• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

del Norte/Primitivo this fall?

Camino Yogini

Camino Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (Spring 2012); Norte Costa (Fall 2013); Del Ebro/Francés (Fall 2014); European Peace Walk (Spring 2016)
Hola, peregrinos!
I need some advice. I have been agonizing over this for months and no more dickering. I will be starting my second Camino this fall but which route? I hope to arrive at my starting point from London UK around Sept 25 and need to be back in London on Nov 11 to fly back to Canada. I want to walk del Norte starting at Irun (possibly joining up with Primitivo) but am concerned about the isolation and distances I'll have to walk that time of year.

Being an introvert, walking with just my own company a lot of the time is ok but I also really enjoy (need?) being around people too. I would be really lonely if there weren't any other souls around, especially in the albergues. At that time of year, I expect many albergues to be closed. How far will I have to walk to get to an albergue? Or will I have to depend on casa rurales and other accommodations? That could be expensive beyond an occasional outlay.

I hesitate to mention this because it could sideline this whole thread but one of my peregrino angels walked another route (which will remain unnamed) in March and he did not enjoy it because he found the company uncongenial and because only a few albergues were open, he would meet them night after night. An unfortunate situation. I am expecting the company will be lovely, of course, but at that time of year, would I be seeing the same folks all the time?

Last spring, I walked from St Jean to Santiago. For the first week or so, I averaged 15 km/day because my feet were badly blistered. Towards the end, I averaged 25 km/day with a few 30-40 km/day thrown in. Right now, I'm easily doing about 25 km/day on weekends, but mainly on level ground.

The alternative to Norte/Primitivo is to walk the Aragones starting at Somport, then join the Frances, and familiar territory again.

So if you've walked Norte in the fall, please share what that was like. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola, camino yogini,

I can answer one tiny piece of your question, but it's a start. I have walked the Norte, but it was in May so that won't help you. I have walked the Primitivo, once in October and once in June, and in terms of services and crowds, I didnt detect much of a difference. Everything was open in October, and the numbers were quite respectable. Albergues all the way on the Primitivo, no need for casas rurales or hoteles unless you want to splurge. It did get a bit chilly in October, and once there was snow on the mountains (at higher elevations, outside Tineo), but it was all very beautiful. Asturias seems to be green even in Otober!

What a lovely dilemma to have, I'm sure the right answer will present itself.

Buen camino, Laurie

If you get stuck in that thing of always the same people in the albergues take the bold move of 2 days off in a row. They are soon gone! Also EVERYTHING will be changed. there are many towns to stop in that will hold the interest or a town you passed that is only a short rail ride away to catch that museum you missed or exhibition to see. Enjoy whatever you decide to do hotfleece,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well said hotfleece! Even if you take only ONE day off, you'll end up with a new "camino family". For me - a solitary walker - those occasional meet-ups with fellow peregrinos are an important part of my camino - and essential to my enjoyment. I never walk in a group, but it's lovely when your paths cross again..... and my walking distances are way below yours, Yogini. You're doing really well, and I'm sure will enjoy every step of your path.
Make sure you let us know, when you finally arrive home!

I am also doing the Camino this September, we are starting in Irun on the 21st but I walk slowly and will be doing 20ish km a day. Hope to see you along the Way. Kathy

Hola, peregrinos!
Thank you for all your advice. Just to let you know, I am currently in the Stansted airport, to fly to Biarritz where I will make my way to Irún to walk del Norte, and then join up with Primitivo. I want no expectations and a clean slate, much like on the Francés last year. After I decided, while in an outdoor outfitters shop, I learned the salesclerk was not only from northern Spain, but from Llanes, along the Camino route, and not only from Llanes, but the path went behind the back of her family's house! She would see pilgrims walking along from her bedroom! She reassured me there will be plenty of peregrinos walking in October and while I should expect some rain, the weather will be lovely. So, that's a relief. I also loved the suggestion here to stay another day should I wish to meet other peregrinos.

