• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Delicate Topic

Jacobus

Pilgrim since 2008
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés(2008,09 14)
Del Norte (2011)
Portuguese(2015,2017)
Inglés 2015
Fisterre (2015 17)
Good Morning,
I leave for Porto in 36 hours and have a delicate question. Im afraid in this case that I will need fact based answers and with respect I request that those answering please do not offer opinions as they will not be helpful.
In Dec. my brother passed away. In keeping with his wishes he was cremated and his cremains divided amongst family members.
He was physically unable to do the Camino but over time was my biggest supporter and would sit for hours with me going over photos and listening to my Camino stories.
I would like to take my portion of the cremains on the Portuguese not to leave there but simply to have him with me. It would mean a lot to me. Ihesitate to go through security undeclared as I live 2 hrs from my departing airport and if I am rejected I have no one to leave the cremains with. If I declare the remains I may not have time to address the requiements either in Canada for departure or in Portugal for arrival.
I know this is a weird topic but if you have flown from Montreal to Porto under these circumstances or you are aware of Portuguese travel regs can you please offer your experience? Can I just put the remains securely in my checked in baggage?
Thank you
Jim

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Jacobus,

One of my friends did this same thing a couple of years ago. He flew from the UK to Spain. The remains were carried in his hold baggage.

He spoke with the airline he used beforehand. The airline advised there would not be a problem but that the remains should be a container that would allow the contents to be X rayed, and that a copy of the cremation/death certificate should be carried by him if asked for.

He made the trip without incident and as things turned out, was not asked for the certificate. I don't know if his experience was typical.

Buen Camino

Hello Jacobus,

One of my friends did this same thing a couple of years ago. He flew from the UK to Spain. The remains were carried in his hold baggage.

He spoke with the airline he used beforehand. The airline advised there would not be a problem but that the remains should be a container that would allow the contents to be X rayed, and that a copy of the cremation/death certificate should be carried by him if asked for.

He made the trip without incident and as things turned out, was not asked for the certificate. I don't know if his experience was typical.

Buen Camino
Thanks for this. I have the paperwork but lack the confidence. Your reply helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jim, perhaps for this trip you could take just a portion of your brother's remains with you in a small container. I know some crematoriums sell products like this that can be worn around the neck but with your time constraint you may need to get a pill container. Have a box prepared to mail this back home if need be. If this does not work out you will have the time to work with authorities before your next camino to bring the bulk of your brother's remains with you.

I brought my sister's ashes with me to leave at Cruz de Ferro, and never had any issues. They were in a see thru glass container in the top zip pocket of my pack, wrapped cushioned with a pashmina scarf, and went right thru security both in Boston, Reykjavik, and Paris. I carried on my backpack to all flights and had no checked luggage. No one questioned me.
If you are nervous I agree with Rick above, take an addressed box and mail the ashes back home if for some reason they are prohibited.
Bom Camino dear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried the remains of my very dear friend from Phnom Penh back to the USA in December. I carried a death certificate, and large urn.

When I was asked what was in the large package, I presented the certificate. Great deal of respect and empathy.

Best of luck and all my support.

Thank you all for your input. I have a preaddressed box to send back home if necessary. The portion of remains will be in a plastic see thru container so the x-rays will go thru. I have the death cert. and the cremation certificate.
You have all been quite helpful. I leave in 8 hours for Montreal where I will board. Thanks again for your input. I will keep you posted as to the boarding process.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My mother died in the Philippines and we had her cremated there. When I went to the Canadian embassy they said the remains had to be hermetically sealed for me to bring them home to Canada. That just meant that the box had to be taped shut. I carried a large wooden box with her remains onto the plane in my carry on luggage and no one asked me about them.

While it looks like this would not be required, there is a coat check service at Dorval, and it appears that you can check other items. I am not entirely familiar with their limitations but you could call and ask if you could check your brother's remains in a worst case scenario.

And as everyone mentioned above, bring your paperwork, and have an electronic copy scanned and available to you through dropbox or another method.

http://www.admtl.com/sites/default/files/OPSIS CONSIGNE TARIF 2015 BILINGUE.pdf

While it looks like this would not be required, there is a coat check service at Dorval, and it appears that you can check other items. I am not entirely familiar with their limitations but you could call and ask if you could check your brother's remains in a worst case scenario.

And as everyone mentioned above, bring your paperwork, and have an electronic copy scanned and available to you through dropbox or another method.

http://www.admtl.com/sites/default/files/OPSIS CONSIGNE TARIF 2015 BILINGUE.pdf
Thank you. That will work as a plan B should my postal service plan fall through.
The documents have been photograped and are in a file on my phone and my daughters phone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have transported the cremains of my partner after she passed in a ziplock bag ( her request long story) with the death certificate. I only took some as she was placed in several places around the world. I carried them with me would not pack them in luggage to be stowed. we traveled over the US border to Montreal to France. You should be fine with documentation have no troubles. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope your journey brings you some peace!
Micah

Good Morning,
I leave for Porto in 36 hours and have a delicate question. Im afraid in this case that I will need fact based answers and with respect I request that those answering please do not offer opinions as they will not be helpful.
In Dec. my brother passed away. In keeping with his wishes he was cremated and his cremains divided amongst family members.
He was physically unable to do the Camino but over time was my biggest supporter and would sit for hours with me going over photos and listening to my Camino stories.
I would like to take my portion of the cremains on the Portuguese not to leave there but simply to have him with me. It would mean a lot to me. Ihesitate to go through security undeclared as I live 2 hrs from my departing airport and if I am rejected I have no one to leave the cremains with. If I declare the remains I may not have time to address the requiements either in Canada for departure or in Portugal for arrival.
I know this is a weird topic but if you have flown from Montreal to Porto under these circumstances or you are aware of Portuguese travel regs can you please offer your experience? Can I just put the remains securely in my checked in baggage?
Thank you
Jim
One of my Camino friends did this without any problems. Suffice to say it was a very private part of their camino and not shared with others. Do it as it seems right for you and your brother.
Buen Camino

Good Morning,
Thank you
Jim
My friend kept her monthers remains with us for 2 wks. They were checked and carry on. Hope this helps. Orford girl

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have the remains of a very close friend and over the years I have taken them with me around the world and spread a small sprinkle wherever I be gone and as yet I've never had a problem with airport security. I've never had documents and I've always carried the portions in a simple ziplock baggie.

Thank you for this post and the advice. I just recently lost my dear father-in-law. He was heavily involved in the Catholic church and has been an inspiration to me. It would be nice to have him with me on this trip. It may change the purpose of my Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back