• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Denatured alcohol/Trangia stove

lthrnck55

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances via Lourdes Sept/Oct/Nov 2022
Hello - Can anyone point me to a store in SJPDP that sells small amounts of denatured alcohol for use in a Trangia stove? --- Thanks --- Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm told, on another forum, that you can get in in pharmacists.

Eh, just to tell you, there isn't a real need normally to carry a stove on the CF, lots of albergue kitchens and bars around. Save the weight. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Eh, just to tell you, there isn't a real need normally to carry a stove on the CF, lots of albergue kitchens and bars around. Save the weight. Buen Camino, SY

Please ... as well meaning as you may be, I ask that you do not send me unsolicited advice. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please ... as well meaning as you may be, I ask that you do not send me unsolicited advice. Thanks.

More unsolicited advice - don't be so abrupt with people who have far more experience than you and who contribute so much to this forum. Play nice or you won't get invited to any more parties :)

Back to your original point if you go to most supermarkets and look in the cleaning section you'll find small plastic bottles usually 100 or 250ml of alcohol. Works fine, some people add a splash of water to it. Do not buy methylated spirits (usually blue coloured) as it stinks.

Last edited:
Lol, in that case an electric coil would be lighter and less hassle ;-) Buen Camino, SY

But then you need a 10km extension cord so you can plug it in ;)

Sun's up, time for a walk - now where did I put that pack?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am not sure how you intend to use the stove but do please be aware that fires outside (in the wild) are prohibited in many areas and even a trangia stove may well be illegal. This may be more unsought advice but is worth noting!

Thank you again to the two gentlemen that provided concise answers to my question. Very much appreciated.

To the rest, I hope you have a wonderful day. :)

I am not sure how you intend to use the stove but do please be aware that fires outside (in the wild) are prohibited in many areas and even a trangia stove may well be illegal. This may be more unsought advice but is worth noting!

I agree with this. I once accidentally kicked over my Trangia in Switzerland and but for the quick action if fellow backpackers I would have definitely caused a serious local fire.

There is signage on many Caminos about illegality of fires and caution about lighting cigarettes. I seem to remember this particularly before San Juan de Ortega.

Just an observation.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
An option would be to use barbecue lighter / lighting fuel. It can be found almost everywhere. It will be based on methanol or ethanol. What ever it based on it will burn. I have used it before without any problems. Try it before you go.

Last edited:

Nobody is "sending" you unsolicited advice.
This is a public forum.
Here's some more advice. If you want help from other more experienced walkers, try a simple "thanks," and then do whatever you want.

In my opinon, there is absolutely no reason to take a stove on the Camino.
It's a fire hazard and there are more than enough places to eat along the Way.
But that's just my opinion. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Carrying a stove can be a good option for some people as there is the convenience, you can stop when you like and prepare a drink or a meal. Then there is the budget consideration, you can make big savings if you can brew a drink or cook your own meals.

Some folks don't get it ... I understand. Their Camino consists of waking up in the morning, bustling around and waking others up, getting on the trail and hurrying to the next albergue, washing their clothes and getting a nice hot shower, sitting down to a nice Pilgrim's meal, jamming ear plugs into their heads so they do not hear the groans, squeaks and farts of the next person and sleeping to the rhythm of their own heartbeat. Repeat.

That's not me. That's not my Camino. While I am not against sleeping in an albergue or enjoying a Pilgrims Menu, I truly enjoy picking up a few things, some cheese, fruit, fresh tomato a bottle of wine, chorizo and sleeping under the Milky Way. Watching the stars, listening to the music of the night, reading the bible and contemplating the universe. In the morning, I make my own coffee or tea. I fry a fresh egg or eat some oatmeal. Sometimes God treats me to a gorgeous sunrise that can feel like my very own.

The hobo stove I carry has been adequate by gathering twigs and small branches. I am just thinking of using a more reliable fuel source. I am 62 years old and have camped more times than I can count without starting a wildfire.

I have participated in vespers with the sisters at the Benedictine Monastery in Leon, laid in the pastures surrounded by horses and found peace in the music of their bells in the Pyrenees, received miraculous healing at the Pilgrim's Mass in Ponferrada and was awed by the beauty of a sunset outside of El Acebo.

As I have read on this forum many time, "It's Your Camino". SYates and others surprised me with their condescending and yes, "unsolicited advice" to a very specific question that I asked. I tried to be polite with "please" and "thanks" and gently letting her know I did not need or appreciate it. I was not being disrespectful in my view. I felt that she was. And frankly, I do not care how many books she has written. And if I spend a few less Euros at the cafe and bars, I feel no guilt.

Peace and Buen Camino,

Mark

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I do understand, especially as I have, in the far and distant past of the Camino, done likewise. But things have changed, at least on the CF. Just meditate for a few moments and try to step into the situation of a farmer that lives alongside the way:

He might not know that you know how to wild camp/light a fire/stove securely.
He might be afraid of you causing a fire. Forest fires are a big problem on the camino. *
He might be tired of finding every single day pilgrims wild camping on his grounds.

I didn't want to come across as condescending, sorry if I didn't express myself better!, but we, as pilgrims tend to see only our own 'moments in time' whilst the people living alongside the Camino see thousands and thousands of pilgrims pass every year, every single one thinking 'it is only me that does xyz, so no big deal and I know what I am doing'.

Still not sure I can transmit what I am thinking, but just try to put yourself into the shoes of a farmer that DOESN'T KNOW YOU.

