• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Delta Airlines just cancelled my trip!

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
That is so interesting! i was just posting here on another thread about covid (today )cancellation risks etc.... Delta just emailed me right now changing my flight for september. I can’t do the date they proposed by email and all with these risks and constant chances i want my money back.
i booked through air France because it looked they would refund my money but even though i booked through air France and my credit card paid and shows their name, the flight Nyc to Lisbon ended up with Delta. i am now contacted by Delta to reschedule and i would like to get my money back and not a voucher to use later. What is your experience and what is best for me to do now to get my money back? Btw i paid an allianz insurance for this Trip if that helps with your advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1F6AFEC7-256D-472A-9BCF-7F396DADA062.jpeg
    1F6AFEC7-256D-472A-9BCF-7F396DADA062.jpeg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is a complicated question.
It depends a lot on who you booked with, the airline direct, an agent, an aggregator.
Whoever you made the booking with...........call them.

That is so interesting! i was just posting here on another thread about covid (today )cancellation risks etc.... Delta just emailed me right now changing my flight for september. I can’t do the date they proposed by email and all with these risks and constant chances i want my money back.
i booked through air France because it looked they would refund my money but even though i booked through air France and my credit card paid and shows their name, the flight Nyc to Lisbon ended up with Delta. i am now contacted by Delta to reschedule and i would like to get my money back and not a voucher to use later. What is your experience and what is best for me to do now to get my money back? Btw i paid an allianz insurance for this Trip if that helps with your advice. Thank you.
Interesting
September long time away

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a complicated question.
It depends a lot on who you booked with, the airline direct, an agent, an aggregator.
Whoever you made the booking with...........call them.
I just booked online

Interesting
September long time away
I would not read much into this change of the date of a Delta transatlantic flight from the USA to Portugal for September 2021. Airlines need to bring inactive staff and machines back into service, and this change may have more to do with organisational issues than with epidemiological developments, i.e. with rapidly increasing demand for flights.

For example: June 19, 2021 - American Airlines Is Cancelling Scores Of Flights Due To Lack Of Pilots - https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-is-cancelling-scores-of-flights-due-to-lack-of-pilots/

Last edited:
When covid first hit, I had several flights that were eventually cancelled as I had booked for 4 persons, one of them at different times. It took me weeks dealing with all the rigamarole, along with hours holding on the phone at times to speak to someone. I refused the vouchers they tried pushing, and finally perseverance paid off for all refunds...one reason I am now not trying to run off to Spain or France so quickly.
I hope there is less drama for many of you dealing with potential cancellations for 2021. My flights were through secondary online companies, but from folks on this forum I have learned to no longer use them as it made things far more difficult.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just booked online
Did you book through the Air France website or a third party site?
Since it is a date change and not a simple time change you are entitled to a full refund. Call Delta (or Air France) and tell them that the change doesn't work for you and that you want a refund. Do not simply cancel on the website. Your insurance does not need to be involved for this.

I would not read much into this change of the date of a Delta transatlantic flight from the USA to Portugal for September 2021. Airlines need to bring inactive staff and machines back into service, and this change may have more to do with organisational issues than with epidemiological developments, i.e. with rapidly increasing demand for flights.

For example: June 19, 2021 - American Airlines Is Cancelling Scores Of Flights Due To Lack Of Pilots - https://viewfromthewing.com/american-airlines-is-cancelling-scores-of-flights-due-to-lack-of-pilots/
Thank you for educating me on that. Now if they want to change the depart date can i now for the same ticket price i already paid, no additional fees, change the return date since that is their doing?

Last edited:
Since it is a date change and not a simple time change you are entitled to a full refund. Call Delta (or Air France) and tell them that the change doesn't work for you and that you want a refund. Do not simply cancel on the website. Your insurance does not need to be involved for this.
Yes. Thank you dear. They want to change departure for the next day. But i am not SUPER sure if i want to give up yet on my first so dreamed camino. 😞 But also alone there and “no family” to help whatsoever even if i am fully vaccinated, it is worrisome. I need to check my options and think a bit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for educate me on that. Now if they want to change the depart date can i now for the same ticket price i already paid change the return date since that is their doing?
I don't know consumer law in the USA. Although .... if your contract is with AirFrance ... talk to them, is all I can say but others will be more knowledgeable for this specific situation than I am.

Third party. Thank you

I don't know consumer law in the USA. Although .... if your contract is with AirFrance ... talk to them, is all I can say but others will be more knowledgeable for this specific situation than I am.
My credit card charge is from Air France airlines but the flight is with Delta and was also Delta that emailed me a hour ago. I will get opinions here before i act.

