• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte in 30 days?

Tinytrekker111

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Thoughts on completing the Camino del Norte in 30 days without dying/rushing/ruining my experience? I am planning on grabbing a taxi from Gijon to Aviles, so that will take off some km/mileage.

Thank you in advance, I am really struggling.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Tinytrekker111

I did the Norte in 32 days, bussing once from Villaviciosa to Gijon. I was physically and emotionally exhausted at the end. I am 65 though and everyone's experience is different.

As many will suggest, only you can decide. I wish you the best!

Buen Camino!

Suzanne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The poor old Gijon-Aviles section regularly gets a good kicking on this forum. And sadly that deters some people from walking it.
OK, it's not the prettiest, but it has its charms, foremost of which is passing through the necropolis of Monte Areo. I just cribbed this off megalithic.co.uk - It is the largest barrow cemetery in the north of Spain. It is said to contain 30 tumuli (built 5000 years' ago) spread around the area called “Los Llanos,” a plateau overlooking the industrial area of Veriña and Tremañes. Some of the tumuli have been plundered by treasure hunters.

Personally I found it fascinating to come across these various mounds, tombs and dolmens.

Tinytrekker - sorry for a little hijacking of your thread, just ignore me!
Except that 30 days is doable if you are a regular fit hiker. Harder in the middle of summer if there's a heatwave tho'

We walked from San Sebastian to Santiago in 30 days- albeit we left the norte and switched to el primitivo (blog can be seen at https://carlosandmick.wordpress.com/). We did not find ourselves rushing/ruining the experience. For us the first few days from Irun or San Sebastian to Bilbao are drop dead gorgeous! Pich the sections you really want to see and take a few bus trips!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked from San Sebastian to Santiago in 30 days- albeit we left the norte and switched to el primitivo (blog can be seen at https://carlosandmick.wordpress.com/). We did not find ourselves rushing/ruining the experience. For us the first few days from Irun or San Sebastian to Bilbao are drop dead gorgeous! Pich the sections you really want to see and take a few bus trips!

Thank you so much for the response. Do you know if the Primitivo is shorter than the 2nd half of the Norte?

What time of year? Spring or fall should be more favorable temps, but if you hate rain spring may be a poor choice. I walked the del norte from Irun to Luarca, then took the train to Oviedo and did the primitivo on to Fistera. Total of just over 1100K. Took me 42 days, but 5 of them were non walking days, 3 for a sprained ankle at Luarca, 2 days to find a pair of 47 shoes! So 37 actual walking days April-May 2018.
San Sebastien to Santiago de Compostela should be doable in 30 days provided you have no serious injuries and you are prepared.
FYI, I turned 68 on the road to Bilbao from San Sebastien.

Thoughts on completing the Camino del Norte in 30 days without dying/rushing/ruining my experience? I am planning on grabbing a taxi from Gijon to Aviles, so that will take off some km/mileage.

I just finished the Norte from Irun to Santiago at the end of November. I completed the Camino in 33 days. Might have been able to do it in 30, but I walked in rain and wind for 31 of the 33 days. Lots of stopping during downpours, and some difficult trails which were more like flowing stream beds. I’m 70, and realized on this trek that I don’t walk as fast as I used to!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you know if the Primitivo is shorter than the 2nd half of the Norte?
Both fairly similar: Primitivo circa 315km, Norte from Oviedo circa 325km, but given the possible variants on both routes there really isn't much in it. The Primitivo has some steepish climbs.

Have you encountered www.gronze.com? In Spanish but easy to follow. All the route, elevation profile, distance and accommodation and services information you might ever need. Google Chrome will provide an instant translation if required.

