• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte by Horseback

Evilmuffin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances in 2017
Camino del Norte planned for 2019
In April/May 2017, I did the Camino de Frances, SJPdP to Santiago in 34 days and 2 days rest. During this time, there was a Spaniard doing it by horseback (with 2 horses) and we became friends and occasionally I would get to ride one of his horses. It was amazing. So when he asked if I wanted to do the Del Norte by horseback, I jumped on it. We are meeting up in Pamplona on 5 May, and start on the 6th. (I’m flying in on the 4th from Canada) We will be following the Plazaole that goes up to San Sebastian to get on the Del Norte. (4 days planned). Unfortunately we will miss the Irun to San Sebastián stage. In Ribadeo, we will breaking off the trail and going to Muxia then to Finisterre and finally to Santiago. So far we think it will take 50 days. The horses are limited to 25 km a day. Has anyone ever done the whole route by horseback, and if so, do you have any tips?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I haven't done any route by horse but I think if you don't have a support vehicle you need places to feed the horses everyday. Also to stay at night. On the Norte there are quite a few rivers so water won't be a problem.
Some hotel or albergue owners in the rural could also have place for the horses and also food (corn) because they have a farm. Otherwise you would need previously to contact with private farms.

'

You could read a book called “horseshoes and holy water”. About two women who rode from the uk to Santiago. The husband of one drove a horse box and scouted out appropriate places to leave the horses at night. There is a great deal of planning and work involved. Vets and farriers need to be contacted on route as well as buying supplies of food. Good luck. It sounds very romantic, but as a horse owner in the past, I wouldn’t want the responsibility.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anything to do with the horses is being taken care by William, the owner of the horses. The horses will be trailored to Pamplona from Girona, but we will not have a support vehicle once we start. As for food, we will carry 3 days of food. Some days we will be sleeping outside in a tent. No big deal... I am a retired Canadian Forces veteran with 30 years of service and 4 operational deployments (2 in Afghanistan). As for it being romantic? He’s my friend. This is a pilgrimage, not a romantic holiday. He is married, and I have a bf in Canada. I will look for that book....

This sounds like an amazing experience! I will be on the del Norte too...leaving from Irun May 8th. I sure hope I see you all at some point along the way.

As for it being romantic? He’s my friend. This is a pilgrimage, not a romantic holiday. He is married, and I have a bf in Canada. I will look for that book....

I wasn’t meaning that sort of romantic. More the idea of a long ride along the coast. I did actually meet a guy riding along the Norte (and walking/leading a lot), but he had a horsebox and driver. I hope you have a wonderful camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am having severe back problems and may have to have surgery. I had planned to do San Salvador and Primitivo in September but now may not be able to. However, I will do a Camino this fall someway somehow. I had to cancel my planned Caminos in 2017 and 2018 for physical problems. I don't want to do that again. So I am thinking about doing a Camino on horseback preferably Norte, Primitvo or something that is not the Frances. Anyone know the logistics of this? I think it's probably complicated as one has to find a place to stay for the horses as well as ones self. Gracias

I will ride with you, maybe in 2021!
Que bueno. I am hoping to do El Camino in 2021 come hell or high water, but will probably be able to walk it. Now I am thinking about starting in Oviedo to do the second part of the Norte, go on to Ruta do Mar to the Ingles to Santiago and then Finisterre and Muxia. I still want to do the San Salvador and Primitivo. Vamos a ver. Thank you.
I love you cat.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.