• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Delayed pleasures

J.Patrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
I had planned, back in late 2019, to walk from Lucca to Rome on the Francigena in May of 2020. I had already walked two caminos, a two week venture from Porto back in 2015 with a friend, and then a six week journey on the Norte from Hendaye, France, by myself but never alone. Needless to say Covid interfered in a big way.

Just this last week I paid for a plane flight to Pisa intending to start this next October, again from Lucca, with a friend. I'm so very excited! I've so wanted to be back on the pilgrim road.

The thought occurred to me, that the year-by-year denial of this trip has made the looking forward and preparing these next months all the more sweet. Just needed to say it.

Now...off for a long walk!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had a Facebook chat this afternoon with a friend who lives in Santiago. He was commenting on the large number of pilgrims arriving in town this week. He suggested there might be a three-fold "Covid effect" boosting numbers this year: a combination of (a) those who had to cancel, (b) those who wanted to come during lockdown , but couldn’t. And (c) those who Covid has made focus on their “life is too short” bucket lists. In the past numbers have tended to drop significantly in the year following a Holy Year but early signs seem to suggest that will not be the case this year! Buen Camino!

I had planned, back in late 2019, to walk from Lucca to Rome on the Francigena in May of 2020. I had already walked two caminos, a two week venture from Porto back in 2015 with a friend, and then a six week journey on the Norte from Hendaye, France, by myself but never alone. Needless to say Covid interfered in a big way.

Just this last week I paid for a plane flight to Pisa intending to start this next October, again from Lucca, with a friend. I'm so very excited! I've so wanted to be back on the pilgrim road.

The thought occurred to me, that the year-by-year denial of this trip has made the looking forward and preparing these next months all the more sweet. Just needed to say it.

Now...off for a long walk!
Buen Camino Patrick! My wife and I walked from Grand Saint Bernard's Pass to Rome in 2019, so we have a sense of what lies ahead of you. Like you, our Camino plans have been on hold for a while but we step off from Irun (for Gijon, then Ovedio to SdC) on 28 April.

Btw: I'm not sure of whether the Puccini concerts (held in a small church in Lucca) will be on when you arrive - if they are, you might consider attending - my wife and I aren't opera buffs but we have attended two such performances and they were magical.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not sure of whether the Puccini concerts (held in a small church in Lucca) will be on when you arrive - if they are, you might consider attending
Thanks for the tip, though it looks like the concerts are in April. Shucks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back