The poor old Gijon-Aviles section regularly gets a good kicking on this forum. And sadly that deters some people from walking it.
OK, it's not the prettiest, but it has its charms, foremost of which is passing through the necropolis of Monte Areo. I just cribbed this off megalithic.co.uk - It is the largest barrow cemetery in the north of Spain. It is said to contain 30 tumuli (built 5000 years' ago) spread around the area called “Los Llanos,” a plateau overlooking the industrial area of Veriña and Tremañes. Some of the tumuli have been plundered by treasure
We went to the see the place it yesterday. It is also called Monte de San Pablo:
Very interesting, but mainly hillocks. We searched the other relicks nearby, but could not find anything. There are lots of thorn bushes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We walked from Irun to Santiago via Norte then Primitivo in about 30 days. We had long days coupled with rest days in Bilbao, Santander, Oviedo and Lugo but would have been better with shorter days and less rest.

Thirty days shouldn't be a problem. I started September 4th at Irun and finished October 1st. I walked everyday, some days were longer than others but several were quite short, stopping by noon. I always was walking by 7:00.
The Norte is a nice walk much different than the Frances, both nice but different.

Jim Michie

The Norte is a nice walk much different than the Frances, both nice but different.

Love this remark.
Different, but not nicer.

Focusing on OP’s point.
Norte is doable in 30 days, assuming you are in quite a good shape.
Other way you can get used on the fly, and gain time from last stages as you approach Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

My two cents? Why rush? If you have less than ideal time to do the entire route by enjoying each small step, then cover a shorter distance in the time you have. I rushed through my first Camino and regretted it forever. I missed moments. I walked past beauty and poetry without noticing any of it. I allowed no time for reflection or wondering in silence under a shade by the sea. There is never a second chance for a first experience.
You might want to research alternative routes to the many, many miles of roadway. This make take longer but will be much more scenic.

With all due respect.
I’m also for tortoise walking while smelling every flower I come across, rather broad than long, yet learned from other buddies betting for long stretches.
Still camel walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've done the del Norte 3 times and the quickest was 35 days, which also involved skipping from Guernica to Bilbao, and Villaviciosa to Avilés. To do this in 30 days would require an average of 27km/day which would be difficult, especially in the first week, which is very challenging (and beautiful).

I am also of the tortoise school, which stops to admire cats, check out the cafe con leche situation, examine retablos, and chat with the better-looking Guardia Civil along the way. @Miguel Pazos has offered some interesting ideas. If your base is in Europe or nearby islands, then you might want to think of doing it over two years.

At age 64, I did it in 37 days. I lost 27 pounds and I must admit I was a wreck but the time I reached Santiago.

Yes, we found the Norte longer and harder than the Camino Francés. We were very fit by the end.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aged 58, I am starting next month and am planning on 31 days - walking every day. I completed the Francais in 32 days last year and felt I could have gone quicker. It really all depends on your fitness and how well your body holds up. I recommend plenty of training to get yourself in shape before you go. This will also give you an opportunity to find out how your body copes with walking these distances - not to mention stress testing your equipment, especially footwear. I try to start my training in earnest about 10 weeks out, building distances until I am quite comfortable with 20Kms. I do a lot of cycling so probably have a fairly good fitness baseline BUT in my experience its conditioning the feet and joints that really make the difference so there is no substitute for getting the miles in. I also like to start walking early so there is no pressure to rush. A typical day might start at 7am and finish by 2pm or 3pm - that allows for 2 or 3 hours of stops which is sufficient for me to grab the occasional coffee and snack, lunch and have plenty of time to take in the sights. Good luck and Buen Camino whatever you decide!

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem. We did it in 2018 from Biarritz to Finisterre in 35 days so from Irun to SdC in 30. I wouldn't say that this was hard going (although not a stroll!). We had time to see things on the way too. I would walk from Gijon to Aviles: it's not all bad by any means and you get a rounder view of the area: mind you I am an EFI completist. The main this is to keep your pack as light as possible and this shoudl help. We sent all our camping stuff home at Ribadeo saving nearly 5 kilos each and that made life a lot easier. BTW I was 63 so age should not be an excuse!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.