A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Denise Memorial Tree: A place for your shells

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
The Denise Thiem Memorial Maple was planted and blessed today at Ecce Homo Park at Valdeviejas, along the camino just outside Astorga. It is part of a larger plan to memorialize with trees the pilgrims who die along the camino each year.
The tree is hung with several of the "Shells for Denise" carried by pilgrims to Santiago last year, and left at Pilgrim House. I've told the landscapers I want to circle the base of the tree with some of these shells, but I am not sure they understand that -- or if they want to! Meantime, there's a supply of pilgrim shells inside the Ecce Homo chapel adjacent.
You don't have to bring a shell from home. You can take one from Ecce Homo, a shell already dedicated to the purpose, and finish the section of Camino that Denise did not live to see. Add your name to the shell if you like, and leave it at Pilgrim House again, or throw it in the sea, or take it home with you. Or leave a shell at the memorial tree. It's a memorial made by and for pilgrims, in a park newly dedicated to pilgrims.
The bishop made a point of blessing the conchas, and those who carry them.
They are asked to pray not only for Denise and her family, but for the man accused of taking her life -- this IS Divine Mercy Sunday, after all. P1030993.JPG

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
Ah, wonderful, the trees are in the ground. Thank you, Rebekah, for doing all it took. his is very good news...I hope now the healing can begin in earnest for everyone there.
And for us all.
Down the road a ways, it will be good to have a shady place to quietly pause, remember, and reflect.

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
Hola Rebekah (and Paddy) thanks for the update. Hopefully this tree will grow and live for 100 or more years and pilgrims will know who Denise was. Maybe she can become a "Camino Saint"! or is this going a little over the top??? Anyway it will be a place for quiet reflection for all pilgrims on the Frances (especially after the noise and bustle of Leon and Astorga). :)

RENSHAW

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks every year on CF reaching Burgos or Leon. Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.
Nice Reb , thanx to you and all involved.:) Please remind me where the 'Methodist Pilgrim' Tree is - it would be great to see
an updated pic of it.

S

Satírico

Hola Rebekah (and Paddy) thanks for the update. Hopefully this tree will grow and live for 100 or more years and pilgrims will know who Denise was. Maybe she can become a "Camino Saint"! or is this going a little over the top??? Anyway it will be a place for quiet reflection for all pilgrims on the Frances (especially after the noise and bustle of Leon and Astorga). :)
Perhaps pilgrims will have a choice like on Blind Date. Who's aid do you want to invoke: St James, St Josemaria or St Denise?

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
If there was a way to screw this up, I probably did. This morning, coming out of Astorga, I was scrupulous about making sure I did not miss Ecce Homo Albergue.

Find it, I did, right where it was supposed to be...on the right, on Calle Ecce Homo, just before the overpass over the autovia.

I found the Albergue and "A tree." However, I could not tell if it was "THE tree."

There was red and white striped "crime scene" type plastic tape to prevent people from getting within a few meters of the evidently young tree. The Albergue was all locked up and the gate at the street was secured. Clearly "trespassers," including pilgrims, were being discouraged.

The ground around this tree appeared to be freshly worked soil, perhaps freshly seeded with grass.

There were no shells on the tree. There was no identifying sign.

Like I said, did I screw up? Was the memorial park across the main road, at the chapel? As I did know the two were even related, until like NOW, I may have missed the correct tree.

Anyway, I will carry the shell to Pilgrim House at Santiago, along with a pile of donativo gear I shipped ahead to my reserved lodgings there. Nate and Faith can sort it out.

What a day...

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
I have attached a photo Phil's tree from2014. I also took a snap in 2015 but it must have been on my cellphone. It was healthier and a bit larger last year but as we all know the environment where Reb and Paddy live is fairly harsh, in good sort of way;)!

Attachments

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
It figures! There are two sides to the road out of Astorga, and I chose WRONG! Who knew? If you tell me the site is near Ecce Homo Albergue, I am going to darn well go to Ecce Homo Albergue. Still and all, not the end of the world...that would be Finisterre...

So, to clarify my NEW understanding, Denise's Memorial Tree is on the LEFT side of the road leading FROM Astorga, opposite Calle Ecce Homo, adjacent to the chapel, ALSO ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD. If I recall correctly there is a large, factory-like structure with the name "Carpenteria ... (Name)" on the front of the tan colored building, immediately adjacent to the site...doh!

Now, with my new understanding,I cinfidently say that this site should be impossible to miss. You want to be on the LEFT side of the road from Astorga. If you use the overpass to go over the autovia, YOU WENT TOO FAR. Turn around and return to the area just before you hit the overpass.

As always, I hope this helps someone...

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for the photos of Phil's tree. As I had to skip the second half of the route from Segovia to Leon in April, I missed out on my plans to stop by to visit with Rebekah and Paddy this year. One of my purposes was to pay my respects at Phil's memorial.

I am glad to see that the plaque Rebekah and I cemented in place is still as installed. Gee, I learned how to lay cement...with Rebekah's very generous help! Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!

bsewall

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata & Camino Frances (2013 & 2016).
20160603_030055.jpg I just finished walking the VdlP and part of the Camino Frances. I carried a shell for Denise which I left at the Cruz de Ferro. I spent a morning at the Ermita de Ecce Homo and took a picture of Denise's Tree in the adjacent Park. There are no shells on the tree or distinguishing markings. The tree is in full leaf but showing a little strain and broken branches (typical for a sapling). Hopefully with time....

