A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Del Norte Attempt

• Thread starter Deleted member 91789
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 91789

In 2017 I had never left Canada. I was working a minimum wage job and going home to play video games. A Call of Duty brat. One day with my Astro's blaring gunshots in my ears and me rage yelling at the screen... I thought to a movie I watched years and years ago. The Way. I put the joystick down and immediately decided I was going to walk this walk that I saw in that movie long ago. I called a travel agent right then and there and booked a flight in 2 weeks to leave for France. I wasn't a hiker. I wasn't active. I've never left my country. I researched so little in my journey from couch to phone, that I ended up having to pay 600 dollars in flight changing fees later on.

Researching before leaving is failing me again. I'm researching a lot more this time, however.. covid rules keep changing everyday. It is hard to keep up. Who knows if my feet will even touch Spain soil when I arrive. All news is welcomed!

I made a lot of terrible mistakes walking that camino. At this time 3 years ago I just made it into Logrono. I stayed here for 3 days to nurse a very angry meniscus. One of my biggest, probably avoidable to an extent, mistakes. Though I feel more prepared by learning from all my past camino mistakes... I still feel as if I'm making another big mistake by attempting to walk Del Norte in the midst of a pandemic. Definitely an attempt, as I don't believe it is possible. I strongly believe the camino provides... as it did many times over for me,.. but can its providing magic work through a pandemic?? I guess I'll see.

This time I will be bringing a friend for comfort. My childhood bear :). Teddy Freddy.

Thus my motto for this journey is... I always get to where I am going, by walking away from where I have been - Pooh Bear.
PhotoGrid_1594652581565.jpg

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Welcome to the Forum to both you and Teddy Freddy. He is adorable! I do hope he gets a seat on the outside of your pack where he can see the scenery going by...

Not to throw cold water on your enthusiasm but just a heads up: there's a thread just posted today by someone who had to abort their Norte in Bilbao, because of how complicated accommodation was.

Would it be possible to continue where you left off on the Francés? Under the circumstances, it sounds like it will be easier there to find accommodation.

Wherever you decide to go, Buen Camino!

D

Deleted member 91789

Welcome to the Forum to both you and Teddy Freddy. He is adorable! I do hope he gets a seat on the outside of your pack where he can see the scenery going by...

Not to throw cold water on your enthusiasm but just a heads up: there's a thread just posted today by someone who had to abort their Norte in Bilbao, because of how complicated accommodation was.

Would it be possible to continue where you left off on the Francés? Under the circumstances, it sounds like it will be easier there to find accommodation.

Wherever you decide to go, Buen Camino!
Eeeek. Just read it. Thanks for sharing. Not cold water. It's good to know ahead of time. I finished the Frances when I walked it. Loved it... but not something I wish to do again .

I figured it cost more this time around because of the coast factor and the covid factor .. so I'll just walk anyways and see the ratio of how much I enjoy it to how much it is worth loosing high amounts every night :p. I intended to do a camino in Norway this year but they arent opening up this summer. So.. anything is better then nothing!

Thanks for the info!! :).

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Buen Camino, Peregrina! Sorry, I had misunderstood that you had stopped in Logroño...
(BTW, that avatar is unique. And very funny - thanks for the chuckle.)

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
In 2017 I had never left Canada. I was working a minimum wage job and going home to play video games. A Call of Duty brat. One day with my Astro's blaring gunshots in my ears and me rage yelling at the screen... I thought to a movie I watched years and years ago. The Way. I put the joystick down and immediately decided I was going to walk this walk that I saw in that movie long ago. I called a travel agent right then and there and booked a flight in 2 weeks to leave for France. I wasn't a hiker. I wasn't active. I've never left my country. I researched so little in my journey from couch to phone, that I ended up having to pay 600 dollars in flight changing fees later on.

Researching before leaving is failing me again. I'm researching a lot more this time, however.. covid rules keep changing everyday. It is hard to keep up. Who knows if my feet will even touch Spain soil when I arrive. All news is welcomed!

I made a lot of terrible mistakes walking that camino. At this time 3 years ago I just made it into Logrono. I stayed here for 3 days to nurse a very angry meniscus. One of my biggest, probably avoidable to an extent, mistakes. Though I feel more prepared by learning from all my past camino mistakes... I still feel as if I'm making another big mistake by attempting to walk Del Norte in the midst of a pandemic. Definitely an attempt, as I don't believe it is possible. I strongly believe the camino provides... as it did many times over for me,.. but can its providing magic work through a pandemic?? I guess I'll see.

