• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte in 3 weeks

Mkusyk

Time of past OR future Camino
I am thinking of doing the Del Norte camino April 2022. I have about 3 weeks to walk and want to start in Irun. Any suggestions on what what parts to do for certain or which sections to skip? I plan on walking 20-30 kms a day. This will be my 4th camino but first time doing the Del Norte. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For me my must do’s: Bilbao, bufones de pria, zennaruza monastery (but that’s based on the fun I had there which isn’t guaranteed), Markina (but only because of the nearby chapel of St Michael), comillas (because I was on a Gaudi Camino)

you picked a great Camino

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am thinking of doing the Del Norte camino April 2022. I have about 3 weeks to walk and want to start in Irun. Any suggestions on what what parts to do for certain or which sections to skip? I plan on walking 20-30 kms a day. This will be my 4th camino but first time doing the Del Norte. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Del Norte is a great Camino. I opted to veer off this Camino after Santander in Oviedo to undertake the Camino Primitivo . The Primitivo was bit more challenging, but not as crowded as some of the others I've done (5 total). Memorable experience!

If you want to find practical ways to skip a few sections which I have previously used successfully.
If you need, look at flying into or out of Asturias airport (about half way along Norte).
The railway which runs along the north coast provides useful leapfrog opportunities from Oviedo up as far as Ribadeo. There may only be a few trains each day, but it provides multiple options which you don't need to pre-book.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
None to skip - do the whole distance. If no time, split it in two parts and come back next year to complete. My two cents.
I agree completely. Start walking and when you need to get home start to make the arrangements a few days ahead. Wherever you stop that is where you can start again when you return to finish in Santiago. You will spend precious time taking buses/trains/taxis from one place to another and it will break up your natural rhythm that you will develop and love. When you develop this rhythm and pace is when you start to learn how to really walk because you are completely in your body and not in your head or other people's heads. Just walk and experience and feel. There are many wonderful cities and places to discover. Do that as a tourist, now walk as a pilgrim. Just my opinion.

I agree completely. Start walking and when you need to get home start to make the arrangements a few days ahead. Wherever you stop that is where you can start again when you return to finish in Santiago. You will spend precious time taking buses/trains/taxis from one place to another and it will break up your natural rhythm that you will develop and love. When you develop this rhythm and pace is when you start to learn how to really walk because you are completely in your body and not in your head or other people's heads. Just walk and experience and feel. There are many wonderful cities and places to discover. Do that as a tourist, now walk as a pilgrim. Just my opinion.
Hi,
Thank you for your recommendation, after reading the comments of several pilgrims I am leaning to starting at Santander so I don’t have to stop and start up again. Would starting from Santander be doable in 21-22 days?

Hi,
Thank you for your recommendation, after reading the comments of several pilgrims I am leaning to starting at Santander so I don’t have to stop and start up again. Would starting from Santander be doable in 21-22 days?
It's about 550 km from Santander to Santiago, so if you are fine with averaging 25-26 km a day it should be do-able, though I would want a few more days so as not to feel rushed.
Maybe start at Santillana del Mar to save a few kms, since the walk right after Santander isn't the most scenic.
That would leave you 511 km for your 21-22 days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
I love that you have all these questions. It is good to see that you still have pre camino jitters. I still have them a little as I prepare for Camino 6. As trecile said maybe you should start a little closer to Santiago. There are so many X factors that can come into play. Illness, blisters, injury, how often you will need rest. But you know all of that. I would suggest maybe starting in Ribadesella. That distance is about 400k. Gives you less stress and you can take your time a little more. If you get to Santiago even 3 or 4 days early you will not want for things to do. Buen Camino.

If you do start in Santillana del Mar take an extra half day to visit the Museo Altamira. Its just 2km from the town and right next door to the Altamira Caves. It will boggle your mind. Buen Camino

If you do start in Santillana del Mar take an extra half day to visit the Museo Altamira. Its just 2km from the town and right next door to the Altamira Caves. It will boggle your mind. Buen Camino
Thanks!
I checked out the cave online, it’s amazing and I will definitely add that to something to see.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great choice of a Camino, but aggressive with the mileage for such a short time.

