• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deodorant Preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
I wanted to ask you if you have a favorite deodorant/antiperspirant that works well for you when you're walking long distances and want to carry minimal weight in your pack. I have traveled with mini size toiletries, for years including the regular well-known brands of antiperspirants you find in just about any store. My husband swears by baking soda, but I think that's pretty messy when traveling.

After years of use I developed an allergy to antiperspirants and my doctor recommended I try a crystal deodorant stick made with natural minerals and no aluminum chlorohydrate aluminum zirconium parabens. This was something new to me and began using it this past summer and found that while it does not stop you from sweating, it definitely controls body odor. Just now I purchased a mini size one (1.5 oz (42.5 gr.) for my upcoming Camino. Has anyone tried this? Do you have any favorite brand recommendations? I really would like to hear what you have to say. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wanted to ask you if you have a favorite deodorant/antiperspirant that works well for you when you're walking long distances and want to carry minimal weight in your pack. I have traveled with mini size toiletries, for years including the regular well-known brands of antiperspirants you find in just about any store. My husband swears by baking soda, but I think that's pretty messy when traveling.

After years of use I developed an allergy to antiperspirants and my doctor recommended I try a crystal deodorant stick made with natural minerals and no aluminum chlorohydrate aluminum zirconium parabens. This was something new to me and began using it this past summer and found that while it does not stop you from sweating, it definitely controls body odor. Just now I purchased a mini size one (1.5 oz (42.5 gr.) for my upcoming Camino. Has anyone tried this? Do you have any favorite brand recommendations? I really would like to hear what you have to say. Thank you!
Yes, I use that stick. It is easily found in farmacias in Spain. For a year or so I had a natural piece of that substance, I got it in Morocco. Whichever brand is available, that is what I buy. It lasts a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I've been using these for over 20 years, and once I started i would never go back to the over-perfumed, messy, fabric- staining alternatives. Crystal deodorants are effective and the sticks last for months. Never had a problem with them, and have taken the mini ones on my three Caminos (so far). Definitely a fan. I don't have a favorite brand, if they are just the plain solid crystal they are all pretty much the same I think and equally effective.

P.S. For anyone wondering, they aren't really a "crystal" as such - this is not some new age woo-woo thing! They are made from mineral salts packed together.

I have used the crystal deodorants for years, at home and travelling. I buy the smallest ones, about 50 g incl the plastic holder, and use them at home until they are about half the size, then put them to one side for travel. They do last a very long time and are definitely working! If you are new to them, the idea is that you wet the stick or your clean skin, ideally after your shower, and run the stick over it. Unlike normal cream deos it won't work if you rub it on dry skin, it needs some water to dissolve. There will be no visible trace, no scent, and it won't stain your clothes. It works great for armpits, but also feet and under the bust etc to eliminate sweat odours. Absolutely recommend it!
Top tip if you are flying with hand luggage only, put the crystal deo somewhere within easy reach; I have been pulled to the side and asked to dig it out a few times - something to do with how it presents in the X-ray at security. To save time and hassle, put it in your handbag or lid pocket.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
and found that while it does not stop you from sweating, it
why would you try to stop a naturally body function? Also sweating is necessary to regulate your body temperature and just a normal thing, we are no dogs and open the mouth to cool down....
I take after walking a nice shower and put afterwards a ecological deodorant on my armpits. Never received any complaints from companions :)

what I know is that a deodorant is meant to stop you from smelling not from sweating.

why would you try to stop a naturally body function? Also sweating is necessary to regulate your body temperature and just a normal thing, we are no dogs and open the mouth to cool down....
I take after walking a nice shower and put afterwards a ecological deodorant on my armpits. Never received any complaints from companions :)

what I know is that a deodorant is meant to stop you from smelling not from sweating.

Exactly! A simple shower does wonders!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One bonus effect of the crystal deo is that your tech clothes don't get quite so ... ripe after a long, hot walk as well. Some tech materials do have a tendency to get very smelly no matter how much you wash them, so stopping the odour at the source is a good thing!

