• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte guides

Alfred Said

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I’m planning to walk Camino Del Norte in July this year, from Irun to Oviedo, then the Primitivo next year. Which is the best guidebook for Del Norte. Is there a guidebook that I can download to my ipnohe - one less thing to carry!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As far as I know Michael has only published the Northern Guide. I think there is a guide printed by Cicerones for the Primitivo but while I was considering it this year I consulted a few pilgrims who have written anecdotal guides and decided against it.

Last edited:
I am planning to walk the Norte this fall. I have three guides: Cicerone, Village to Village, and Wise Pilgrim.
For a small guide, the Village to Village guide is great; only 96 pages. The Wise Pilgrim guide is also relatively small at 179 pages. Cicerone is the largest 318 pages.

I'm still researching using them and like each for different reasons. The Wise guide is my current favorite, but the binding on the book is poor. After about a week of use, the pages are falling out, but the maps are good . Maps are also good in the Village to Village map guide. Cicerone has the worst maps, but the most information and fairly detailed narrative of the route and turns.

Just to make sure I'm in the right paddock. Please confirm we are talking about the 'Wise Guide to the Northern Camino' written by Michael Matynka Iglesias.
To be honest I've never really relied on Guide Books I've used in the past as once on the route I pretty much go with the flow. Always nice to have a comfort blanket though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As far as I know Michaewl has only published the Northern Guide. I think there is a guide printed by Cicerones for the Primitivo but while I was considering it this year I consulted a few pilgrims who have written anecdotal guides and decided against it.

Not so, the Primitivo guide has just been published - but my general point is that you can never have too many guides to look at when you're doing your research (for the Norte I've used the Cicerone one but also have ones in French, German and Spanish)

Just to make sure I'm in the right paddock. Please confirm we are talking about the 'Wise Guide to the Northern Camino' written by Michael Matynka Iglesias.
To be honest I've never really relied on Guide Books I've used in the past as once on the route I pretty much go with the flow. Always nice to have a comfort blanket though.
That is the right guidebook.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m planning to walk Camino Del Norte in July this year, from Irun to Oviedo, then the Primitivo next year. Which is the best guidebook for Del Norte. Is there a guidebook that I can download to my ipnohe - one less thing to carry!

check out www.gronze.com......I found this Spanish website was the best and google chrome will translate it for you.

Just returned from El Norte Irun to Santiago (deviated to Oveido using Gronce.com map OK then back up to Aviles to finish El Norte). Used WISE PILGRIM guide (both APP live map and book) and with a few exceptions not the author's fault (locals have changed the Norte route), the guide is EXCELLENT for not only maps but towns and accommodation information. Prices of accomodation might be off by 1-2 euros max (Municipals and Xunta albergues are now 6euors not 5). I recommend it 200% BUEN CAMINO

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be walking the Norte then switch to the Primitivo this May/June and I will be carrying the Wise Pilgrim guides. I have purchased and downloaded the Cicerone ebook (and am downloading the updates from their Facebook page), and have the Buen Camino app loaded. I will cross reference all three should I need to. Hopefully I'll be covered!

Just returned from El Norte Irun to Santiago (deviated to Oveido using Gronce.com map OK then back up to Aviles to finish El Norte). Used WISE PILGRIM guide (both APP live map and book) and with a few exceptions not the author's fault (locals have changed the Norte route), the guide is EXCELLENT for not only maps but towns and accommodation information. Prices of accomodation might be off by 1-2 euros max (Municipals and Xunta albergues are now 6euors not 5). I recommend it 200% BUEN CAMINO
What do you mean "locals have changed the Norte route)?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am planning to walk the Norte this fall. I have three guides: Cicerone, Village to Village, and Wise Pilgrim.
For a small guide, the Village to Village guide is great; only 96 pages. The Wise Pilgrim guide is also relatively small at 179 pages. Cicerone is the largest 318 pages.

I'm still researching using them and like each for different reasons. The Wise guide is my current favorite, but the binding on the book is poor. After about a week of use, the pages are falling out, but the maps are good . Maps are also good in the Village to Village map guide. Cicerone has the worst maps, but the most information and fairly detailed narrative of the route and turns.
A possible remedy for the poor binding is to use your pocket knife and tear out the stage you are walking that day (of course it’s your Camino it’s your stage) and put it in your pocket. My blower backpack strap has two pockets. I put those pages and my glasses and pocket knife in those pockets. So it’s rifht there for you when you need it. It works great for me, maybe for you too.

What do you mean "locals have changed the Norte route)?

There were places in Asturias and more Galicia were the Wise Pilgrim map was not consistent with NEW Camino stone markers, the local Camino association has moved the route .....Galicia got their French and Northern Camino routed recognized as UNESCO. The Wise pilgrim guide routes are still valid (I stuck to it) but in places only an odd yellow arrow can be spotted if looked for. PS I took my Wise pilgrim to a faxcopy store and had them make it a spiral binding much bettet

Thats really interesting. When I walked the Norte in 2016 there were loads of signs saying locals wanted the Camino re-routed. I wonder if this is the same thing?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thats really interesting. When I walked the Norte in 2016 there were loads of signs saying locals wanted the Camino re-routed. I wonder if this is the same thing?
Yes I’d say they got their wishes in some places. In a way it made me feel less “connected” to the footsteps of pilgrims of the past vs the Frances where I felt the camino history through my feet.