This time I will be bringing a friend for comfort. My childhood bear :). Teddy Freddy.

Thus my motto for this journey is... I always get to where I am going, by walking away from where I have been - Pooh Bear.
View attachment 78801
When the call came you took it. ”the way”...called your name and you answered and now your life is changed forever...I think anyone who walked the camino can say something similar happened to them.

Don’t look at it as a mistake, Every action in it self is a learning experience..a Mind camino of sorts. Now you have more time to prepare for the next one.

I did the Norte last year. Had some issue due to a recurring injury But I kept going..off camino...making an even more interesting camino. I wear a giant metal brace on my left knee..So i know it is possible. You can do anything you put your mind to so stay positive

The Norte is different than the Frances, I will not say more difficult as this is subjective for each person. I can say that the Norte has more pavement and Some steeper walks in place (Deba being one) and the Norte has less pilgrim hostels. I booked ahead into pensions using booking. You are forced to plan a little more for this camino in comparison to the Frances. But it is doable. If I can do it anyone can. Hope you knee is doing well and my advise would be ...Keep your weight light for your Pack and wear excellent shoes! Transport is available with Correos For Mochillas....spanish mail system if you need it. You can minimize the pavement walks by taking some alternatives mentioned here on the forum. Take the time to plan wisely but don't over think it. Have fun. The Norte is amazing with picturesque beautiful coastline, wonderful people and amazing food . Buen Camino

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
I doubt if its any harder than it was in 2004 as far as accommodation goes. Plus there is the little train if you need to skip ahead or bale out.
No need to over think this, it's just a walk in a European country with shops, buses, and trains. Not to mention hotels, campsites, and taxis.

Texasguy

And so...we keep on walking ..
Camino(s) past & future
French Dec in 2013
Por 03- 2015
Ingles 11- 2015
French 12- 2016
Invierno Nov 2018
Kumano 2017

View attachment 78801

Good luck to you, and I hope you make it.
We are planing to start in November. According to American Airlines, they should have service to Madrid by them, so we purchased our tickets.
The idea for us, since it will be winter, is to stay in private albergues and/or pensiones. I think it should be a little safer, since you would not have so many people in that Camino in the winter.
The idea you will have a Covid19 free Camino, it does not seem realistic at this time. Wherever you are in the world, things has changed. Perhaps, all of us, will have to get used to the NEW NORMAL.
I have done the Frances from SJDP to Santiago 4 times since 2013, and the idea to do it again, just does not work for me.
We are definitively planning to walk this year, November or December.

Buen Camino!!

Texasguy

D

Deleted member 91789

When the call came you took it. ”the way”...called your name and you answered and now your life is changed forever...I think anyone who walked the camino can say something similar happened to them.

Don’t look at it as a mistake, Every action in it self is a learning experience..a Mind camino of sorts. Now you have more time to prepare for the next one.

I did the Norte last year. Had some issue due to a recurring injury But I kept going..off camino...making an even more interesting camino. I wear a giant metal brace on my left knee..So i know it is possible. You can do anything you put your mind to so stay positive

The Norte is different than the Frances, I will not say more difficult as this is subjective for each person. I can say that the Norte has more pavement and Some steeper walks in place (Deba being one) and the Norte has less pilgrim hostels. I booked ahead into pensions using booking. You are forced to plan a little more for this camino in comparison to the Frances. But it is doable. If I can do it anyone can. Hope you knee is doing well and my advise would be ...Keep your weight light for your Pack and wear excellent shoes! Transport is available with Correos For Mochillas....spanish mail system if you need it. You can minimize the pavement walks by taking some alternatives mentioned here on the forum. Take the time to plan wisely but don't over think it. Have fun. The Norte is amazing with picturesque beautiful coastline, wonderful people and amazing food . Buen Camino
Awww thanks! I am excited to start tomorrow! I'm definitely going to follow the planning ahead with bookings. It is hard for me not to over think .. but a few days on the camino should change that! I believe in it :D.

Thank you so much for the positivity and support! Inspiring to hear your way :).

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Hi Texasguy
It'll be cold and wet so get some good waterproofs! You may find that only hôtel type accommodation will be open at that season, but at least they will have heating. Short days, too so you may need a backup plan involving some taxi phone numbers and a Spanish sim card.
Have a great time!

