• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning a Fall Del Norte Pilgrimage in 2022

hielienie

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr2017:Frances,Muxia,Finisterre
Apr2023:Del Norte
Hi all! I'm a peregrino from South Africa and completed the Frances in April/May 2017.

I am hoping to return for Del Norte in September after a failed attempt in April 2020. It sounds like a 2022 Camino has a lot of of uncertainties. With it being a Holy Year, the Camino might be very crowded. But then again, we all know that Covid came and changed everything. So Albergues might be closed temporarily or permanently.

I will be using @Dave's spreadsheet for updated accommodation options and will keep my eye on the forum here to see what the summer pilgrims have to say.

Anyone else planning a Fall Del Norte?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Right now my departure is set for April, out of Bilbao. Seems it will go ahead as planned. I will be facing the challenges of Holy Week, starting April 10/11-ish from Santander. I've booked for that week for all locations except on the Good Friday when I will be in a town that has only a parochial that does not take bookings. Hoping that's a pretty safe bet... pilgrims only, no pre-booking... early in the season.

Will report back in May, if not with a "Live from the Camino" thread.

Hi all! I'm a peregrino from South Africa and completed the Frances in April/May 2017.

I am hoping to return for Del Norte in September after a failed attempt in April 2020. It sounds like a 2022 Camino has a lot of of uncertainties. With it being a Holy Year, the Camino might be very crowded. But then again, we all know that Covid came and changed everything. So Albergues might be closed temporarily or permanently.

I will be using @Dave's spreadsheet for updated accommodation options and will keep my eye on the forum here to see what the summer pilgrims have to say.

We completed the CF in September 2021 and we are planning the CN for early September 2022, from Irún, assuming all is well for entry into Spain at that point.

2021 was also a Holy year and I can´t say it was too crowded, so I would not worry to much about too many people, take it as it comes, I know that's going to be our approach.

Unless of course you are @Faye Walker and travelling during Semana Santa when it WILL be busy 😇.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hello,
I was going to do the Camino del Norte in 2020 as well, now I am going in September as well from Irun. Planing to start either last week of August or around September 1st. My plan is to join Camino Primitivo. Good luck on your planning and Buen Camino! ☀️When exactly are you starting?

I will continue the Camino del Norte from Nueva (between Santander and Oviedo) to Fisterre on September 28th.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,
I was going to do the Camino del Norte in 2020 as well, now I am going in September as well from Irun. Planing to start either last week of August or around September 1st. My plan is to join Camino Primitivo. Good luck on your planning and Buen Camino! ☀️When exactly are you starting?
Hoping to start in Irun. But I'm reading that there are very little Albergues open on Del Norte at the moment. My budget doesn't allow for more expensive accommodation so I will have to keep an eye on everyone's experience over the summer before I decide.

Hoping to start in Irun. But I'm reading that there are very little Albergues open on Del Norte at the moment. My budget doesn't allow for more expensive accommodation so I will have to keep an eye on everyone's experience over the summer before I decide.
I'm in the same situation as you requiring affordable accommodation. Did you decide to go on the Norte.

I'm in the same situation as you requiring affordable accommodation. Did you decide to go on the Norte.
Hi Billy - I bought tickets for April next year. I really hope that there will be affordable accommodation options for this pilgrim paying in South African Rands ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi im starting from Irun on the 21st September. Ive booked the first four nights now including having paid in full for a very expensive 85 night in San Sebastian so theres no backing out now.

Finding it hard re accommodation on the Markina to Gernika stage (no hostels in Gernika!??) also the next day Gernika - Bilbao... Hostel in Larrabetzu and Lezama seem to be closed?...

I hate booking ahead like this takes the fun out of especially if i hopefully end up finding a little camino family

Hi Billy - I bought tickets for April next year. I really hope that there will be affordable accommodation options for this pilgrim paying in South African Rands ;)
I'm trying to avoid albergues due to concern of Covid. I just researched the Wise Pilgrim itinerary for Norte and as of today I could book lower priced hotels / pensions for an average of 40 euros per night ($ 60. Canadian). The first 1/3 of Norte was higher priced then the rest but averaged out. I did notice while doing this that there are lots of low cost albergues available. I'm going to be tempted to use the albergue despite the Covid. I wish you a Buen Camino

I'm still on the fence. My research indicates I would average 40 euros per night for low cost rooms versus a dormitory. I used the Wise itinerary and looked up available rooms. I can afford this but its kind of steep and I'd miss the albergues. Previous 5 Caminos I had a hiking buddy from Australia that made twin rooms much more affordable than on my own, but he recently died. So now on my own. I'll decide tomorrow and get my flight or not. Looking at arriving Sept 14th start at Irun 15th. What's your plan, maybe we'll meet up.
Hi im starting from Irun on the 21st September. Ive booked the first four nights now including having paid in full for a very expensive 85 night in San Sebastian so theres no backing out now.

Finding it hard re accommodation on the Markina to Gernika stage (no hostels in Gernika!??) also the next day Gernika - Bilbao... Hostel in Larrabetzu and Lezama seem to be closed?...

I hate booking ahead like this takes the fun out of especially if i hopefully end up finding a little camino family

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm still on the fence. My research indicates I would average 40 euros per night for low cost rooms versus a dormitory. I used the Wise itinerary and looked up available rooms. I can afford this but its kind of steep and I'd miss the albergues. Previous 5 Caminos I had a hiking buddy from Australia that made twin rooms much more affordable than on my own, but he recently died. So now on my own. I'll decide tomorrow and get my flight or not. Looking at arriving Sept 14th start at Irun 15th. What's your plan, maybe we'll meet up.
Wandalina, I asked you your plan and I see you already shared it. I'm not used to making a reply. When I was researching accomodations I noticed that I may have to divert from the itinerary for those hard to find bed locations. I don't have any answers but feel confident some alterations would make it doable. Also I'm not a purist, I'll take transportation and skip a town if need be.
Billy

Sorry to hear that billy my sympathy on the loss of your walking friend

Greetings Hombre, that is not great news about the Accommodations early on the Norte, I had also heard this but that was several months ago! So little change. I am taking a tiny one man tent to fall back on if there is ( no room at the inn) as I dont like my walking patterns to be dictated by worry , I stop and start over a 12 hour day and cover about 16 miles in my own breath! I have so much about what not to do but ONE POUND TENT won't affect my walk but will give me peace of mind,....good luck friend. Mark

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings Hombre, that is not great news about the Accommodations early on the Norte, I had also heard this but that was several months ago! So little change. I am taking a tiny one man tent to fall back on if there is ( no room at the inn) as I dont like my walking patterns to be dictated by worry , I stop and start over a 12 hour day and cover about 16 miles in my own breath! I have so much about what not to do but ONE POUND TENT won't affect my walk but will give me peace of mind,....good luck friend. Mark
Thanks Mark. I've put off my walk and will evaluate the situation in the spring. I'm very disappointed with my decision. Best regards.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.