When covid first hit, I had several flights that were eventually cancelled as I had booked for 4 persons, one of them at different times. It took me weeks dealing with all the rigamarole, along with hours holding on the phone at times to speak to someone. I refused the vouchers they tried pushing, and finally perseverance paid off for all refunds...one reason I am now not trying to run off to Spain or France so quickly.
I hope there is less drama for many of you dealing with potential cancellations for 2021. My flights were through secondary online companies, but from folks on this forum I have learned to no longer use them as it made things far more difficult.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Third party. Thank you
That's more problematic. I hope that it's one of the better third parties like Expedia or Travelocity. Most of the smaller ones have very poor customer support. 😕
They want to change departure for the next day.
Does one day make such a big difference to your trip that you need to cancel it??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did you book a return flight or two separate flights? That makes a difference. I’ve had that experience two or three times before with EasyJet most latterly when they changed the outbound date and time twice snd then cancelled it altogether.

First port of call is with the portal you booked through in my opinion.

Third party. Thank you
If you booked through a third party it is going to be way more difficult based on my experience anyway. About 6 years ago I booked through Kiwi. NEVER AGAIN NEVER NEVER AGAIN. My flight was from Mexico City/Miami/Madrid. I flew on Iberia. My flight from Mexico City was cancelled the day before as there was a major hurricane going through Florida. Kiwi told me tough luck. They cancelled my reservation and said I needed to book another one. They said if you want to get money back to call Iberia. Iberia said they would refund whatever money they could. My flight was about $400US dollars. Iberia gave me back about $250. That was all they had received from Kiwi and they told me that Kiwi is just going to keep the rest. I had to book a new ticket for the next day that was a direct flight from Mexico City to Madrid. The agent for Iberia was really great and he talked to two supervisors and they discounted the fare by almost $125 but it still cost be about $450 for my new ticket.
Now I do not even consider looking at a third party booker. I do everything through the airline and call them to make sure I understand everything involved in delays, cancellations etc.
This year I am again going through Iberia. I booked directly with them. I could have gotten a slightly lower fare on Delta but I choose to go with Iberia because their Covid cancellation policy is clearly written on their website. I believe it covers all my bases so I am again going with Iberia to Madrid.

Has anyone ever done this successfully? I tried once through HSBC Visa and they were very reluctant to step in.
Right. Credit card companies will only do a charge back if you don't receive the goods or services that you paid for through the fault of the company that you bought the goods or services.
The first step in this case is to let the company that the tickets were purchased through know that you reject the new date, and ask for a refund.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Our Philadelphia to Madrid flight for late August was cancelled by American Airlines just this week. Luckily, we were able to be rerouted through Miami. Although it makes for a longer travel day, we get to Madrid earlier and will be able to catch an earlier flight to Porto. So, all seems to be working out fine. One just has to stay flexible and patient these days.

I think going to your credit card company would be the last resort to try, especially if you have already paid the charge off for the flight and they have already received payment.
Last year the company I purchased the flight insurance from (CSA travel) did not want to deal with covid related cancellations. I had to go through both Expedia and Orbitz to secure those difficult refunds. One of the many flights was purchased directly from a major airline and was less problematic.

It was all over the news this morning that American Airlines just cancelled a ton of flights. Seems that with everyone wanting to fly all at once they are short staffed. Why they book flights they know that can not do is beyond me but that is a different topic. As they hire more staff back from the Covid lay offs things will get better.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They did that for my September flight—Atlanta to Madrid. After a long, long wait I was able to connect with a Delta agent who re-booked me through JFK exactly the same time and dates as my original flight.

We had a bargain fare (air miles) on Delta. They cancelled the flight and returned the miles(I will never see such deal again) I wanted a ticket credit. I'm sorry for your plight.

I had two cancellations...Americ Air told me Spain only accepta flights from certain cities. Charlotte wasn't one of them so I got nixed and rebooked. Weird year

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will have to call the ticketing carrier which in your case is Air France. Since the flight was changed to next day, they have to refund your money if you requested. Call them and they should take care of it over the phone.

Has anyone ever done this successfully? I tried once through HSBC Visa and they were very reluctant to step in.
I successfully recovered the cost of my Iberia flights I booked for a 2020 VDLP camino via my Mastercard and also Lufthansa for a trip to Cyprus (via Austria) This was after Iberia became uncontactable to any normal method of communication and Lufthansa also stopped communicating.

This option is available to people in UK only who have booked with a credit card for a service which is over 100 GBP.

The Credit card company re-imbursed me in full after 30 days of taking up the complaint. However it took six weeks minimum for them to react to registering the complaint.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You will have to call the ticketing carrier which in your case is Air France. Since the flight was changed to next day, they have to refund your money if you requested. Call them and they should take care of it over the phone.
Yes!

Delta and Air France have code sharing flights. If you go back to where you originally booked the flight on Air France,it will likely indicate that the flight itself is operated by Delta…but booked through AirFrance.

If you cancel the Flight and then wish to go, you will pay whatever the rate is when you rebook. However, if Delta has changed the flight by one day, and you accept the change, normally there is usually no additional charge for the change.

As I read your concerns about going alone, etc., the question you need to answer is, I Think, do you still want to do it in September? As soon as you decide, call Air France.

