• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Decorating my Pack!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had done by a Professional seamstress using a light cotton thread. You can also glue them on with glue available at any Fabric store.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife was kind enough to sew several patches, including my Forum patch, to my rucksack with clear monofilament that I bought in the jewelry "fixings" aisle of my local Michaels craft supply store.

It appears this line is intended for use to make necklaces or string beads. As the thread is more like a very, very fine fishing line, you cannot see it. The thread picks up whatever color it is sewn to. Use the thinnest gauge you can find as it is rather strong, and thinner gauge thread is easier to handle with embroidered patches and most pack fabrics. Use a thimble.

If you sew your patches on, remember to use a seam sealer (available at your local outdoor supplier) to touch up the INSIDE of the material where the thread punctures the rucksack material. Very few rucksacks are actually waterproof, but this will help keep moisture out of the bag. Alternatively, applying a clear silicone sealant with a cotton swab (sparingly) over the thread will also do the job. Just be sure not to "glue" the bag to itself in your haste.:eek:

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mine ended up like this.

The worst to sew were the St. James cross and the Quasares patch, one of the Portuguese Air Forces sections, were one of my best friends work.

Best Regards
Diogo

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    864.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    824.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 131
Yes, thanks Annie, I just picked myself up a tube of fabric glue.

Des is picking up my newly decorated back pack today - I wonder if I take some fabric glue with me on the walk if I can apply other patches as I walk ???

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For bike riders should we sew on indicator lights so they know which side to overtake on ???

May be so obvious but where do I get a forum badge? And best place to get a standard camino badge. I live in Australia. Happy to purchase online just can't work out who is reputable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought mine off this site. Somewhere at the top of the page you see a Camino Shop, cant see it on this phone tho so i had to use the laptop. Hope that helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
All of your backpacks look great!

Here's another suggestion...sew a Velcro strip on your backpack, then glue the Velcro counter-part on your Forum patch. It will be quite easy to switch out your patch according to venues. Replacing your backpack won't mean un-doing any sewing work.

Attachments

• backpack 2012.JPG
    backpack 2012.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
Look out for the red Osprey Kestrel bag, Camino Forum badge and South African "cricket" hat, and say hi when you see me.

View attachment 8860View attachment 8861View attachment 8862

I have an Osprey Kestrel backpack also (green). Did you sew or glue that patch onto that portion of your pack??? I didn't think you could attach it to a "stretchy" part!!! Let me know please. You may have solved one of my problems with getting all of my patches on that I want to attach.

Decorated my pack, and then I changed packs. I used an idea from my Marine Corps days and used Velcro.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1395620516.964470.jpg

Hi JP,
what did you use to sew them on, I'm worried of ruining the fabric of backpack and creating tears.
Cheers
I had four patches professionally sewn on. They look great, I can barely see the stitching and it has not affected the quality of the pack at all.

I'm assuming that patches are sold along the Camino itself? I am thinking of bringing fabric glue with me and buy patches along the camino to stick on my pack as I complete my camino. Good idea? Or better to save the weight of the fabric glue?

My question is can you get the shell in St Jean Pied De Port? I think anyone I meet with a pack I will assume is a pilgrim. The patches make for some interesting ice breakers, but I don't know I will add any unless they have a personal meaning. The shells with a cross I will look for.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My question is can you get the shell in St Jean Pied De Port? I think anyone I meet with a pack I will assume is a pilgrim. The patches make for some interesting ice breakers, but I don't know I will add any unless they have a personal meaning. The shells with a cross I will look for.
I have a shell from Ivar, but I have a shell/cross patch I got online that is on my pack. I velcroed it so I can use it on other packs. I might add my pilot's wings name tag to my patch since we all carry our pasts. Some of that past I will lay down at the Cruz de Fero.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have an Osprey Kestrel backpack also (green). Did you sew or glue that patch onto that portion of your pack??? I didn't think you could attach it to a "stretchy" part!!! Let me know please. You may have solved one of my problems with getting all of my patches on that I want to attach.
I'm sorry I didn't spot this question until today. My patch is stitched on. The original stitches (done by a seamstress) started to come undone, so I had to use my surgical skills to reattach it. My method was to first anchor it in 4 places, then fill in the gaps with a continuous suture.

Hi Gidivet, how did you attach the patch on the elastic fabric? dose not give any problem with use?
Thanks
Hi Pepin. I attached it with four stitches then filled in the gaps with a continuous stitch. It causes me no serious problems with the stretchy material.

I'm sorry I didn't spot this question until today. My patch is stitched on. The original stitches (done by a seamstress) started to come undone, so I had to use my surgical skills to reattach it. My method was to first anchor it in 4 places, then fill in the gaps with a continuous suture.

Thanks. I wound up gluing mine on and two of the three came off. I may try get mind done by a seamstress before my next camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All of your backpacks look great!

Here's another suggestion...sew a Velcro strip on your backpack, then glue the Velcro counter-part on your Forum patch. It will be quite easy to switch out your patch according to venues. Replacing your backpack won't mean un-doing any sewing work.
I did the same and it works very well.

That's my pack on the right. You can see my forum patch and my North Dakota flag patch. On the top lid of my pack I have an American flag. All were sewn on by a very jet-lagged me in my hotel room in Paris a couple days earlier. I didn't do the best job, but none of the stitching ever came off. Although I did take off the North Dakota patch so it could be hung up at the Elvis bar!IMG_0942_zpsbb5ed833.jpg

My pack (an Osprey) is so waterproofed that nothing sticks to it. I tried using fabric glue and the patches peeled right off. (I've used the same glue, Fabri-tac, on other fabrics and they held up for many washings). I even painted a symbol on the outside of the pack with acrylic paint and it rubbed off. I've never had that happen before. I was also unsure about sewing through the pack but I'll try sewing the patches on and then sealing the seams. Thanks.

Cheers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My pack (an Osprey) is so waterproofed that nothing sticks to it. I tried using fabric glue and the patches peeled right off. (I've used the same glue, Fabri-tac, on other fabrics and they held up for many washings). I even painted a symbol on the outside of the pack with acrylic paint and it rubbed off. I've never had that happen before. I was also unsure about sewing through the pack but I'll try sewing the patches on and then sealing the seams. Thanks.

Cheers.

Was it the waterproofness of the Osprey backpack, or were the patches you applied with glue all "iron-on" patches? I glued three patches onto my Osprey Kestrel and the two that were "iron-on" came off, but the one that wasn't "iron-on" is still holding fast.

Was it the waterproofness of the Osprey backpack, or were the patches you applied with glue all "iron-on" patches? I glued three patches onto my Osprey Kestrel and the two that were "iron-on" came off, but the one that wasn't "iron-on" is still holding fast.

Aha. They were "iron on" backed. I'll try one without. Thanks.

Cheers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We picked up our shell at the pilgrim office in SJDPDP, cost a euro

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.