Texasguy

Camino(s) past & future
French Dec in 2013
Por 03- 2015
Ingles 11- 2015
French 12- 2016
Invierno Nov 2018
Kumano 2017
Hi Texasguy
It'll be cold and wet so get some good waterproofs! You may find that only hôtel type accommodation will be open at that season, but at least they will have heating. Short days, too so you may need a backup plan involving some taxi phone numbers and a Spanish sim card.
Have a great time!
Thank you Barbara!
All our Caminos have been in the winter. We just prefer the cold and less people. Even when we did the Kumano, we did it in winter.
Although I enjoy and celebrate people very much, there is nothing like walking in the fog in a cool day. The sound of the rain and the smell of a cafe con leche.

Texasguy

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
A man after my own heart. It will be wetter than the Frances, though. Mind you, my grandfather always used to say that there was no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.
Remember the joy of hot chocolate with brandy when you stop for a break, too. It seems that the wetter and colder you look, the larger the dose of brandy in the glass!

Texasguy

Camino(s) past & future
French Dec in 2013
Por 03- 2015
Ingles 11- 2015
French 12- 2016
Invierno Nov 2018
Kumano 2017
Indeed Barbara. You are making me laugh.

it is funny how some memories stay with us, and suddenly the mention of a flavor, a certain smells, brings all those things back.
I am
So looking forward to be back on the Camino.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Awww thanks! I am excited to start tomorrow! I'm definitely going to follow the planning ahead with bookings. It is hard for me not to over think .. but a few days on the camino should change that! I believe in it :D.

Thank you so much for the positivity and support! Inspiring to hear your way :).
How was St Olav’s way—I have been to Norway and Sweden too many times to mention but never walked the pilgrim trails. It’s on my list now that I have had 2 foot surgeries and will be back training again soon.

And @Texasguy how was the Kumamo camino. Lived in Northern Japan 6 years but i did not know about the pilgrimage plus was a little busy with work 😉.

@Barbara how did you find the LePuy and Vezelay. Was in St. Maurice in 2019 in the middle of the route to Rome .this is on my list too. Is is good for a solo female walker?

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Iribabel
Le Puy starts hilly, gets to a high plateau, then becomes more gentle. By the time you get to St Jean there's nothing much Spain can throw at you that you haven't already experienced. I actually turned right at St Jean and walked along the border to the coast before walking the Norte and Primitivo.
It's probably the best of the routes through France for accommodation.
I started from home when I walked the Vezelay route and joined it near la Bénévent l'Abbaye so can't tell you much about the early part. It's a very scenic route and has some of the best food and wine in Europe,
No problem walking solo on either of them, but you won't get a lot of Pilgrim company. It's not lonely though, you will get to meet a lot of local people.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Hi Iribabel
Le Puy starts hilly, gets to a high plateau, then becomes more gentle. By the time you get to St Jean there's nothing much Spain can throw at you that you haven't already experienced. I actually turned right at St Jean and walked along the border to the coast before walking the Norte and Primitivo.
It's probably the best of the routes through France for accommodation.
I started from home when I walked the Vezelay route and joined it near la Bénévent l'Abbaye so can't tell you much about the early part. It's a very scenic route and has some of the best food and wine in Europe,
No problem walking solo on either of them, but you won't get a lot of Pilgrim company. It's not lonely though, you will get to meet a lot of local people.
Thank you so much .
When I was in St Maurice I thought Via Frencegenia or LePuy ...I Had 3 weeks and route was not far but I was in too much pain . I decided to climb a mountain in St Maurice instead.

Now I am hoping my bad knee and I can recover from this plantar faciatis/heel spur after surviving the Norte’s hills and pavement is a good indication that I will survive the LePuy. ..this second surgery to remove the spur has left me hopeful ..After the Norte I thought i may never walk a long route again but 3 weeks post surgery I am feeling ok .
Le Puy Vezelay sounds like It might be exactly the type of walk I would like..more moments with locals and less touristy pilgrim travel. At this moment I am convelescing from my recent foot surgery I am using this time to brush up on my Spain spanish and get some basics in French . I might as well use my down time productively 😊. my best to you and thank you for your response.

Merci Becoup !!

