• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Denise's mother's prayer

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have received a copy of Denise's mother's prayer that was read at the Cathedral service. Denise is at peace, and I pray for the same for her family.

Almighty and Gracious God,

I come to you on bended knees and with a broken heart. My spirit is weak, and I am distraught that such an evil person took my dear Denise’s life. I feel the forces of evil closing in on me and am exhausted with pain and bitterness. I am tormented that when my beloved daughter needed me most, I was not there to protect her.

I know you are a good and gracious God. I know the power and comfort of your word, but tonight I beg to feel your presence. As I loosen my arms from around my precious child and release her to your care, I beg you to hold her lovingly in your arms, to take her into your bosom and to welcome her as the angel she is.

Lord, help me to understand the power of your love to overcome the power of death and to know that our precious daughter is in your eternal care. I pray for your merciful understanding and that your Spirit may now grant our beloved Denise the same mercy and grace in Heaven that sustained and encouraged her on Earth.

O God, help me to always remember the great joys that Denise brought to the life of our family and in these sad moments remember her grace, the elegance of her spirit, her goodness and the depth of her love for us. I pray that my dear daughter, Denise, will forgive me for not being there to protect her as I did when she was as a child and youth.

Amen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beautiful, and heart wrenching.

"To hold her lovingly in your arms".
It's beautiful and so heart wrenching!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It took a moment for me to have the courage to click on this thread and read what I imagined would be prayer expressing much grief and pain.

'. . .take her into your bosom and welcome her . . .'

So sad,beautiful and loving.I have tears running down my cheeks as I read.Thank you for posting this.May Denise Rest in peace.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peregrina 2000, thank you for sharring this. Very powerful prayer - It is not hard to imagine how "this mother's prayer" spoke to the hearts of all Camino pilgrims.

beautiful and very touching...prayers for all of Denise's family. I begin my Camino on Tuesday (!) and will certainly keep them in my prayers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I pray for Denise, family and friends. May she rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful. My prayers with her; indeed, only God can give the peace to this woman that her daughter'so murderer took away.

Laurie,
Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful words prayed by Denise's mother . We could all learn so much from them. She turns to God in her time of anguish and prays "tonight I beg to feel your presence."
Let us all continue to pray for her and Denise and all her family that they will truly have of a deep sense of God enfolding them with his loving presence.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The grief of a parent is the hardest of all to bear. I pray to God for this family's comfort.

This prayer is beautiful. It is gracious, heartfelt, and heart wrenching to the nth degree. I will continue to pray for Denise's beloved family.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Although Denise may be held in God's arms, we will forever hold her in our hearts. Be at peace, friend, and know you are not forgotten. May Denise's family's grief ease over time, and may happy memories comfort them in the days to come.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thankyou for sharing these words - I took some moments before I could bring myself to click onto your post. Such pain and such anguish expressed by Denise's Mum - as a Mum myself, I felt every single nuance of her pain. May Denise be 'Flying Free' and may her family eventually be able to find peace.

Thank you for sharing Peregrina2000.. Very touching words. Rest in peace beautiful Denise...

As a mum of 4 girls myself I cried reading this heartfelt prayer . Denise's Mums graciousness shines through her grief . May God bless her and her family in this time of sorrow.

A beautiful prayer. When I watched the mass in the Cathedral, I once again wished there was sound along with the video. There were a lot of participants

Falcon,
I didn't realize there was no sound during the video feed. I can share a bit of the proceedings. The mass was beautiful, as you probably saw in the video. The Cathedral provided bouquets of flowers and candles, and even asked all visitors to leave the Cathedral if they weren't attending mass - so the Cathedral was the quietest I've ever seen. Father Joe (if you've attended English Mass this year you will have seen and/or met him) started out the service with a brief introduction and welcome, and there were hymns, beautifully sung by a sister as always.

Four American pilgrims had been asked to read Scripture passages in English, and Aleida Howard (from the Phoenix APOC chapter) read them in Spanish after each reading. All of the Scriptures focused on Jesus's resurrection. After each pilgrim read, the canon had me light a candle in memory of Denise.

The canon of the Cathedral, Daniel Lorenzo, then gave a poignant homily acknowledging the awful circumstances surrounding Denise's death and also focusing on one main Scripture verse, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he is risen!" - and saying that as Jesus had risen from the dead, Denise was there now with him, that death was not the final answer.

After communion I read the prayer from Denise's mom, and then the canon presented gifts for the family - a medallion from the last Holy Year, a memorial candle, and a framed pilgrim's memorial certificate for Denise. They had prepared everything so beautifully, and overall it was a moving service that hopefully gave comfort and hope to all of us who care for Denise and her loving family.

Take care,
Faith

Last edited:
Thank you Faith. So glad they asked those attending the service to leave to maintain decorum for the circumstances.

Thank you, Laurie/peregrina2000, for posting the words and heartwrenching prayer of Denise's mother. How can one not feel her loss after reading such poignant words. Her complete and utter despair is palatable.
And thank you, Faith, for posting a recount of the service for those of us not able to attend. It sounds like it was quite beautiful and a lovely tribute to Denise.

Thank you for sharing this. I thought about the loss to Denise's family, and to the family of all peregrinas and peregrinos, as I walked yesterday from Astorga to El Ganso. I sang softly, "Amazing Grace," and "may the long time sunshine, all love, surround you. May the pure light within you guide your way home."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, Laurie and Faith, for sharing the beautiful prayer of Denise's mother and the special moments of the mass. Simply no words for this tragedy. Yet despite all that has happened goodness and grace shine through. Rest in peace, Denise. And may peace be with your family and friends.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for sharing this prayer. As a mother of a 22 year old daughter who has come out of troubled teen years I can so much imagine the pain and anger and distress that comes with such a cruel and unnecessary loss. It is hard to remember that the perpetrator was once someone's little boy too. What has gone wrong in his life to commit such a terrible crime...

I have received a copy of Denise's mother's prayer that was read at the Cathedral service. Denise is at peace, and I pray for the same for her family.

I come to you on bended knees and with a broken heart. My spirit is weak, and I am distraught that such an evil person took my dear Denise’s life. I feel the forces of evil closing in on me and am exhausted with pain and bitterness. I am tormented that when my beloved daughter needed me most, I was not there to protect her.

I know you are a good and gracious God. I know the power and comfort of your word, but tonight I beg to feel your presence. As I loosen my arms from around my precious child and release her to your care, I beg you to hold her lovingly in your arms, to take her into your bosom and to welcome her as the angel she is.

Lord, help me to understand the power of your love to overcome the power of death and to know that our precious daughter is in your eternal care. I pray for your merciful understanding and that your Spirit may now grant our beloved Denise the same mercy and grace in Heaven that sustained and encouraged her on Earth.

O God, help me to always remember the great joys that Denise brought to the life of our family and in these sad moments remember her grace, the elegance of her spirit, her goodness and the depth of her love for us. I pray that my dear daughter, Denise, will forgive me for not being there to protect her as I did when she was as a child and youth.

Amen

As a mother who also lost a daughter, albeit to cancer, I can feel the heartache & pain Denise's mother feels right now. I pray that God give her and her family strength, comfort and peace.

Amen
So sad.........God Bless all her family and may Denise be at peace.......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.