Last edited:
With regard to xtending your trip by an additional day, I would call Air France. That change may be need to be made by a supervisor. If you do get a no from the reservationist online….You might ask to speak with a supervisor…

Last edited:
In the screenshot of the message you received it says the "fastest option" is to cancel and receive an e-credit..." but there are more options if you want a refund to your original form of payment-it will just take much longer. If you want to simply change dates, do that within the app as directed. Wait times are notoriously long right now if you call reservations. Be prepared for a lengthy process if you need to call.

American Airlines changed our ticket for October 2021 last week. They changed our connecting flight. Now, we are going out of Miami and not Charlotte. I have read that American Airlines was consolidating flights. FYI, If American Airlines changes your ticket even by minutes you need to call them so that they re-ticket it for you. I have found this out in one of our previous trips.

If you flight change was done by the airlines then there should be no charge for the change. I would hope they will refund your money or give you a credit.

Our son was able to change his Delta flights via the app by messaging.

From what I've been hearing, a lot of airlines have been doing this lately - cancelling certain legs of the flights - with no explanation or reason! This happened to me last year 3 times! And my sister just had cancellations on one leg of her EU flight. This makes me very hesitant to keep booking, only to have them cancel it on me. I aim to walk the Camino in mid-September but haven't proceeded with flight bookings for this very reason...

Bug**r all! ... American Airlines just changed my 1 October Madrid-Charlotte-Richmond flight to Madrid-JFK (must then somehow shuttle to) LGA-Richmond. Did it in the dead of night, with no notification of any kind sent to me. Haven't been this annoyed in a long time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bug**r all! ... American Airlines just changed my 1 October Madrid-Charlotte-Richmond flight to Madrid-JFK (must then somehow shuttle to) LGA-Richmond. Did it in the dead of night, with no notification of any kind sent to me. Haven't been this annoyed in a long time.
Yes, it seems it's still quite chaotic out there... And they're making these changes/cancellations often without any warning or explanation. Sorry for your set-back :(

I wonder if they are playing games! On top of the disaster that is this covid. I am seriously wondering now. Almost 3 months before flight they are doing this. Hopefully is not their way to keep business. People organize and plan their lives around these flights. Connecting flights, hotels, etc... time off work... Imagine if they get people to buy then cancel, so they get one ticket sold and then sell same seat even higher to someone else knowning that they will keep both clients. First one with a voucher (for flying later) and second one actually flying. Specially if the originally tickets was sold cheaper which i doubt they will guaranty the same price later. I know airlines are having problems but to me all this sound weird. Sorry.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I booked my flights in April through Lufthansa as soon as I heard that Europe was going to open up for Americans....About 2 weeks after that, they cancelled one of my legs: All of a sudden, I had a flight from ELP to Chicago, then one from Amsterdam to Lisbon, but no connecting flight in-between. I called about it, and they fixed it immediately, no cost to me, but it was still rather weird. I will say that this has made me a bit nervous, so the closer I get to my actual flights (only 9 days!!!!), I've begun checking to make sure that all of my flights are still there daily.

This is just a weird year.

Ruth

I booked my flights in April through Lufthansa as soon as I heard that Europe was going to open up for Americans....About 2 weeks after that, they cancelled one of my legs: All of a sudden, I had a flight from ELP to Chicago, then one from Amsterdam to Lisbon, but no connecting flight in-between. I called about it, and they fixed it immediately, no cost to me, but it was still rather weird. I will say that this has made me a bit nervous, so the closer I get to my actual flights (only 9 days!!!!), I've begun checking to make sure that all of my flights are still there daily.

This is just a weird year.

Ruth
All very weird because they are not doing just to one or two people.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anyone who is planning to travel during a pandemic has to be ready for changes to flights, accommodations, restrictions in countries, etc.
So true, and one of the biggest reasons I personally have decided to hold off and keep waiting. I am happy for a few Americans who have very recently entered Spain or France with a success story, but I can count those forum members on one hand so far. I hope to read of better odds before long.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lol. Sorry i just thought that. It can be confusing. Let me see if i can change it. Don’t want to cause confusion in this already Covid confusing world 😊

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, it seems it's still quite chaotic out there... And they're making these changes/cancellations often without any warning or explanation. Sorry for your set-back :(
Have you called them? Tell them this does not work for you. To shuttle from JFK to LGA after a along flight is unreasonable…especially depending upon when you fly in. Perhaps another-return date?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To be fair, Delta didn't cancel your trip. They cancelled some flights and rescheduled your trip.
I appreciate your perspective too. I enjoy learning other views. Sorry my bad english, not my native language. 😊 For me this all good if they will at least give me another option for another flight for the same price, the same amount of days since they are the ones changing.

We will see... i am not super stressed about this infact i didnt even pay soo much for these tickets but i am not sure If it is ok “even with covid” for airlines to decide how many days you are there in your destination. Maybe unless is a governamental entry problem that someone cant enter the country or exit etc...

My point is lets say one have a round Trip of 24days for example, can airlines change to 22, 23 or whatever they want? If they change departure they should also change arrival too or vice-versa. I am just questioning here 🙂as i dont even know what they will do or what is the allowed legal thing to do.