The Norte is a bit squirrely in places, and I did my best to document as many of the old and new variations... including a few places where it is clear that the route may change at a moments notice. The good news is that the old routes do not become invalid, and there are always some arrows to guide the way. On top of that the albergues are always able to give some added guidance.... though do take all advice with a bit of skepticism as the people who run the albergues cannot help but have a biased opinion.

I did a count of the number of 'not officially the camino' variations in the book and there are 60 of them. They range from short deviations through a town to get to the pharmacies and other services, to going the long way around Santander, to the several places where the route splits into two places for the better part of a full day of walking.

I happened to have met John Brierley in Santiago when I was getting started on the book; his reaction when I told him what I was up to was "please, thank you, and it´s all yours!" I look forward to revisions to it but would dread having to write it all over again.

Thanks everyone for the great support.

Blimey. 60 variations. That's white shocking really. Will you update include old and new then?
How confusing.
I just hope some of the new hasn't diverted the pilgrim from some beautiful paths.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Norte is a bit squirrely in places, and I did my best to document as many of the old and new variations... including a few places where it is clear that the route may change at a moments notice. The good news is that the old routes do not become invalid, and there are always some arrows to guide the way. On top of that the albergues are always able to give some added guidance.... though do take all advice with a bit of skepticism as the people who run the albergues cannot help but have a biased opinion.

I did a count of the number of 'not officially the camino' variations in the book and there are 60 of them. They range from short deviations through a town to get to the pharmacies and other services, to going the long way around Santander, to the several places where the route splits into two places for the better part of a full day of walking.

I happened to have met John Brierley in Santiago when I was getting started on the book; his reaction when I told him what I was up to was "please, thank you, and it´s all yours!" I look forward to revisions to it but would dread having to write it all over again.

Thanks everyone for the great support.

I think the guide is exceptional and would not recommend any other. I still remember a warning you included before Ribadeo near the last GR coastal path fork about not getting tricked by the yellow arrows put up by a private albergue trying to lure pilgrims.....I stuck to the GPS WP map and had a lovely walk that took me to the northern side of the Ribadeo bridge vs everyone else in the albergue having to walk the south side. Thank you very much for such a massive effort

Blimey. 60 variations. That's white shocking really. Will you update include old and new then?
How confusing.
I just hope some of the new hasn't diverted the pilgrim from some beautiful paths.

Don´t let me make it sound overly confusing. When it comes right down to it the Norte is still one foot in front of the other. There are no wrong options, and when there is a major option the pros and cons are well described. To your remark about beautiful paths, I can say that most of the changes in recent years are designed to put you onto them and that many of the variations included in the book are beautiful alternatives to the 'official' camino.

We are planning on walking the northern route from mid May to mid June and are trying to figure out the best way to get to Irun from the USA. Should we get to Madrid and bus or train to Irun? Get to Paris and fly? So many options! Any suggestions? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi, i bought the wise pilgrim for Iphone about $5 it has a list of places to stay and the elevations but other than that is has very little details of what to expect or information to help you thru the stages

I've ordered the Wise Pilgrim Book but will figure when the best date to start. I'm fortunate as only living near London can hopefully get a cheapy flight over to Biarritz short notice, then work out during a potential French train strike how to get to Irun possibly early May. Another member considering doing the Norte for the first was suggesting some Albergues don't open till June!!! Can this be right as there would be little point in starting the beginning of May.

Don´t let me make it sound overly confusing. When it comes right down to it the Norte is still one foot in front of the other. There are no wrong options, and when there is a major option the pros and cons are well described. To your remark about beautiful paths, I can say that most of the changes in recent years are designed to put you onto them and that many of the variations included in the book are beautiful alternatives to the 'official' camino.
Dear author, I am on my way to Irun from California and will arrive in Irun in two days. Where can I buy your guide in Irun?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With regard to my enquiry about getting from Biarritz airport I've just seen an older thread stating there is a bus/coach that goes o Irun. I'll research that to see if the timetable coincides with any potential flight arrivals.

Cheers Spurs, looks like Ryanair flight lands at Biarritz at teatime so get #816 get off Hendaye Gare and find a bed and start the walking the next day.
Not booked yet but May 3rd now a possibility.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
hi, i bought the wise pilgrim for Iphone about $5 it has a list of places to stay and the elevations but other than that is has very little details of what to expect or information to help you thru the stages
Hi, just an update I was not able to open part of the app wise pilgrims Norte that’s why most of the town by town details were hidden ...... I got it fixed and there seems to be a lot of very helpful info

I'm thinking about walking the Norte starting in July this year. I had wanted to go in August/September, but other obligations are changing my time frame. Perhaps I'll see you there. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll start my walk in 6 days! I plan to walk del norte and primitivo. I have purchased Cicerone book and have downloaded Wise Pilgrim app and Eroski app. I hope they'll be sufficient.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.