Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte & Primitivo Early May 2017

nicoX

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Hey all!

I walked the whole French Way last year in three and a half weeks. It was an experience.

This year I'm looking for a more lonesome and close to the nature experience, luckily I got a friend with me, or it would otherwise be to lonesome for me and maybe little risk.

We are walking del Norte/Primitivo.

Anyone else interested let us know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Nico , I walked the French route in 2015 and one time doing this route is enough for me.
This time I will walk the same route as you starting 22 of April in Irun.

Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Hi, NicoX,
Welcome to the forum, and I wish you a really wonderful second Camino. I have to say that you may not find that the route you have chosen is "more lonesome." The crowds on both the Primitivo and Norte are increasing rapidly. Of course, the total numbers are not anywhere near the numbers on the Francés, but in high season you may find something slightly resembling a low level bed race on certain stages of the Primitivo and Norte. If things are looking too crowded when you start out on the Norte, you have two ways to detour off onto two beautiful alternatives -- from San Vicente de la Barquera, you can go on the Lebañiego, then onto the Vadiniense, and into León. OR, from Bilbao, you can take the Camino Olvidado into Ponferrada (and from there go on to the Invierno, which is beautiful and definitely "more lonesome"). I have walked these routes, and met very very few others, but the walks themselves are perfect. Well marked, terrific scenery, some beautiful mountain sections... Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@peregrina2000, I didn't know about the routes you have taken. Looking at this map I assumed Primitivo was one way. We will turn in Villaviciosa> Oviedo> Lugo.

MAP-CAMINOPRIMITIVO.jpg

Hi, NicoX,
Welcome to the forum, and I wish you a really wonderful second Camino. I have to say that you may not find that the route you have chosen is "more lonesome." The crowds on both the Primitivo and Norte are increasing rapidly. Of course, the total numbers are not anywhere near the numbers on the Francés, but in high season you may find something slightly resembling a low level bed race on certain stages of the Primitivo and Norte. If things are looking too crowded when you start out on the Norte, you have two ways to detour off onto two beautiful alternatives -- from San Vicente de la Barquera, you can go on the Lebañiego, then onto the Vadiniense, and into León. OR, from Bilbao, you can take the Camino Olvidado into Ponferrada (and from there go on to the Invierno, which is beautiful and definitely "more lonesome"). I have walked these routes, and met very very few others, but the walks themselves are perfect. Well marked, terrific scenery, some beautiful mountain sections... Buen camino, Laurie
Wow, Laurie, several Camino routes I've not heard of and they sound great. I'm going to research them and store the info away in the "pipe dream" part of my brain for future reference...Well, on 2nd thought, I'll have to write it down! :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't decided where to start from, Irun or San Sebastian? I wish to follow the official line of the walk, as I tend to walk the whole thing Norte/Primitivo. Should I then start from Irun?

Are there any good albergues that are not overpriced in Irun?

We have always started in Santander as that is where the ferry arrives. One day maybe we will head east and walk parts of the way from Bilbao to Santander. However I suggest that you start where you feel is right and not be influenced unduly by the idea of the 'whole thing'. The Gronze website gives prices for accommodation so might be your best help re cost of albergues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We will also venture onto the Norte/Primitivo this summer with a June 23rd start. Our plan is to get to Irun via the Pyrenees from SJPDP along the GR10

will be starting the Norte on Sept 06-07 ( nextvweek ) , wondering if it will be busy don't much care for the " bed race " idea. I did the Primitivo in Sept last year ( 2016 ) and found it to be very quiet. there were only about 15 other pilgrams that came in and out of our travels

We will also venture onto the Norte/Primitivo this summer with a June 23rd start. Our plan is to get to Irun via the Pyrenees from SJPDP along the GR10
I am planning my 2nd Camino. I want to walk the Camino del Norte. I would love to walk the Pyrenees again. I fell in love with SJPDP. Where could I go to map that out. I am bringing my teenage son this time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning my 2nd Camino. I want to walk the Camino del Norte. I would love to walk the Pyrenees again. I fell in love with SJPDP. Where could I go to map that out. I am bringing my teenage son this time.
Put GR10 walking route into your search engine (I used Duck Duck Go) and it will come up with all you need, including links to online guides and also the Cicerone guide.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back