D

Deleted member 91789

Good luck to you, and I hope you make it.
We are planing to start in November. According to American Airlines, they should have service to Madrid by them, so we purchased our tickets.
The idea for us, since it will be winter, is to stay in private albergues and/or pensiones. I think it should be a little safer, since you would not have so many people in that Camino in the winter.
The idea you will have a Covid19 free Camino, it does not seem realistic at this time. Wherever you are in the world, things has changed. Perhaps, all of us, will have to get used to the NEW NORMAL.
I have done the Frances from SJDP to Santiago 4 times since 2013, and the idea to do it again, just does not work for me.
We are definitively planning to walk this year, November or December.

Buen Camino!!

Texasguy
Wow! What adventurers you guys are! And coming from Texas heat to winter weather! Lol.

I met an American on the camino last time I walked. We've stayed in touch ever since. One of my best friends. He was supposed to walk this summer as well and was really disappointed when Americans got excluded. I hope they do open up for you :). Sounds like a solid plan.

I'd definitely love a covid free Camino but I'll take it day by day. If it ends short.. then it ends short!

I hope for the best for you!!

D

Deleted member 91789

I doubt if its any harder than it was in 2004 as far as accommodation goes. Plus there is the little train if you need to skip ahead or bale out.
No need to over think this, it's just a walk in a European country with shops, buses, and trains. Not to mention hotels, campsites, and taxis.
Yes! Thank you Barbara! I do whatever my body signals for me to do and whatever makes the journey more pleasurable than horrible :p. In fact.. I'm waiting at Correos right now to send my pack forward. I heard the walk is really hard today so... making life easier to actually enjoy this challenge :D

Not overthinking is always a challenge but.. one I learn for everyday ! Camino provides :)

D

Deleted member 91789

@Iriebabel I haven't haven't been to Norway yet... I was.supposed to go this summer. I had all my tenting gear ready to go. Then the pandemic happened and norway is one of the few countries who did not open their borders. I don't blame them. So it's still on my to do list. Maybe I'll meet you there one day if you plan to go :p.

I'm inspired by your commitment to getting back out there after all these surgeries! That's amazing :D

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
I made a lot of terrible mistakes.
Don't worry about making mistakes.

I do it all the time. Perfection is soooo boring. Making mistakes (also when walking camino's) has given me some of the most meaningful experiences.

I don't know who originally said it, but the saying goes: "You learn from making mistakes". And I'm just very eager to learn....

Although, you don't have to make them on purpose (as my boss pointed out to me).

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Hi!!

I live in Asturias (the midpoint of the Camino del Norte). I have asked several pilgrims if they are having trouble finding albergues. From what they told me, you won't find any problems from Santander to Santiago. I have no idea what it is like in the first sector (Irun - Santander), the pilgrims I have spoken to started in Santander or in Asturias, too few days from the moment the Camino was opened to meet pilgrims starting in Irun.

Anyhow, they advised me to phone the albergue in advance (the day before or even the same day) to make sure which albergues are open. They told me that about 70/80% were open.

I will get started, hopefully, in 1 week and I still have doubts about taking CN or CF. It will be a last minute decision.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
Wow! What adventurers you guys are! And coming from Texas heat to winter weather! Lol.

I met an American on the camino last time I walked. We've stayed in touch ever since. One of my best friends. He was supposed to walk this summer as well and was really disappointed when Americans got excluded. I hope they do open up for you :). Sounds like a solid plan.

I'd definitely love a covid free Camino but I'll take it day by day. If it ends short.. then it ends short!

I hope for the best for you!!
You have gotten alot of good advice about the Norte and Le Puy Caminos. I have walked both. Although I agree the degree of difficulty is subjective as one Pilgrim pointed out, there are alot more up and downs on the Norte that are generally steeper than the CF. I found it to be more difficult. As the same Pilgrim pointed out there is alot more road walking. This is also true but as he said with some research and some planning you can avoid alot of it. The Camino from Le Puy is also very hilly early on. The first part of it was again harder for me than the CF. Both Caminos are less traveled especially from Le Puy and after the Norte splits with the Primitivo. The Le Puy camino is more expensive but the food is beyond excellent. You definitely get what you pay for. Some of the dinners I had in Gites would make any Pilgrim meal I have ever had in Spain look like a cold Big Mac. It is harder in France too if you do not speak French. Hopefully you do coming from Canada. I don't know any French and it was difficult for me but I obviously survived and will walk it again in the future. If you walk it and choose to continue on the CF, even that tough first day from St. Jean to Roncesvalles will be a piece of cake. They are both so different and both spectacularly beautiful.
One last note if you still have knee issues. Make sure you have poles, zig zag walking down hill, and he biggest personal choice of all is which shoes you choose. I have always walked in trail runners even on a winter camino. There are many posts here that discuss shoes. My wife has had operations on both knees and has had issues for many years. After reading many posts I bought her a pair of Hokas. (I almost bought a pair for myself but Brooks Cascadias have served me well over 5 Caminos) She absolutely loves them. Has not had a hint of a problem and says she feels like she is walking on a cloud. One persons heaven is another's hell so you have to decide for yourself. But she says unlike they radically change their design she is a Hoka woman for life.