In my opinion a virus could delay a product but the product when arrives needs to be what was sold.
If compared with many other businesses that could be also affected by covid lets just say if one bought 23 windows and store says they cant deliver on the promised date and then wants to deliver late and now 22 pieces for what you already paid? If one pays 23 windows must receive 23 or with good customer service 22+ refund for one Or full refund(cash) or credit(voucher) to buy the same exact windows type another time(same flights).

I am just brainstorming what these airlines can do or cant do. Giving a voucher that doesn't garranty same flight later on like happened to a friend i think It is not fair. The voucher could not buy the same he bought before because prices where different when he tried to change. I am just trying to figure out. Maybe my airline is good and will not do this to us. Even if this is new to me, to many and new to them too. Owning a business has risks. Covid is sadly proving us that.

Last edited:
My point is lets say one have a round Trip of 24days for example, can airlines change to 22, 23 or whatever they want?
Yes, they have the right to cancel or reroute flights. These things are done with an automated system. The system automatically reschedules you when a flight is cancelled to the next available flight. You have the right to contact them and request a different day or request a refund. If you opt for a different day there should be no extra charge. The airline isn't going to reinstate the flight because you want a holiday of a particular number of days. But when you contact them you can tell them that you accept the change only if they can change your return flight to a different day.
For questions about dealing with airlines I recommend TripAdvisor's Air Travel forum. There are many people on that forum who are frequent flyers and understand the ins and outs of airlines.

Yes, they have the right to cancel or reroute flights. These things are done with an automated system. The system automatically reschedules you when a flight is cancelled to the next available flight. You have the right to contact them and request a different day or request a refund. If you opt for a different day there should be no extra charge. The airline isn't going to reinstate the flight because you want a holiday of a particular number of days. But when you contact them you can tell them that you accept the change only if they can change your return flight to a different day.
For questions about dealing with airlines I recommend TripAdvisor's Air Travel forum. There are many people on that forum who are frequent flyers and understand the ins and outs of airlines.
Cool. Thanks

We had an Iberia direct SFO-MAD flight booked for October when they cancelled it and changed us to a very inconvenient connection in Chicago. I called and got a complete refund.

Advice from anyone on shuttling from JFK to LGA solicited, either openly or via PM.

If "Tom A" is back on the Forum would especially appreciate his input.

Advice from anyone on shuttling from JFK to LGA solicited, either openly or via PM.

I googled : transfer from JFK to LGA.

This is my two cents worth:
You can take a taxi, a shuttle, or a bus.
The NY subway does NOT go to LGA.
The shuttle (various private companies) will take over an hour to transfer. The city bus will take as long or longer AND be crowded. Me, I’d suck it up and take a taxi - most expensive but faster than the other two.
Now this is just my thing, you do whatever floats your boat! Take care and Buen Camino
—Jackie

You don't necessarily have to accept this change. Contact AA and ask them if there are other options that don't involve a change of airport.

Hi R…..rev
I understand your frustration with flights.

Btw

Tom has been posting but might not have seen this thread yet.

@t2andreo

OK, so I'm getting a bit confused by now on this thread.
Here are my questions:
  1. It seems the advice is to make your reservations directly from the airlines company, not through an agent (do they still exist?) or through a company like Travelocity or Expedia because if there is a problem with the flight, you must go through those companies rather than through the airlines directly. Is this correct??
  2. Pay by credit card, of course, but realize that the credit card company will probably not be involved in any cancellation/voucher/refund discussions. Is this correct?
  3. Travelocity/Expedia/etc. often offer discounted airfares. Is there a way to get discounts when reserving directly through the airlines?
  4. I usually don't make my reservation RT because I don't want to have to deal with "tik-tok-tik-toc" as I walk at whatever pace I feel like. Because I'm coming from quite a distance, there will be many connecting flights involved. Any thoughts - am I asking for trouble or am I avoiding it?
I'm planning my next Camino for May 2022. I plan to have issues getting into the bed race, but not getting into Spain. I am assuming these Covid-related airline reservation difficulties will be resolved by then.

My hat is off, and sincerest thanks, to all of you who have gone through the frustration of having airline reservations, and caminos, cancelled through no fault of your own due to this unprecedented pandemic. You who are dealing with 2021 caminos now, thank you for taking the heat with all these difficulties. I hope these struggles are the worst part of your journey.

Buen Camino!!
(and thanks in advance for your answers).

Here are my questions:
  1. It seems the advice is to make your reservations directly from the airlines company, not through an agent (do they still exist?) or through a company like Travelocity or Expedia because if there is a problem with the flight, you must go through those companies rather than through the airlines directly. Is this correct??
For my 2020 Camino, I had made all the flight arrangements for a few family members, using Orbitz and Expedia. I had to go through them to secure our flight refunds, which took weeks because they had to deal with the airlines first, and then I had to deal with Orbitz and Expedia. I tried going directly to the airlines but they would not help me. I will avoid using booking sites in the future.