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
It figures! There are two sides to the road out of Astorga, and I chose WRONG! Who knew? If you tell me the site is near Ecce Homo Albergue, I am going to darn well go to Ecce Homo Albergue. Still and all, not the end of the world...that would be Finisterre...

So, to clarify my NEW understanding, Denise's Memorial Tree is on the LEFT side of the road leading FROM Astorga, opposite Calle Ecce Homo, adjacent to the chapel, ALSO ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD. If I recall correctly there is a large, factory-like structure with the name "Carpenteria ... (Name)" on the front of the tan colored building, immediately adjacent to the site...doh!

Now, with my new understanding,I cinfidently say that this site should be impossible to miss. You want to be on the LEFT side of the road from Astorga. If you use the overpass to go over the autovia, YOU WENT TOO FAR. Turn around and return to the area just before you hit the overpass.

As always, I hope this helps someone...
Problem is, Tom, no one told you to go to the albergue. They told you to go to the chapel/hermita/church, which is on the left.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Yeah, like I would follow clear directions...not. But it all worked out in the end.

zzotte

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Camino Frances, 2014 Lourdes to SDC, 2016 Camino del Norte
Wow! such a beautiful gesture Thanks to all who toke the initiative, carried thru and made it happen God Bless you

Zzotte

joanjf

The Denise Thiem Memorial Maple was planted and blessed today at Ecce Homo Park at Valdeviejas, along the camino just outside Astorga. It is part of a larger plan to memorialize with trees the pilgrims who die along the camino each year.
The tree is hung with several of the "Shells for Denise" carried by pilgrims to Santiago last year, and left at Pilgrim House. I've told the landscapers I want to circle the base of the tree with some of these shells, but I am not sure they understand that -- or if they want to! Meantime, there's a supply of pilgrim shells inside the Ecce Homo chapel adjacent.
You don't have to bring a shell from home. You can take one from Ecce Homo, a shell already dedicated to the purpose, and finish the section of Camino that Denise did not live to see. Add your name to the shell if you like, and leave it at Pilgrim House again, or throw it in the sea, or take it home with you. Or leave a shell at the memorial tree. It's a memorial made by and for pilgrims, in a park newly dedicated to pilgrims.
The bishop made a point of blessing the conchas, and those who carry them.
They are asked to pray not only for Denise and her family, but for the man accused of taking her life -- this IS Divine Mercy Sunday, after all. View attachment 24988
Hello Rebecca.

I too would like to have a tree planted in memory of my brother who died on the Camino in 2013 in Triacastella.
I have tried many times to contact you but I have obviously got the wrong address.
It would be so great to have this memorial for all those who have died on the Camino.
My. Son died too just before my brother and our hearts are broken.
Please help me to do this for my brother.
Tell me what you need from me.
My brother was a doctor who treated many pilgrims on their way whilst he was on the walk in 2013.
Thank you

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Hello Rebecca.

I too would like to have a tree planted in memory of my brother who died on the Camino in 2013 in Triacastella.
I have tried many times to contact you but I have obviously got the wrong address.
It would be so great to have this memorial for all those who have died on the Camino.
My brother was a doctor who treated many pilgrims on their way whilst he was on the walk in 2013.
Thank you
Joan, and whomever else would like to contact me (within reason): you can use the personal message feature on this forum, or email me direct at rebrites (at) yahoo . com .

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hello Rebecca.

Thank you
So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother and your son, Joan. It will be wonderful to visit a tree in remembrance of him as well. Take care and I look forward to hearing about the memorial when it's ready.
Faith

joanjf

Thank you all for the posts. I am so happy to have found this. I have messaged Rebekah and have had a reply.
We as a family are considering this memorial for our beloved Brother.
It will be there for eternity.
He sent those words to me when he placed the stones at Ferro de Cruz that he took from our home for Daniel my son.
I would also like to have some shells placed there too.
Thank you all for your kindness.
Sent with my Blessings and humble wishes
Joan

Ferenjinan

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy- Auvillar ( 2018 )
Lisbon- Santiago (2019)

St. Jean Pied a Port - Finisterre 2008
Dear Joan;
I hope you get a tree planted for your brother. Your letter was very poignant, partly because i am still(still!) vulnerable. I walked the Camino Frances 10 years ago when my sister was ill and clearly not long for this world. I prayed for an easy passing for her, and she had one. I also left stones in memory of my son whom I'd lost some years before.
In the autum I hope to walk again, in France, for my 70th birthday, and in hopes of world peace, and
with love for those we've 'lost'.
They walk by our sides.

joanjf

Thank you Ferenjinin for your message.
Time has gone and my mind has not concentrated on many things that should be done. The tree will get planted.
I am sorry to learn of your son how old was he?
You must understand how it is for a mother to lose her son thank you and your sister too. I my brother.
I want to walk to 100 kms to Santiago that my brother did not complete.
I am thinking of October 2019 God Willing.
I need to research it well as I am not able to stay in hostels I need a private room with bathroom. This is a must for me as I have many illnesses.
Keep well and Happy.
Sending you Easter Blessings

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%