But whatever, my adventure is about to begin! Thank you for all your help!

Helen

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I started in Irun on 21 September, walked for three weeks, and left from Gijon on November 12. We walked slow, 15 to 20 km somedays, someday Less, I thoroughly enjoyed the trip!!! We had amazing weather 25 to 30°C the first two weeks. And around 18 to 20°C the third week. We did run into bedbugs and I had allergic reaction and ended up going to the hospital for allergy shots. But I don't think the allergic reaction was just because of the bedbugs I had also been getting bit by mosquitoes and had some form of poison ivy or stinging nettles on my legs from walking through the woods with shorts on. I think the bedbugs just pushed me over the top allergy wise. 15 minutes in the hospital in Castro Urdales and by the next day all the bumps were receding. We had jumped ahead about 70 km from Gernika to Bilbao, so all the people that were ahead of us were now behind us and passed us again. Shockingly they had all heard about the bedbugs and all asked how I was doing as soon as they saw me. We spent an afternoon in Bilbao exterminating and cleaning our backpacks and everything in them, putting everything into plastic bags and washing every item of clothing that was with us. Hot wash hot dry for absolutely everything, if it couldn't't be washed it went in the garbage. As we continue to walk we found essential oils and sprayed the beds and check for bedbugs in every place we stayed. We only found bedbugs once, but we did run into hostels that were contaminated and had been shut down for fumigation. This was a piece about the lovely weather and it turned into a story about my bedbugs. Sorry. Great time of years to go lots of people walking, the first hostel in Irun had 20 people the night we left.

Hola, peregrinos!
I need some advice. I have been agonizing over this for months and no more dickering. I will be starting my second Camino this fall but which route? I hope to arrive at my starting point from London UK around Sept 25 and need to be back in London on Nov 11 to fly back to Canada. I want to walk del Norte starting at Irun (possibly joining up with Primitivo) but am concerned about the isolation and distances I'll have to walk that time of year.

Being an introvert, walking with just my own company a lot of the time is ok but I also really enjoy (need?) being around people too. I would be really lonely if there weren't any other souls around, especially in the albergues. At that time of year, I expect many albergues to be closed. How far will I have to walk to get to an albergue? Or will I have to depend on casa rurales and other accommodations? That could be expensive beyond an occasional outlay.

I hesitate to mention this because it could sideline this whole thread but one of my peregrino angels walked another route (which will remain unnamed) in March and he did not enjoy it because he found the company uncongenial and because only a few albergues were open, he would meet them night after night. An unfortunate situation. I am expecting the company will be lovely, of course, but at that time of year, would I be seeing the same folks all the time?

Last spring, I walked from St Jean to Santiago. For the first week or so, I averaged 15 km/day because my feet were badly blistered. Towards the end, I averaged 25 km/day with a few 30-40 km/day thrown in. Right now, I'm easily doing about 25 km/day on weekends, but mainly on level ground.

The alternative to Norte/Primitivo is to walk the Aragones starting at Somport, then join the Frances, and familiar territory again.

So if you've walked Norte in the fall, please share what that was like. Thank you!
Hi my husband and I are also planning on walking Norte/Primitivo starting mid September 2014.

Hola, camino yogini,

I can answer one tiny piece of your question, but it's a start. I have walked the Norte, but it was in May so that won't help you. I have walked the Primitivo, once in October and once in June, and in terms of services and crowds, I didnt detect much of a difference. Everything was open in October, and the numbers were quite respectable. Albergues all the way on the Primitivo, no need for casas rurales or hoteles unless you want to splurge. It did get a bit chilly in October, and once there was snow on the mountains (at higher elevations, outside Tineo), but it was all very beautiful. Asturias seems to be green even in Otober!

What a lovely dilemma to have, I'm sure the right answer will present itself.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks for that. I am considering the Primativo in October as well. I don't mind the cooler weather but blinding blizzards can present issues. That is probably less the rule than an occasional early snowfall.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.