It seems the advice is to make your reservations directly from the airlines company, not through an agent (do they still exist?) or through a company like Travelocity or Expedia because if there is a problem with the flight, you must go through those companies rather than through the airlines directly. Is this correct??
Yes, absolutely
Pay by credit card, of course, but realize that the credit card company will probably not be involved in any cancellation/voucher/refund discussions. Is this correct?
If there is any kind of breach of contract, i.e., the airline cancels the flights but won't refund your money, that's when your credit card company can step in. Not if you just change your mind and want to cancel. Also, many credit card companies offer some limited trip insurance just for using their card to buy your tickets. Be sure to check and see if your card offers anything.
Travelocity/Expedia/etc. often offer discounted airfares. Is there a way to get discounts when reserving directly through the airlines?
I think that you will find that you will rarely, if ever get a better far from a 3rd part ticket seller.

The TripAdvisor Air Travel forum is a really good place to get information about how best to book tickets, and what to do if you have a problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok guys for your information i accepted their change, i called Airfrance they changed the return no problem. You were right. First time i had a flight cancelled on me. And now i can even see Barcelona for the first time! 😉I was flying to and back from Lisbon. Now i fly in Lisbon and leave from Barcelona. Thank u

Last edited:

The fastest way is by taxi. If there is no traffic, once you get in the cab it takes about a half hour. Expect-to pay more than 50 dollars for the cab…not sure what it costs now? There is a shuttle service that runs between the two airports which is less expensive. Not sure of its schedule, however. I have used a taxi from Laguardia to JFK but at night, when there was no traffic and I stayed overnight at JFK before a flight the next day.

You will have to go through customs/immigration at JFK which can be a “zoo” and then on to your luggage at JFK, and then wait for a taxi. This will add several hours onto your trip. As a native NYer now living elsewhere….NO WAY would I I return from an international-flight go through the exiting procedures, get my luggage and then schlepp to a connecting flight at Laguardia. Good luck with that! Are there no other alternatives?

i booked through air France because it looked they would refund my money but even though i booked through air France and my credit card paid and shows their name, the flight Nyc to Lisbon ended up with Delta. i am now contacted by Delta to reschedule and i would like to get my money back and not a voucher to use later.
Someone asked a travel guru to help them with a similar problem with an Expedia, Delta and Air France collaboration. You may get some tips at the following webpage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will read now to learn from her experience but i just rescheduled my flight. Thanks. All good. 🙏
Someone asked a travel guru to help them with a similar problem with an Expedia, Delta and Air France collaboration. You may get some tips at the following webpage.

Air France is a partner to Delta, I believe. When one books a flight, especially if international, there usually are partners who fly one or more of the legs.
If your flights are with Air France and one leg is on Delta, Delta is changing their schedule, which begs the question are all the legs matched up? That it is not that you fly the following day on Delta to some place while the Air France flight was the day before as originally arranged?

I learnt long ago not to book flights through a third party like Expedia. If you run into trouble the airline will not help you. I do check out the third parties' offerings and when I find something suitable I go directly to the website of the airline they listed. At that, because I live in the US, I still have to be careful to be sure the leg across the ocean (Atlantic or Pacific) is not on flights from a non-US carrier. Once upon a time, I booked on American Airlines to fly to UK from home to Dallas, and the transatlantic flight was on partner British Air. Turns out we cannot choose a seat for such a flight across the pond--they stick me wherever they like on the day of the flight. But if I selected the same flight listed as American Airline and not as partner BA, I get a seat selection. No way will I risk being stuck in a middle seat on a 9 hour flight.

The other thing I have unhappily learnt is that while I prefer to book months in advance, 99% of the time the airline contacts me at some point to say their schedule is changed and here's my new flight. Often it is not workable for me, but a firm voice and persistence usually gets a flight I can live with.

Trip insurance varies, so you will need to comb through their fine print to be sure you have appropriate coverage, but from what you wrote it sounds like Delta is just changing the flights, not dumping you and refusing to refund your money.

In any case, check all your flights were appropriately rearranged, with adequate times to make it to the next flight (allowing for late arrival, change of terminal, etc). I do not know about your current booking, but usually the airlines say if the price goes up, you pay the difference, if you choose to cancel and rebook. I imagine a voucher is solely for the amount you paid, and if the cost of a new trip goes up, you pay the difference. Which makes me think that if you have been given a new booking for the same price and you can make the changes work, you wouldn't be paying a higher price that soon will come (yesterday they were predicting 16% fare increase soon).

Lastly, you mentioned some fears about COVID and no family where you will be traveling, etc. Are you a first time pilgrim? Anything can happen, even if you stay home. It all is a matter of trusting God or the Universe or the Camino and the people you will meet along the way.

Buen camino.

(BTW, Delta announced to day they plan to hire 100 new pilots. Good luck to them.)

The other thing I have unhappily learnt is that while I prefer to book months in advance, 99% of the time the airline contacts me at some point to say their schedule is changed and here's my new flight.
The farther ahead you book, the better the chances are that there will be a change to your flights.
I've learned that in normal, non-pandemic times, that airlines generally "adjust" their schedules twice a year. So if you book more than 6 months in advance there's a very good chance that there will be a change in your schedule.

