• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decisions soon—Advice please! Bilbao or irun?

gypsy9

Hola! Feeling so blissful w some great walking. Lourdes to Roncesveaux—crowds too much now for me now tho—considering del Norte from Pamplona but bus to irun from Pamplona so late in the day for me—6pm—bus to Bilbao—can I get to irun easily? Or begin Camino from Bilbao—don’t want road walking as a bit sore....thanks so much!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola! Feeling so blissful w some great walking. Lourdes to Roncesveaux—crowds too much now for me now tho—considering del Norte from Pamplona but bus to irun from Pamplona so late in the day for me—6pm—bus to Bilbao—can I get to irun easily? Or begin Camino from Bilbao—don’t want road walking as a bit sore....thanks so much!!!

Hi, gypsy9, Yes, Irún to Bilbao is lovely. I took a bus from Pamplona to Irún when I finished my Camino Baztán last year and it was quick and easy. I took a bus around 1 in the afternoon, I think, and there were other options. I don’t understand whether the 6 pm bus you are referring to is to Bilbao or to Irún.

I vote for starting in Irún if you have time. And if you are weary from road walking, you should check out some of the coastal alternatives several of us have posted about. Lots of the official Camino del Norte is on pavement, along the side of a road or highway, but there are lots of off-road beautiful coastal alternatives just a km or so away if you know how to get there.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/coastal-alternatives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to avoid confusion Irun to Bilbao is not the first stage.That's Irun to San Sebastian. Bilbao is almost a week away and you would miss some interesting spots along the way !

You could also start in Donostia (San Sebastian), I guess the connection is better. You should not miss the stages to Bilbao, amazing landscapes along the camino. Strenuous though for the many climbs and descents.

I have walked only part of the Del Norte - from Irun to Santander. For me, Irun to Bilbao was the best of that. From Bilbao to Santander, there was way too much road walking for my liking. Also, if you plan to start in Irun, I highly recommend a visit (or overnight) in Hondarribia, old town a few kms from Irun. And you can start camino del Norte from there. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks so much...I was told only one bus to irun from Pamplona at six! Have wifi now and so will do my own research....am now in ziburi, sitting by a river....great weather too and my shoes are dry and no mud!

There might be an earlier bus Pamplona to San Sebastian and just start walking from there. All you would miss is the 1st day.

Ultreya,
Joe

If you are afraid of climbing, start in Bilbao. After that there is no big problem. But if you are in good fitt, there is no problem to start in Irun.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Irun! Irun! Irun! :D

(I haven't been there yet, but SO MANY people say the stages from there are among the most beautiful of all caminos! :D)

There might be an earlier bus Pamplona to San Sebastian and just start walking from there. All you would miss is the 1st day.

Ultreya,
Joe
The stage from Irun to San Sebastian was perhaps the hardest of all Norte stages but it was also a beautiful one. The climb up the Jaizkibel is very steep on some stretches, but the reward is also big. (not only the views but also the satisfaction of having reached the summit) There is also a lower route. You can break up the stage and stay in Passages de San Juan.

There are frequent buses from Pamplona to San Sebastian. From San Sebastian the suburban railway ('Topo') runs every half hour to Irun. Agree with @Jenny@zen that Hondarrabia would be a good place to start. There is an albergue up the hill towards Guadelupe. There are also buses from San Sebastian to the airport, which is in Hondarrabia.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fantastic advice—thanks again: in casa paderborn...Pamplona...it’s lovely—bus to San Sebastián tomorrow morning—planned to stay the night but now considering rail to irun or hondarabia—I do feel fit but definitely would stop at pasa de San Juan...excited...

Hola gypsy9. If you decide to go to Hondarribia, you won't be sorry. Hope it all goes well. Buen camino.

Thanks—yes—either Hondaribbe or walk to youth hostel la Sirena 3 km past San Sebastián...have a swim...before beginning the next day. Hopefully accommodation is readily available on this Camino at this time..,seems a little more pricey than CF

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back