I am confronted with a similar amount of time avaialbe to walk and, therefore, similar decisions to make this fall. Provided it's still an option, I am hoping to walk 3 weeks from Irun to Oviedo in September and then pick back up in Oviedo to walk the Primitivo in late May, 2022. For me, it seems best not to skip sections. A few years ago a friend picked me up by car and drove me 20k back to his home in France (along the LePuy) and I'm still thinking I "need" to get back to walk the 20k I skipped! Of course, that's my own issue I need to work through!

From what I have read and heard about the Norte, there is excellent transportation infrastructure so, if you choose to, there are some urban sections you can take a train or bus to/from/through that will help you shave off the equivalent of several days of walking.

Wishing you all the best in your planning and walking. Buen camino!

Or you could walk Irun to Ribadeo, where the camino goes inland. Especially if you picked up Norte to be near the ocean.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Or you could walk Irun to Ribadeo, where the camino goes inland. Especially if you picked up Norte to be near the ocean.
You are quite the pilgrim. That would be over 30K a day for 21 straight days. I walked the Norte and loved it but it was probably about 30 days before I got to Ribadeo including rest days, maybe a few days more. It was a while ago. I don't know Mkusyk's age it may take a wee bit longer ;).
I see you have walked the Norte twice so you know twice as well as me how wonderful this camino is. Even though the first couple of weeks knocked me out. I was 65 at the time and I can't tell you how many times I looked up and said holy s%$#t not another one! Didn't I just walk up this hill. I also think back fondly of all the young people who would be shouting beautiful words of encouragement as they stood at the top of hills yelling things like come on old man we don't want to have to come down and carry you up, or my favorite, come on old man don't make me be the one who has to call your wife and tell her you are lying on the ground halfway up a hill somewhere on the Spanish coast. Such fond memories! :)
Did you ever get Ice Cream at Gelateria Boulevard in San Sebastian? If not it is reason enough to walk the Norte one more time.

You are quite the pilgrim. That would be over 30K a day for 21 straight days. I walked the Norte and loved it but it was probably about 30 days before I got to Ribadeo including rest days, maybe a few days more. It was a while ago. I don't know Mkusyk's age it may take a wee bit longer ;).
I see you have walked the Norte twice so you know twice as well as me how wonderful this camino is. Even though the first couple of weeks knocked me out. I was 65 at the time and I can't tell you how many times I looked up and said holy s%$#t not another one! Didn't I just walk up this hill. I also think back fondly of all the young people who would be shouting beautiful words of encouragement as they stood at the top of hills yelling things like come on old man we don't want to have to come down and carry you up, or my favorite, come on old man don't make me be the one who has to call your wife and tell her you are lying on the ground halfway up a hill somewhere on the Spanish coast. Such fond memories! :)
Did you ever get Ice Cream at Gelateria Boulevard in San Sebastian? If not it is reason enough to walk the Norte one more time.
You are absolutely right about the strenous effort required to walk Irun-Ribadeo in 21 days. I overlooked the time restriction, just wanted to suggest that the last leg, Ribadeo-Santiago is not the most pretty and could be avoided if necessary. I did not get an ice cream in SS, but sometimes I wake up having dreamt all night about the pintxos of Bilbao's Plaza Mayor. I will take your advice, maybe 2023, since 2022 it's already the Portugese camino that beacons.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are absolutely right about the strenous effort required to walk Irun-Ribadeo in 21 days. I overlooked the time restriction, just wanted to suggest that the last leg, Ribadeo-Santiago is not the most pretty and could be avoided if necessary. I did not get an ice cream in SS, but sometimes I wake up having dreamt all night about the pintxos of Bilbao's Plaza Mayor. I will take your advice, maybe 2023, since 2022 it's already the Portugese camino that beacons.
I walked the Portugues Camino from Lisbon in 2017. A little crowded until the split to Fatima because it was the 100th anniversary of the miracle. I did the central (inland)whatever you call it. There is some road walking but there is also alot of beauty. I think in general, the Portuguese people are the friendliest most generous people I have ever met anywhere. I love the country. I can't say enough about this country. There are lots of wonderful towns and cities along the way also.
Next time I walk I am going to start in Faro and then go through Lisbon and take the variant to Fatima from Santarem and then take the path from Fatima to Tomar and get back on the Camino. From Porto (wonderful) I will do the coastal route and then the Spiritual Variant. It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful sections of any camino. Then on to Santiago. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.