Tantalu

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances(2018, 2019), about to walk Camino Norte
Hi! I will be walking the Norte as well beginning of August. I downloaded the app "norte" that supposedly has an updated list of all currently open algerues on the norte. Hope it helps. Keep us posted!

D

Deleted member 91789

Hi!!

I live in Asturias (the midpoint of the Camino del Norte). I have asked several pilgrims if they are having trouble finding albergues. From what they told me, you won't find any problems from Santander to Santiago. I have no idea what it is like in the first sector (Irun - Santander), the pilgrims I have spoken to started in Santander or in Asturias, too few days from the moment the Camino was opened to meet pilgrims starting in Irun.

Anyhow, they advised me to phone the albergue in advance (the day before or even the same day) to make sure which albergues are open. They told me that about 70/80% were open.

I will get started, hopefully, in 1 week and I still have doubts about taking CN or CF. It will be a last minute decision.
I'm really curious about the Santander info. I'd love to go there and try but it's so risky. At the moment I'm pretty much giving up. I have enough money to live comfortably on the camino, but I do not want to spend that money because of skyrocket prices due to covid. Its 150 to 170 a night going forward. No matter what options I take. I'm in san sebastian wasting hours trying to plan this out.. instead of enjoying the beach. It's a mess.

I've never been one of those pilgrims who can call ahead. I dont speak any spanish lol. Most of the times.. people just hang up on me. Actually about, 95 percent of the times. So calling albergues isnt an option for me. That's just more hours wasted trying to figure out if I have a bed. I'm joining the army of people who are calling it quits for this summer. It sucks... because day one was amazing. The walk was gorgeous. And san sebastian as a reward is incredible. Alas... it won't work. I have bookings for 2 more walking days but after that it is near impossible. Oh well. Had to try.

D

Deleted member 91789

Don't worry about making mistakes.

I do it all the time. Perfection is soooo boring. Making mistakes (also when walking camino's) has given me some of the most meaningful experiences.

I don't know who originally said it, but the saying goes: "You learn from making mistakes". And I'm just very eager to learn....

Although, you don't have to make them on purpose (as my boss pointed out to me).
Lolol your boss. That's funny. Thanks for the support. I like learning from my mistakes as well. Coming here during covid is a very expensive lesson I'm learning :p

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
I'm really curious about the Santander info. I'd love to go there and try but it's so risky. At the moment I'm pretty much giving up. I have enough money to live comfortably on the camino, but I do not want to spend that money because of skyrocket prices due to covid. Its 150 to 170 a night going forward. No matter what options I take. I'm in san sebastian wasting hours trying to plan this out.. instead of enjoying the beach. It's a mess.

I've never been one of those pilgrims who can call ahead. I dont speak any spanish lol. Most of the times.. people just hang up on me. Actually about, 95 percent of the times. So calling albergues isnt an option for me. That's just more hours wasted trying to figure out if I have a bed. I'm joining the army of people who are calling it quits for this summer. It sucks... because day one was amazing. The walk was gorgeous. And san sebastian as a reward is incredible. Alas... it won't work. I have bookings for 2 more walking days but after that it is near impossible. Oh well. Had to try.
If you can I hope you don’t give up!!! Are you using Booking.com or some app to plan ahead? Using non pilgrim Hostels. I used booking last year and bookes up to 3 days ahead. What about a tent maybe from Decathalon?...I know there is one in San Sebastián. or Gronze.com to see if other albergues are open. I do not think you need to know much spanish to make a reservation. Really its up to you if you stop or not. I know these are difficult times But the Norte is a beautiful route I hope you continue Buen Camino!!! Good luck

Yes Santander will be a challenge big city with large hotels but maybe you can stop before . there are some small pensions there. Or after....

update : have you see this thread listing open albergues

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-Các] 2017, VDLP[Các-Sal] 2018

I would recommend using WhatsApp to contact albergues and pensions... It seems to be in common use. You could send the message in English and then translate it and also send it in Spanish. You can easily copy any replies into a translator too. It might help with your communication issues? . You could also use it for voice messages though that may be of little use of you don't have Spanish.

