• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decision made

robertt

Hi pilgrims

Heaps of reasons against, as usual, but I'm off to finish the Camino Frances, starting from Pamplona late January. The present plan is to extend by walking down the coast to Porto, a reverse Portugues.

I've paid fares etc. No pulling back. I'm as nervous as an Australian opening bat. Gonna be cold, but I really couldn't face the crowds and heat. No doubt AndrewH will streak past me, just like sagalouts did at Conques. Andrew, look for a blue Kathmandu pack moving at an unnaturally slow pace.

Will be walking with '10 Miam Miam Dodo, and will buy a cheap Spanish phone. Anyone know if it will work in Portugal?

Santiago!

Rob

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Robert,
There is some consolation for the fact I can't manage to go walking in 2011: I am going to be able to 'follow' you again as you walk /dawdle!! Plus Kay- a fellow Kiwi- is going to be walking the Le Puy route mid-year. So I can rejoice and be there 'by proxy' with the pair of you fellow Antipodeans.
Margaret

robertt said:
Hi pilgrims

Heaps of reasons against, as usual, but I'm off to finish the Camino Frances, starting from Pamplona late January. The present plan is to extend by walking down the coast to Porto, a reverse Portugues.

I've paid fares etc. No pulling back. I'm as nervous as an Australian opening bat. Gonna be cold, but I really couldn't face the crowds and heat. No doubt AndrewH will streak past me, just like sagalouts did at Conques. Andrew, look for a blue Kathmandu pack moving at an unnaturally slow pace.

Will be walking with '10 Miam Miam Dodo, and will buy a cheap Spanish phone. Anyone know if it will work in Portugal?

Santiago!
...................................................................................

Hi Rob,
Have fun!

Be aware that pilgs going south on the Cam Port. from SDC are not allowed to stay in the alb. in Tui. But it's a short walk over the bridge into Valença, Portugal, where there is a pousada next to the Firestation (bomberos).

PS Are Oz bats known to be nervous?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for tips and good wishes.

Nomad, it sounds like you need a Camino soon, girl. That Cluny extension, maybe?

Caminando, I should explain that an Oz bat is a cricketer, a creature designed by God for the humiliation of Englishmen and, ahem, New Zealanders.

Merry Chrissy

Rob

Sadly no funds yet Dawdler. But I am working on the idea. Have a 'preparatory' blog to help me pretend my departure is imminent :p http://dawdlingwalks.blogspot.com/ Some ideas for the Cluny route are being jotted there.....
Margaret

robertt said:
Thanks for tips and good wishes.

Nomad, it sounds like you need a Camino soon, girl. That Cluny extension, maybe?

Caminando, I should explain that an Oz bat is a cricketer, a creature designed by God for the humiliation of Englishmen and, ahem, New Zealanders.

Merry Chrissy

Rob

Ooops - I thought it was something to do with leather winged beasts. You will forgive me for I come from a cricket free country, where such pommie pastimes are unknown! :wink:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
as for your mobile phone question, major carriers in Spain give you coverage and the same rates anywhere in the Iberian peninsula.

Reb

Thanks for the phone tip, Rebekah. I might score a fifty euro pre-paid locked phone in Madrid that will do me for the trip.

I'm taking a sil tarp by Bear Paw that is not much more than a bed-protector for weight and size, but I can set it up under trekking poles if I feel like a camp in Spring. I've just ordered another pair of boots, another half-size up, because I want to be able to bulk up in the snow, and allow for swelling in the heat. I'll also leave the bottom rows unlaced for extra toe-room.

On the other hand, I'm not taking many spare clothes. Why carry clothes when it's cold? Wear 'em. One moth-eaten layer can be ditched as the weather warms. And I won't take a huge selection of tea to make with my Baby Trangia. Just four or five Darjeelings, an Assam, a Lapsang, a Dancong, a Georgian for samovar-style, some vintage puerh, some...Somebody stop me!

I've got a fairly serious down bag in case the heating is down.

Of course, I really don't know what I'm doing.

Leaving bush tomorrow for Chrissy with family in Sydney, then off to Madrid in late January.

Thanks for tips and wishes

Rob

Pulling into the Burgos albergue Santiago y Santa Catalina late one cold, rainy evening, I tossed a wet pair of socks onto a radiator to dry. A fellow pilgrim asked, "Those don't smell, do they?" I replied, "I have been walking for two weeks in the rain. Everything I own smells."

Extra clothes are optional at all times!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back