Buen Camino, SY

*Many years back there was a major forest fire near Ponferrada, some people (pilgrims?) had made a fire on a mountain/near a river without containing it properly. The peat/underground caught fire and it crawled up the mountain and suddenly burst into the open. Many trees and wildlife were lost, thankfully, as far as I know, no human lives were lost. We could see the smoke from the albergue in Ponferrada where I was a hospitalera at that time. It was frightening. As far as I know the fire starters were never caught, they might have been pilgrims, they might have been local youth, they, most likely, didn't had any bad intention and even were quite careful. They simply didn't know about the local circumstances (peat/or peat like turf) that caused an underground fire ...

Mark, would you mind telling me what what hobo stove you are using. There are some great wood burning stoves available that very effective wood burners. I have a wood burning stove that can also use a trangia burner. The honey stove would give you the best of both.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD103.html

Here is the one I use. It has served me well. I would like to try the trangia burner if I can reliably get the proper fuel source.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMQJW0E/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VZ91WO/?tag=casaivar02-20

Hope this helps.

I will check out your stove.

Thanks

Yes, I do understand, especially as I have, in the far and distant past of the Camino, done likewise. But things have changed, at least on the CF. Just meditate for a few moments and try to step into the situation of a farmer that lives alongside the way:

He might not know that you know how to wild camp/light a fire/stove securely.
He might be afraid of you causing a fire. Forest fires are a big problem on the camino. *
He might be tired of finding every single day pilgrims wild camping on his grounds.

I didn't want to come across as condescending, sorry if I didn't express myself better!, but we, as pilgrims tend to see only our own 'moments in time' whilst the people living alongside the Camino see thousands and thousands of pilgrims pass every year, every single one thinking 'it is only me that does xyz, so no big deal and I know what I am doing'.

Still not sure I can transmit what I am thinking, but just try to put yourself into the shoes of a farmer that DOESN'T KNOW YOU.

Buen Camino, SY

*Many years back there was a major forest fire near Ponferrada, some people (pilgrims?) had made a fire on a mountain/near a river without containing it properly. The peat/underground caught fire and it crawled up the mountain and suddenly burst into the open. Many trees and wildlife were lost, thankfully, as far as I know, no human lives were lost. We could see the smoke from the albergue in Ponferrada where I was a hospitalera at that time. It was frightening. As far as I know the fire starters were never caught, they might have been pilgrims, they might have been local youth, they, most likely, didn't had any bad intention and even were quite careful. They simply didn't know about the local circumstances (peat/or peat like turf) that caused an underground fire ...

Thank you for understanding. I promise to be thoughtful, considerate and safety concious each and every time I strike a match or build a fire. My Boy Scout training of over 50 years ago still serves me well. Thank you for relaying the story of the wildfire in Ponferrada. I will keep it in my thoughts.

Peace and Buen Camino,

Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mark,

Both our stoves are very similar in design it would be hard to choose one over the other.

Thanks, James.

From my experience using the honey stove when trying to buy fuel in Cyprus ( I was walking the long distance path across Cyprus ). The two questions to ask are

1, what type of shop would sell suitable fuel.

2, when a suitable shop was found what would I be asking for.

Having not put any thought into the two questions then finding a suitable fuel was problematic.

Having a think about your home town how many places would sell fuel and what would ask for. If you have a couple of hours free go for a walk round you home town and see what the results are. An example would be a chemist would not sell meths but may sell denatured alcohol. If you asked for meths which they do not sell they would not think to offer you denatured alcohol as an alternative. I hope that helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some folks don't get it ...

Right, it seems you didn't get yet that this is a public forum where anyone can read the answers to any question and, therefore, the unsolicited info that may be unappreciated and/or useless for the person that opened a thread could be appreciated and/or useful for some readers. And it seems you didn't get yet that users can write whatever they want (as long as they don't break the forum rules) and not just what you want to read.

Their Camino consists of waking up in the morning, bustling around and waking others up, getting on the trail and hurrying to the next albergue, washing their clothes and getting a nice hot shower, sitting down to a nice Pilgrim's meal, jamming ear plugs into their heads so they do not hear the groans, squeaks and farts of the next person and sleeping to the rhythm of their own heartbeat. Repeat.

You didn't make the camino with them so you can't know how they make it. You might try to guess it from the posts but, IMHO, there isn't enough info on the posts as to make an educated guess (let alone to present it not as a guess but a bunch of facts) other than guessing that some of the forum users that replied don't carry a stove during their caminos. Therefore, any description about the way in which other forum users make the camino can only be either pure fiction or based just in stereotypes and your own prejudices towards those forum users.

As I have read on this forum many time, "It's Your Camino".

It should be obvious that your camino should respect local laws if you don't want to get into problems. However, it seems you aren't interested on that because @Tia Valeria made a post warning you that your plans might be illegal and you neither liked her post nor thanked her for it. Of course, it's up to you to research whether using the sort of stove you plan to use is legal wherever and whenever you plan to use it or if it isn't legal and you could face problems if you were caught using it but, due to the unsolicited advice you got on this thread, if you had any legal problem for using your stove, the only one to blame would be yourself (either for not researching it or for not researching it well enough).

Check out the chart I stuck in there. Different countries use different names and sell it under various names. I could only find it in paint stores in Mexico for example.
Happy cooking!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    277.7 KB · Views: 6
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An option would be to use barbecue lighter / lighting fuel. It can be found almost everywhere. It will be based on methanol or ethanol. What ever it based on it will burn. I have used it before without any problems. Try it before you go.
Lighter fluids and barbeque fluids are typically light petroleum distillates: not based on methanol or ethanol.

Petroleum fuels will certainly burn, but alcohol stoves aren't designed for them. Their use will result in alarmingly large yellow flames, and will cover both burner and pot with heavy black soot.

As homebuilt said, try it before you go. Personally, I cannot recommend.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back