D

Deleted member 91789

If you can I hope you don’t give up!!! Are you using Booking.com or some app to plan ahead? Using non pilgrim Hostels. I used booking last year and bookes up to 3 days ahead. What about a tent maybe from Decathalon?...I know there is one in San Sebastián. or Gronze.com to see if other albergues are open. I do not think you need to know much spanish to make a reservation. Really its up to you if you stop or not. I know these are difficult times But the Norte is a beautiful route I hope you continue Buen Camino!!! Good luck

Yes Santander will be a challenge big city with large hotels but maybe you can stop before . there are some small pensions there. Or after....

update : have you see this thread listing open albergues
Yah I'm using booking. I even calculated days .. mapped it all out and tested a few cities on booking that I wouldnt arrive in until a week later. The options were still limited and very expensive. It's insane. Not enough enjoyment. I just wanna walk and enjoy my surroundings and not stress staring at my phone :p.. that's for real life. Anyways... I have 2 more days of walking. Because the next 2 days have bookings. Thanks for the support and help. I really appreciate it!

D

Deleted member 91789

I would recommend using WhatsApp to contact albergues and pensions... It seems to be in common use. You could send the message in English and then translate it and also send it in Spanish. You can easily copy any replies into a translator too. It might help with your communication issues? . You could also use it for voice messages though that may be of little use of you don't have Spanish.
Oh my gooooosh. That is incredibly smart. I dont know why I've never thought of that!!! <3

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Or you could just rock up and ask when it gets to a reasonable time. First camino I did was without a phone, I had a paper guide with no maps, and not a lot of money. That was in. 2001 or thereabouts, tail end of the year.
Never had to sleep outside. Never went hungry.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Yah I'm using booking. I even calculated days .. mapped it all out and tested a few cities on booking that I wouldnt arrive in until a week later. The options were still limited and very expensive. It's insane. Not enough enjoyment. I just wanna walk and enjoy my surroundings and not stress staring at my phone :p.. that's for real life. Anyways... I have 2 more days of walking. Because the next 2 days have bookings. Thanks for the support and help. I really appreciate it!
Good luck. And take one step,one day at a time. Let us know if forum folks can help. 😃

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Or you could just rock up and ask when it gets to a reasonable time. First camino I did was without a phone, I had a paper guide with no maps, and not a lot of money. That was in. 2001 or thereabouts, tail end of the year.
Never had to sleep outside. Never went hungry.
That's fine in a normal year. This is not a normal year.

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
That's true, but there is a lot more accommodation now than there was then, and not that many Pilgrims yet, so I think it's worth a try.

Tantalu

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances(2018, 2019), about to walk Camino Norte
Do you guys know where is the next open albergue after Santanter? Where can one stay on a budget? I've tried to book a few days before that but after Santander I am at a loss. Is sleeping on the beach feasible at all?

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Do you guys know where is the next open albergue after Santanter? Where can one stay on a budget? I've tried to book a few days before that but after Santander I am at a loss. Is sleeping on the beach feasible at all?
Check this thread, hope this helps.

From the thread above:

Buen Camino!

D

Deleted member 91789

I need to say thank you again. I was in give up mode but after this one simple suggestion.. I found two more beds lol. 2 more days of walking yay!! I'm so happy. Everyday I can continue is exciting!

D

Deleted member 91789

You have gotten alot of good advice about the Norte and Le Puy Caminos. I have walked both. Although I agree the degree of difficulty is subjective as one Pilgrim pointed out, there are alot more up and downs on the Norte that are generally steeper than the CF. I found it to be more difficult. As the same Pilgrim pointed out there is alot more road walking. This is also true but as he said with some research and some planning you can avoid alot of it. The Camino from Le Puy is also very hilly early on. The first part of it was again harder for me than the CF. Both Caminos are less traveled especially from Le Puy and after the Norte splits with the Primitivo. The Le Puy camino is more expensive but the food is beyond excellent. You definitely get what you pay for. Some of the dinners I had in Gites would make any Pilgrim meal I have ever had in Spain look like a cold Big Mac. It is harder in France too if you do not speak French. Hopefully you do coming from Canada. I don't know any French and it was difficult for me but I obviously survived and will walk it again in the future. If you walk it and choose to continue on the CF, even that tough first day from St. Jean to Roncesvalles will be a piece of cake. They are both so different and both spectacularly beautiful.
One last note if you still have knee issues. Make sure you have poles, zig zag walking down hill, and he biggest personal choice of all is which shoes you choose. I have always walked in trail runners even on a winter camino. There are many posts here that discuss shoes. My wife has had operations on both knees and has had issues for many years. After reading many posts I bought her a pair of Hokas. (I almost bought a pair for myself but Brooks Cascadias have served me well over 5 Caminos) She absolutely loves them. Has not had a hint of a problem and says she feels like she is walking on a cloud. One persons heaven is another's hell so you have to decide for yourself. But she says unlike they radically change their design she is a Hoka woman for life.
I'm a zig zag queeeeeeen. I zig zag all day lol. Takes longer.. saves my knee. I zig zagged today and someone past me a said something in spanish to me while laughing... maybe he was making fun of me but no matter. Method of choice!

