A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Denise Thiem Memorial in Santiago

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi everyone,
In honor of the upcoming anniversary of Denise's passing on the Camino (April 5), we've set up a temporary memorial in Santiago de Compostela, here in Pilgrim House.

Arranged in a quiet room are some of the shells that pilgrims have carried on their Camino as well as some candles.

Please feel free to come by once you've arrived in Santiago and honor her memory.

Take care,
Faith

Pilgrim House
Rua Nova, 19
Santiago de Compostela

Last edited:

Missing Mike

Camino(s) past & future
May 2016
Hi everyone,
In honor of the upcoming anniversary of Denise's passing on the Camino (April 5), we've set up a temporary memorial in Santiago de Compostela, here in Pilgrim House.

Arranged in a quiet room are some of the shells that pilgrims have carried on their Camino as well as some candles.

Please feel free to come by once you've arrived in Santiago and honor her memory.

Take care,
Faith

Pilgrim House
Rua Nova, 19
Santiago de Compostela

I am sorry to ask, but who is Denise? Knowing more, I might also want to pay my respects. Otherwise, I can relate to your grief after losing my son 3 months ago and wish you only peace, love, tranquility and serenity.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi @Missing Mike, Denise was a pilgrim from the US who went missing last April near Astorga on the Camino. This is a good article summarizing what happened: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/breaking/2015/09/25/dna-confirms-body-found-spain-missing-arizona-woman/72816526/

And here's a thread inviting pilgrims to carry shells in memory of Denise: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-shell-for-denise.36512/

In February Denise's remains were finally released to her family and she's now home in Arizona.

We would love to meet you if you'd like to pay your respects here. Many blessings on you as you grieve Mike and prepare for the Camino. I can imagine that with losing him only three months ago you're still in survival mode. Take care of yourself and know that you have people thinking of you. Peace to you.
Faith

Missing Mike

Camino(s) past & future
May 2016
Hi @Missing Mike, Denise was a pilgrim from the US who went missing last April near Astorga on the Camino. This is a good article summarizing what happened: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/southwest-valley/breaking/2015/09/25/dna-confirms-body-found-spain-missing-arizona-woman/72816526/

And here's a thread inviting pilgrims to carry shells in memory of Denise: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-shell-for-denise.36512/

In February Denise's remains were finally released to her family and she's now home in Arizona.

We would love to meet you if you'd like to pay your respects here. Many blessings on you as you grieve Mike and prepare for the Camino. I can imagine that with losing him only three months ago you're still in survival mode. Take care of yourself and know that you have people thinking of you. Peace to you.
Faith
Thank you so much for sharing this information and my heart goes out to her family, friends and fellow pilgrims.
As I won't be in Santiago until around June 10th. I am not sure I would be in time for this. Please do a shell for me as I will do one for my son.

I truly understand the comments "would've should've could've" and "we wish we could have done something different in hindsight. But no one ever expects this to happen." Once again peace to all.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
I will come by on the 3rd or 4th to add another one to the collection. Looking forward to meeting you, Faith, though I wish there were a less somber reason...

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Have you considered how long you expect this to be there?

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Camino(s) past & future
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
What a lovely thought and idea, Faith.
I believe there are quite a few pilgrims who die while on camino.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a quiet place, such as yours or elsewhere, where all who failed to make their earthly pilgrimage, but completed their life pilgrimage, could be remembered?
I'm due in Santiago end of May: will the 'memory room' still be open?
Blessings from England....

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 & 2019), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
Hi Nate and Faith,

A lovely tribute. I will be back in Santiago around the 19th of June so will call in again to pay my respects.

While I was on the Camino last year in May and June we were all concerned about Denise as the news of her fate had not broken. Along the stretch between Astorga and Rabanal we all looked after each other, making sure no one walked alone.

Back in 2014 I took the quiet alternative route after Astorga through the beautiful Maragato village of Castrillo de los Polvazares. I will be doing the same again this year and leaving a shell there in memory of Denise.

Bless you both,
Mike

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid

Devon Mike

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Finisterre & Muxia (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 & 2019), Primitivo & Ingles (2017)
We leave in exactly one month (May 1). We'll be taking a leisurely stroll from Seville, doing some detours along the way and intend to be in Santiago at the end of June. What a pity we'll miss you DevonMike by a couple of weeks!
I am leaving SJPP on the 18th of May and aim to reach Santiago on the 19th June. I will then be walking the coast circuit to Muxia first, then Finisterre and finally walk back to Santiago. I need to finish in Santiago on the 28th June, so who knows we may meet up again!! :)

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I am leaving SJPP on the 18th of May and aim to reach Santiago on the 19th June. I will then be walking the coast circuit to Muxia first, then Finisterre and finally walk back to Santiago. I need to finish in Santiago on the 28th June, so who knows we may meet up again!! :)
You'll have to walk fast - we fly out of Santiago on Monday the 27th.
on the other hand, we 're tossing up (and will not decide until we get there) whether we take a leisurely stroll to Santiago or push some long days and make it out to Muxia afterwards. If we see you ahead of us, we'll pick some long grass and whistle as loudly as we can!

shefollowsshells

Camino(s) past & future
Several alone and with children
Rachael if you have not made it to Muxia yet I would suggest your long days to make it there. It is such a wonderful spot on Earth!

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Peter Fransiscus In Memoriam 53
Rebekah Scott In Memoriam 33
grayland In Memoriam 44

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%