A couple of years ago United changed the first leg of my flight home, which was originally Porto to Toronto to Frankfurt to Toronto. I called them right away to point out that I wasn't going to be anywhere near Frankfurt, and that they needed to get me home from Porto. I also took the opportunity of this change to change the date of my return flight and give myself 5 more days in Europe. I think that they charged me a small fee to change the return date (around $50), which I thought was fair.

A couple of years ago United changed the first leg of my flight home, which was originally Porto to Toronto to Frankfurt to Toronto. I called them right away to point out that I wasn't going to be anywhere near Frankfurt, and that they needed to get me home from Porto.

Gotta love the insanity of the decision-making algorithm on that one. Apparently, since Europe is so small, one city is as good as another for changing flight origins. Did they ‘get it’ when you called them?

The farther ahead you book, the better the chances are that there will be a change to your flights.
I've learned that in normal, non-pandemic times, that airlines generally "adjust" their schedules twice a year. So if you book more than 6 months in advance there's a very good chance that there will be a change in your schedule.

A couple of years ago United changed the first leg of my flight home, which was originally Porto to Toronto to Frankfurt to Toronto. I called them right away to point out that I wasn't going to be anywhere near Frankfurt, and that they needed to get me home from Porto. I also took the opportunity of this change to change the date of my return flight and give myself 5 more days in Europe. I think that they charged me a small fee to change the return date (around $50), which I thought was fair.
You are correct. Generally the airlines adjust schedules every 6 months--although at the moment it seems like every 6 hours!! Hehehe.
And you are clever for using the change to your advantage!

Gotta love the insanity of the decision-making algorithm on that one. Apparently, since Europe is so small, one city is as good as another for changing flight origins. Did they ‘get it’ when you called them?
Yes with me on the phone today similar thing. Both of my original booked flights where direct Flights, they wanted me stop in another country not offering direct flights as i bought. I said no way! Then they finally got direct as i had paid for.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are correct. Generally the airlines adjust schedules every 6 months--although at the moment it seems like every 6 hours!! Hehehe.
And you are clever for using the change to your advantage!
Exactly what i did. Lol

They definitely "got it" when I called them. It was apparently the result of bad AI. 😅

Air France is a partner to Delta, I believe. When one books a flight, especially if international, there usually are partners who fly one or more of the legs.
If your flights are with Air France and one leg is on Delta, Delta is changing their schedule, which begs the question are all the legs matched up? That it is not that you fly the following day on Delta to some place while the Air France flight was the day before as originally arranged?

I learnt long ago not to book flights through a third party like Expedia. If you run into trouble the airline will not help you. I do check out the third parties' offerings and when I find something suitable I go directly to the website of the airline they listed. At that, because I live in the US, I still have to be careful to be sure the leg across the ocean (Atlantic or Pacific) is not on flights from a non-US carrier. Once upon a time, I booked on American Airlines to fly to UK from home to Dallas, and the transatlantic flight was on partner British Air. Turns out we cannot choose a seat for such a flight across the pond--they stick me wherever they like on the day of the flight. But if I selected the same flight listed as American Airline and not as partner BA, I get a seat selection. No way will I risk being stuck in a middle seat on a 9 hour flight.

The other thing I have unhappily learnt is that while I prefer to book months in advance, 99% of the time the airline contacts me at some point to say their schedule is changed and here's my new flight. Often it is not workable for me, but a firm voice and persistence usually gets a flight I can live with.

Trip insurance varies, so you will need to comb through their fine print to be sure you have appropriate coverage, but from what you wrote it sounds like Delta is just changing the flights, not dumping you and refusing to refund your money.

In any case, check all your flights were appropriately rearranged, with adequate times to make it to the next flight (allowing for late arrival, change of terminal, etc). I do not know about your current booking, but usually the airlines say if the price goes up, you pay the difference, if you choose to cancel and rebook. I imagine a voucher is solely for the amount you paid, and if the cost of a new trip goes up, you pay the difference. Which makes me think that if you have been given a new booking for the same price and you can make the changes work, you wouldn't be paying a higher price that soon will come (yesterday they were predicting 16% fare increase soon).

Lastly, you mentioned some fears about COVID and no family where you will be traveling, etc. Are you a first time pilgrim? Anything can happen, even if you stay home. It all is a matter of trusting God or the Universe or the Camino and the people you will meet along the way.

Buen camino.