I was going to buy hokas but they weren't going to come in on time. I'm usually a boot person all the way. Last minute I decided hiking shoes instead but too late. Oh well.. next time.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

D

Deleted member 91789

View attachment 78801
I AM GOING ON! originally was giving up after 4 days.. but I have 9 more days planned out!! CAMINO PROVIDES :D

Also thank you to everyone for all the support and advice and ideas. It is truly amazing ! It all helped me to decide to add some more days !

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-Các] 2017, VDLP[Các-Sal] 2018
I need to say thank you again. I was in give up mode but after this one simple suggestion.. I found two more beds lol. 2 more days of walking yay!! I'm so happy. Everyday I can continue is exciting!
Aah super I'm really happy to hear that! I speak Spanish myself but find communicating via whatsapp cheap and you also have a record of the arrangement. Buen camino!

Texasguy

Camino(s) past & future
French Dec in 2013
Por 03- 2015
Ingles 11- 2015
French 12- 2016
Invierno Nov 2018
Kumano 2017
So glad to hear things are going great!!

El Camino always provide. Stay on you r Camino, and try not to listen to all the negative comments. Lots of people will tell you stop, come back, etc. IT IS Your Camino, and there are your steps. If you decide to stop, let it be your decision.

Buen Camino!!

Texasguy

Mandygoingplaces

Camino(s) past & future
CdN Aug (2019) Irun - Bilbao
CdN Aug (2020) Bilbao - Santander
So excited reading this thread! I'm due to fly out to Bilbao on 17th August to pick up where I left off last year. Plan was to walk just beyond Santander in a week and take the flight from Santander home. But until just now I was seriously thinking of aborting until next year. I have invested my Covid savings in a v.lightweight tent and so maybe I can camp in Albergue gardens if I get stuck. Thanks to all your suggestions and following Mrpeanutisclassy, I think I will go for it now!

Kevin PSP7262

Camino(s) past & future
Leaving SJPDP on September 2, 2018 in route to Santiago De Compostela
Hi! I will be walking the Norte as well beginning of August. I downloaded the app "norte" that supposedly has an updated list of all currently open algerues on the norte. Hope it helps. Keep us posted!
Hi thank you very much for your suggestion although I’m having difficulty finding on the “norte” app any more information to assist with that thank you

D

Deleted member 91789

So excited reading this thread! I'm due to fly out to Bilbao on 17th August to pick up where I left off last year. Plan was to walk just beyond Santander in a week and take the flight from Santander home. But until just now I was seriously thinking of aborting until next year. I have invested my Covid savings in a v.lightweight tent and so maybe I can camp in Albergue gardens if I get stuck. Thanks to all your suggestions and following Mrpeanutisclassy, I think I will go for it now!
Yay! I think now that my stress level of all this has calmed down and I'm getting my poop together... that I can start an actual live from the camino. Because those hasn't actually been that. Then I can say where I went every night and the difficulty I faced. Maybe that'll help more. But so far things are coming together!! :D

D

Deleted member 91789

Hi thank you very much for your suggestion although I’m having difficulty finding on the “norte” app any more information to assist with that thank you
I think it is the wise pilgrim app. I also have that app and once it is downloaded... it is titled just "norte" under the app pic. Maybe that is what it is?

