add some complexity to your dictionary-search.

Have a look at this menu to see if you can understand (in Gallego):
menu-do-dia.jpg

Would it be enough just to have a list of the most commonly used words, like "Meat", "Fish", "Seafood" and so on.... then try to talk to the waiter and see if you could figure out the rest..

Even within Galicia they have different names for some of the dishes served here.

Sorry for posting a not-so-very-helpful post, anyone else have an idea for eamann?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for posting your solution Éamann.

Do you think you would be able to share your document once completed? If so, e-mail it to me (ivar.rekve [at] gmail.com) and I will pdf it and post it here for future pilgrims.

Buen camino and thanks for your post,
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Translating Spanish

You can buy a credit-card size, Seiko English-Spanish translator ET 2240 for $29.95 with advanced verb conjugation that will really help to translate menus in Spanish. Multi-language ones manufactured by Franklin or Lingo range in price from $50 to $500

spanish menus

I looked at eamann's menu dictionary and it looks great but may I suggest a few more words for the non-spanish speaker?
For a start it has no drinks and so agua =water, cafe = coffee, cerveza = beer, te = tea and vino (tinto/blanco) = wine (red/white)
Also almuerzo = lunch (or snack), cena = dinner/supper
Then for courtesy etc, por favor = please, gracias = thank you, quiero = I would like, la cuenta = the bill, cuanto cuesta = how much does it cost, los servicios = the toilets ( though other words such as aseos may be used), senor = gentleman and senora = lady.
Finally at the hostal, cama = bed, habitation = room and noche = night.

I learned most of my (dodgy) Spanish in South America where outside the middle class little English was spoken, and agree with those that say that so long as you are willing to have a go you will get by. Gestures, smiles, bad Spanish, pictures and careful listening got me a lot further
than sticking my nose in a dictionary, worrying about getting it wrong.

Good walking

Paul

room=habitación; single=individual; double=doble

Eamann's list has a distinctly Latin American tang. One obvious thing that's missing is the ubiquitous pulpo = octopus. The pulperia (bar serving pulpo) is a Galician institution. And how can anyone compile a list of food-related terms that doesn't include tapas. :shock: Conversely, what Spaniard ever offered Yorkshire Pudding? ¡Dios mio! :roll:

I often find fish problematic, as a wide variety is available, particularly in Galicia. Quite often, even when I've looked up the English word, I'm none the wiser. :)

Other useful words are 'beber', to drink (if you hear the waiter ask something which includes the word 'beber', you'll know what you're being asked). And 'que aproveche' (bon appetit, enjoy your meal), to which the reply is simply gracias or muchas gracias; teacher will give you extra marks if you wish other diners 'que aproveche' when you enter a dining-room. And if you want to express your satisfaction, try delicioso or buenisimo.

A problem in some of the smaller places is that there may not be a menu. The waiter will simply tell you what's available and ask what you want and how you want it cooked - something to really test your Spanish :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would be the first to admit that the list I have forwarded is far from complete. It seems to me to be a Spanish translation of a list of English terms. What we need is a translation of Spanish terms. For example, my list does not contain the following terms to be found in Spanish menus, to name but a few:

Arbeyo, Ragu Prisuelo Picadillo Rebeco Borrachinos Escanda Panchon Pichon Ancas Rosquillos Churrasco Nabo Panceta Hornazo Zorongollo Perronillas Aguja Migas

Eamann

well, I'm afraid I haven't a clue what most of those are :-(
Ragu = ragout
Pichon = pigeon
churrasco is quite well-known from Argentinian restaurants - a sort of barbecued beef/steak
pancho is on the list; see under perro. -ón is a common augmentative, so panchón is probably a big pancho. Possibly perronitas are related. -ito/a is a common diminutive in Spanish - as in senorita, a little senora.

At least with a menu, you get hints as to whether it's a meat, fish, veg or dessert. If it's a complete dish, it may be a regional name and even other Spaniards may not know what it is. It's probably untranslatable too - how do you translate paella for example? (another thing missing from the list)

P.S. 2 things I regretted ordering: callos=tripe, sesos=brains (particularly as I had it when there was all the fuss about BSE)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.