(BTW, Delta announced to day they plan to hire 100 new pilots. Good luck to them.)
Thank you so much. You are right about the camino even being my first one. I believe everything will be great and just the way it needs to be. Very educational your post especially the middle seat. Thank God They already change for me so now i want to check if i can get seats i did not ask that to them on the phone.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
interesting i went online to delta 😯 to check if i can get seats after reading here and for my surprise now all the flights there doesn't match with what the airfrance lady told me and changed today, she emailed the change which i have in my inbox. She email my new tickets with details now Delta has different flights for me. Two websites not matching. What says on airfrance is totally different to the Delta website so i cant save any seat yet Until this is corrected. Jee i guess i need to call again tomorrow to check what is going on. I spoke with airfrance because they are the ones that received my money. And they changed the flight, delta website says my flight is all different then what airfrance emailed to me today. Going through germany and france that i never agreed to. Or even received any email with that change from them. Maybe Delta needs 24 h to update the single return change.

originally was booked with airfrance (but they decide to reschedule)
Nyc-Lisbon
Lisbon-Nyc

I accepted the change today to
Nyc-lisbon
Barcelona-Nyc
(It is on my email the confirmation and airfrance website as proof)

Now Delta website says crazy flights. I live in America how i will start my flight from Germany. Maybe change is not automatic??? i will check tomorrow. 😱
8D8DC767-4627-4EF1-A635-820B257F8219.jpeg

Last edited:

€149,-
I think that we all should just expect schedule/cancellations for our upcoming trips.
I have an excellent flight to Israel in September on United (SwissAir)...so far no changes.

I have just had a return from Warsaw (to the U.S.) cancelled in October on American Airlines. There was no alternative flight or date....just cancelled the route. Rebooked it out of Amsterdam and will hope it remains valid as it is a direct flight home.

It is very annoying but I am taking the position that I am very blessed to be able to travel around at all. :cool:
Very lucky to be able to change my plans enough to return from Amsterdam instead of Warsaw without much inconvenience.

Roll with the punches this year.:)

I think that we all should just expect schedule/cancellations for our upcoming trips.
I have an excellent flight to Israel in September on United (SwissAir)...so far no changes.

I have just had a return from Warsaw (to the U.S,) cancelled in October on American Airlines. There was no alternative flight or date....just cancelled the route. Rebooked it out of Amsterdam and will hope it remains valid as it is a direct flight home.

It is very annoying but I am taking the position that I am very blessed to be able to travel around at all. :cool:
Very lucky to be able to change my plans enough to return from Amsterdam instead of Warsaw without much inconvenience.

tru

I have just had a return from Warsaw cancelled in October on American Airlines. There was no alternative flight or date....just cancelled the route. Rebooked it out of Amsterdam and will hope it remains valid as it is a direct flight home.

So true! This is more than just a trip for me. it is a new espiritual journey, a transformation and a dream.

I have just had a return from Warsaw cancelled in October on American Airlines. There was no alternative flight or date....just cancelled the route. Rebooked it out of Amsterdam and will hope it remains valid as it is a direct flight home.

UA. Non stop from EWR to MAD Sept. Had since November…no changes yet!

UA. Non stop from EWR to MAD Sept. Had since November…no changes yet!
So Happy for you. Hope continues this way. My change for Europe ended being for the better but on the other end I paid a bit more to change my connection to Ny. All good. I decided i will not reserve accommodations until very close to the trip.

Thank you so much. You are right about the camino even being my first one. I believe everything will be great and just the way it needs to be. Very educational your post especially the middle seat. Thank God They already change for me so now i want to check if i can get seats i did not ask that to them on the phone.
And if you require special meals, be sure to ask about that--and check with them again 48 hours before the flight and again when you arrive at the airport. I am a vegetarian and have had several times where I have checked multiple times before the flight and even at the airport desk where I saw the agent look me up in the computer and then on the plane I am told I am not listed as having a special meal, so no food for me! Go figure! I always carry a couple of Clif bars just in case. Ask to speak to the purser if something goes awry on the flight. And be sure to ask for Frequent Flyer miles as compensation!
You are correct, your Camino will work out--there may be glitches along the way but you will look back on it all with a smile. I repeatedly have found that the Camino Provides. ☄️

Our October 1st flight was changed. It was Raleigh-Charlotte-Madrid. Now it is Raleigh-Miami-Madrid. I did check yesterday flight status from Miami and the flights to Madrid have been flying. We are starting from Leon in October.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And if you require special meals, be sure to ask about that--and check with them again 48 hours before the flight and again when you arrive at the airport. I am a vegetarian and have had several times where I have checked multiple times before the flight and even at the airport desk where I saw the agent look me up in the computer and then on the plane I am told I am not listed as having a special meal, so no food for me! Go figure! I always carry a couple of Clif bars just in case. Ask to speak to the purser if something goes awry on the flight. And be sure to ask for Frequent Flyer miles as compensation!
You are correct, your Camino will work out--there may be glitches along the way but you will look back on it all with a smile. I repeatedly have found that the Camino Provides. ☄️
Interesting you gave us the advice of food planning. Thank you so much. I usually eat very health, lots of vegetables, Broccolis, green beans, greens etc... im not a vegetarian really but i have to say that this is “one thing“ that i thought by listening to others that on the caminos little villages is not so so easily found, vegetables so i know that i will need to prepare for that as my body reacts and don't do so well. It needs those fibers and vegetables. 😊 My body will need to adjust with what is offered in those villages, bars and on the way. I will bring medication and at least everytime i see a salad on the menu i will run for it. 😊

Last edited:
Our October 1st flight was changed. It was Raleigh-Charlotte-Madrid. Now it is Raleigh-Miami-Madrid. I did check yesterday flight status from Miami and the flights to Madrid have been flying. We are starting from Leon in October.
We will get there and when we do, it will be all worth and special!

When we booked our Philadelphia-Madrid flight, we, too, had the Charlotte option at that time. Both are now cancelled and like you, we’ll be on the Miami-Madrid flight in late-August. Fingers crossed for no more changes. Crazy times!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I have read, and know someone who is a pilot who would vouch for this, that many pilots are now having to go back for several weeks of training because they weren't flying for a long time. I think this retraining is pretty standard after any pilot's lengthy absence.

Calling the airline (Air France) that the “ticket stock” it is written on. They should handle all cancellation and rebooking issues. And read the rules of carriage that you had to agree to when mak the reservation.

Lloyd (and retired airline pilot)

Cancelled my changed-for-the-much-worse September American Airlines tickets to MAD and -- gotta give 'em credit! -- easily got a full refund. Then easily rescheduled on American Airlines for less than my original tickets had cost me! Money for a few extra vinos tintos, eh? ... And used that rescheduling as an excuse to tack a few extra days onto my next Camino! The Camino provides, eh?

Last edited:
Cancelled my changed-for-the-much-worse September American Airlines tickets to MAD and -- gotta give 'em credit! -- easily got a full refund. Then easily rescheduled on American Airlines for less than my original ticket had cost me! Money for a few extra vinos tintos, eh? ... And used that rescheduling as an excuse to tack a few extra days onto my next Camino! The Camino provides, eh?
Were you able to-get better connections? Are you still changing on the way home at JFKto LGA?

It was all over the news this morning that American Airlines just cancelled a ton of flights. Seems that with everyone wanting to fly all at once they are short staffed. Why they book flights they know that can not do is beyond me but that is a different topic. As they hire more staff back from the Covid lay offs things will get better.
I never fly AA without purchasing trip insurance. I've yet to fly with them that something hasn't been changed in some way or another. They are good at blaming weather so their responsibility is minimal. But, I will say, if you call them (if you can find the number), they usually try to work with you.

Lots of opinions and advice. My understanding is that the tickets should be refundable, but...yes... you will have to deal with the 3rd-party whom you bought the tix from. that in itself is a headache...but maybe you'll get lucky.
My originally-planned flight PHL-->DUB-->CdG on Aer Lingus for May 20th was cancelled in rather stupid fashion - they cancelled the PHL --> DUb but left DUB--> CdG still on :oops:
I called my 3rd party - thankfully no problem; they cancelled everything and i got a refund from Aer Lingus probably within a week
To be fair, 99% of the time i book directly with the airline

With all these 'news' i shall keep my fingers x-ed that my United EWR-->BCN on July 30 is still good

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was asked to review this thread and weigh in. For what it is worth, here are my observations and recommendations:

1. The airlines are slowly coming back to life globally. In the process they are having growing/ expansion pains.

2. Passengers seem to be a secondary consideration at this time. Eventually, this should all even out. This could take another six months to a year, in my view.

3. To reduce the chance of getting screwed over, I try to fly on Iberia, direct to Madrid from Miami. The flight either operates or it does not. I have had flights cancelled twice, and have received a full refund.

4. I prefer to fly on a US carrier, but frankly, their customer service is lacking. And, their routings are frequently sketchy. I refuse to be treated like cargo.

5. For the next year, convenient connections will be few and far between. We need to be flexible. Pre-COVID “convenience” will be long in returning.

6. I recommend flying domestically to the nearest hub offering direct flights on the national carrier to that country’s hub airport: e.g. Iberia to Madrid, Air France to Paris, TAP to Lisbon, etc. The destination city depends on your Camino starting place.

This may not be the cheapest option, but I believe it will be more reliable. You can travel the day before, or very early in the morning, planning on a long layover at the US intercontinental hub.

That ensures you are where you need to be - and early. Check in as soon as you can with the overseas carrier. Once you check in, you are their responsibility and your rights change slightly

7. US carriers will more easily screw around with getting you from point A to point B. Their routing and load factors are driving their return to profitability. Passenger convenience is a secondary consideration.

If my offer to volunteer at Santiago is accepted, I plan to book round-trip from MIA-SCQ, via MAD, all on Iberia.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Tom

Cancelled my changed-for-the-much-worse September American Airlines tickets to MAD and -- gotta give 'em credit! -- easily got a full refund. Then easily rescheduled on American Airlines for less than my original tickets had cost me! Money for a few extra vinos tintos, eh? ... And used that rescheduling as an excuse to tack a few extra days onto my next Camino! The Camino provides, eh?
That is what i did. When they rescheduled me i added another week. Lol

€149,-
Jeeeezzz! You guys will not believe it! Just received another email from Delta they are rescheduling my departure again. This time one hour earlier and i am about to forget about this trip and get my money back. Lisbon also is not getting better either! Maybe now i go next year! This will not be fun this way. I want to go so bad now but also getting tired of these changes. Its Covid i can deal with some difficulties, pay more for everything but no need so much trouble, i want to enjoy my first one too! Maybe in May is a bit better and i go! ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.