Kevin PSP7262

Camino(s) past & future
I think it is the wise pilgrim app. I also have that app and once it is downloaded... it is titled just "norte" under the app pic. Maybe that is what it is?
Ahhh thank you very much, is it blue with a blue shell? If not can you describe what it looks like, and do you like it? From your “American friend’s” cousin 😁

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
The Wise Pilgrim (actually Wisely +) app icon looks like this. (yes, I have a lot of Camino apps!)
20200719_105530.jpg

D

Deleted member 91789

Ahhh thank you very much, is it blue with a blue shell? If not can you describe what it looks like, and do you like it? From your “American friend’s” cousin 😁
Lolol wait what.. like actually ?? Or is that referring to the post I made up there ^^.

I posted a pic of the app below.. it is wise pilgrim cause I bought it directly from the site. It's basic for distances and towns. I read it every morning but I like Stingy Nomads free guide online better, but there is no app for them.. I just have a roaming plan here so I have data always. It's the best I found for not actually wanting to carry a book. But I didn't look very hard :s

20200719_200013.jpg

Kevin PSP7262

Camino(s) past & future
Lolol wait what.. like actually ?? Or is that referring to the post I made up there ^^.

I posted a pic of the app below.. it is wise pilgrim cause I bought it directly from the site. It's basic for distances and towns. I read it every morning but I like Stingy Nomads free guide online better, but there is no app for them.. I just have a roaming plan here so I have data always. It's the best I found for not actually wanting to carry a book. But I didn't look very hard :s

View attachment 79105
Great thank you and yes I’m actually Chris’s cousin! I walked the Camino Frances with him in 2018 and it was he and I planning the Dell Norte in September. Small world huh....lol!

D

Deleted member 91789

Great thank you and yes I’m actually Chris’s cousin! I walked the Camino Frances with him in 2018 and it was he and I planning the Dell Norte in September. Small world huh....lol!
Lol yes. I know. You specifically are the reason I'm here walking this right now. Because you wanted to go on the Norte, then he did. Then he told me about it and I wasn't into it AT ALL when I looked it up. Then when Norway got shut down, I scrambled and stole his plans. And I felt/feel really bad about it lol. So yes.. because of you, I am here and that is definitely... a small small world. Especially since I still have pictures of you on my phone from when he sent me pics of that 2018 trip.

Wockin

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France's 2013

View attachment 78801

Kevin PSP7262

Camino(s) past & future
The Wise Pilgrim (actually Wisely +) app icon looks like this. (yes, I have a lot of Camino apps!)
View attachment 79103
Wow, yes lots of apps! Thank you so much for your help. I am planning on hiking the Del Norte next year, what apps did you recommend and/or like the best for that route?

Kevin PSP7262

Camino(s) past & future
Lol yes. I know. You specifically are the reason I'm here walking this right now. Because you wanted to go on the Norte, then he did. Then he told me about it and I wasn't into it AT ALL when I looked it up. Then when Norway got shut down, I scrambled and stole his plans. And I felt/feel really bad about it lol. So yes.. because of you, I am here and that is definitely... a small small world. Especially since I still have pictures of you on my phone from when he sent me pics of that 2018 trip.
Hmmmm it doesn’t sound like you are feeling bad about being there and we’re not.........ha ha! I am happy, in a small unintentional way, to have inspired your trip 😁. Actually I am glad you are there and doing lots of “groundwork” for us I’m sure you will be giving Chris tons of great information we can use on are Camino. Hopefully everything continues to work out great for you and you have an awesome Camino! Keep posting so I can live vicariously through you this summer, thanks!

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Wow, yes lots of apps! Thank you so much for your help. I am planning on hiking the Del Norte next year, what apps did you recommend and/or like the best for that route?
My favorite was the Buen Camino app, but it has been completely redesigned, and has lots of bugs now. Until all the problems are worked out I recommend the Wise Pilgrim app.

Kevin PSP7262

Camino(s) past & future
My favorite was the Buen Camino app, but it has been completely redesigned, and has lots of bugs now. Until all the problems are worked out I recommend the Wise Pilgrim app.
Great thank you very much!

D

Deleted member 91789

Hmmmm it doesn’t sound like you are feeling bad about being there and we’re not.........ha ha! I am happy, in a small unintentional way, to have inspired your trip 😁. Actually I am glad you are there and doing lots of “groundwork” for us I’m sure you will be giving Chris tons of great information we can use on are Camino. Hopefully everything continues to work out great for you and you have an awesome Camino! Keep posting so I can live vicariously through you this summer, thanks!
Well I'm glad you're glad and not bitter :p. Thanks for the wishes! I shall trrrrrrrrryyyyy. :)

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock