• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Del Norte, Primitivo, Portuguese or Francesco

GypsySoul

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to walk our next Camino in August 2018, after having previously walked Francés in 2016 and 2011.

We’d like to explore a different route and we are both fit and open to something a little more challenging the Francés.

Our favourite things about the Camino are: community - meeting both locals and travellers, nature, spiritual connection and adventure.

I’ve read bits and pieces about the Camino routes I’ve listed above and I’m looking for recommendations on the one that will suit us best.

I loved walking through small towns and countryside and would much prefer that over any highway/beside the road walking.
I’m open to a quieter Camino but would really love to meet some other pilgrims along the way.

The route I’m most interested in right now is via di Francesco in Italy, or Franscengena but there’s not as much information available.

Love to hear any and all thoughts from fellow Camino friends

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you looked at the official Via Francigena website which covers the Italian section of the route? (which is about 50% of the total length from Canterbury to Rome). A lot of accommodation lists, maps and other practical information. There is also an active Facebook group for those interested in the route. Both great sources of information.

http://www.viefrancigene.org/en/

https://m.facebook.com/groups/19899007360?ref=bookmarks

The Via Francigena has far fewer walkers than the Camino Frances but is growing in popularity every year. The infrastructure of albergues, bars and so on is less developed and you may have to walk longer stages. Unless you are walking very early or late in the year you can expect to meet plenty of other pilgrims along the way. If you want to cross the Alps via the Grand Saint Bernard pass then you need to time your walk for its short open season - June to September or early October - otherwise it will be closed by snow. Walking up from the Swiss side then down to Aosta is a memorable experience!

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to walk our next Camino in August 2018, after having previously walked Francés in 2016 and 2011.

We’d like to explore a different route and we are both fit and open to something a little more challenging the Francés.

Our favourite things about the Camino are: community - meeting both locals and travellers, nature, spiritual connection and adventure.

I’ve read bits and pieces about the Camino routes I’ve listed above and I’m looking for recommendations on the one that will suit us best.

I loved walking through small towns and countryside and would much prefer that over any highway/beside the road walking.
I’m open to a quieter Camino but would really love to meet some other pilgrims along the way.

The route I’m most interested in right now is via di Francesco in Italy, or Franscengena but there’s not as much information available.

My wife and I plan on starting at SJPP at the end of August, walking to Leon, bus to Oviedo, then walk on to Santiago

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might look at the Via Podiensis aka Chemin du Puy,
Or to make it really easy Le Puy Camino that starts in Le Puy,
France. It is really beautiful. There are lots of variety in scenery and terrain. There will be days you will be alone almost if not the whole day. I personally like that very much. You will sleep in some really cool Gites. You will many times have fantastic meals at the Gites. They are more expensive than Albergues but the few extra euros is worth it. Many times the Gites are the only option. There are very few English speaking Pilgrims and a lot of them are retired people. I speak about 10 French words and I still made lasting memories and good friends with the people I met at night. People do walk together in small groups, but in my experience they were groups of friends from life and not the Camino. I did not encounter one “Camino family or group”. Which was fine with me. And I am not a big believer in Camino families, but that is just my own preference. Anyway check it out. There are some Facebook Camino groups that have great photos of the beauty of this Camino. There are also lots of great people here who can help you and planning and answer any questions
That’s my suggestion. (I will be walking Norte in September for the first Time so if you choose that one love to see your experience here on our forum. You will probably be three weeks ahead of me. So let us know about wonderful Albergues or Donativos especially those with good and fun Pilgrim dinners. What can be better than a bunch of pilgrims from 8 or 10 countries preparing and sharing a dinner together!
Buen Camino

Last edited:
I'm heading out on May 30th to walk the Le Puy to Moissac with two Camino friends. Your words make me wish I was leaving tomorrow! Thanks for sharing such positive encouragement!

Hi all,

Hi, GypsySoul!

I like your moniker a lot. I find my father is kind of a gypsy soul ;)

I can't really help you with Norte, Primitivo or Portugues because I haven't walk them yet but I'm always opened to new routes and would like to know what/where this Francesco route you are mentioned in the title of your post is?

Thank you and Buen Camino/Bom Caminho whichever you decide!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back