I try to take a full stick of my regular Degree Motionsense deodorant. My husband takes a full stick of Right guard 72 hr Sport. In variably he runs out first (bigger armpits or something) and then wants to use mine and then we both run out and have to buy the Spanish roll on deodorant that we neither one like. Yuck--hate that wet pit feeling. Usually no time to let it dry properly and then it is on my clothes. If we are in a bigger city I have found some stick deodorants at El Corte Engles, but never see them in other Spanish shops or pharmacias. I love Spain, but not their deodorant choices.

My advice is don’t even bother, I tossed my trial-sized one after a week. It wasn’t helping and was just more weight in the pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We use alum to make some kinds of pickles, but it is also apparently the mineral deodorant stick discussed here and it does contain a form of aluminum.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I've learned something new here today. I'll give the salt crystal deodorant a try.
Alum? Isn't that an abbreviation for aluminum?🤔 I thought quite a few people don't like that ingredient in deodorants.
For a explanation of what it is and its uses.
A 50g block lasts 5-6 months of daily use and costs €2 to €15 depending on packaging, initial smoothness of the stone and brand.

Aluminum in anti-perspirants... a red-herring from the 1980s about Alzheimer's... 4 decades on, the myth persists, but there is no evidence that aluminum in any form is causative for Alzheimer's.

Many people like rock crystals, and there are many brands/versions -- all it is is compressed salt and binders to hold it together. However, some people -- everyone in my family, it turns out -- can develop skin reactions and end up with pretty nasty rashes. Maybe the salt is just too hard on the skin... maybe it's the long list of binders.

I can't cope with scented things. I use *unscented* "invisible" stick Degree brand.

A crystal deodorant stick is fine, but a good shower does a good job. It is really important if you use deodorant and sleep in a albergue that it has no odor. Ten pleasant scents combined in the evenings in a shared bedroom can really ruin a night

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

i’ve used Tom’s of Maine for years.Unscented. For reasons you stated. One stick lasted 26 days on Norte/Primiyivo

One bonus effect of the crystal deo is that your tech clothes don't get quite so ... ripe after a long, hot walk as well. Some tech materials do have a tendency to get very smelly no matter how much you wash them, so stopping the odour at the source is a good thing!
So true, and that is the exact reason I switched to wool everything! Well, most everything, just my tops and undergarments are wool and I would never ever consider going back to synthetic:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My advice is don’t even bother, I tossed my trial-sized one after a week. It wasn’t helping and was just more weight in the pack.
I don't think so:) Body odor is offensive to others and if I can control that by using a deodorant - regardless of weight, I will use it! Sweat? I don't mind, but the pungency of BO? Yes, without a doubt! Definitely not leaving mine behind or tossing it away.

I've learned something new here today. I'll give the salt crystal deodorant a try.
Alum? Isn't that an abbreviation for aluminum?🤔 I thought quite a few people don't like that ingredient in deodorants.
Alum is an astringent compound that is a hydrated double sulfate of aluminum and potassium:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A crystal deodorant stick is fine, but a good shower does a good job. It is really important if you use deodorant and sleep in a albergue that it has no odor. Ten pleasant scents combined in the evenings in a shared bedroom can really ruin a night
Definitely! Unscented is the best way to go!!

No offense intended, but I am REALLY looking forward to the responses to this question posted on a European hiking website!!! 😂
So I have a lot of skin sensitivity issues especially with deodorant sticks. The beeswax is a huge problem. Disclaimer: this is liquid natural home recipe. Too heavy for some. But 3oz lasts me 2+ months. Theory is to kill the germs that cause the stink. And allow you to sweat. Which is healthy. 1/4c 80-150 proof vodka and 2tsp distilled vinegar. I add a few drops of lavender essential oil but any or none works. I use 150 proof. 1-2 fine spritz. Note: if you try this after using stick it will take a few days for your pits to detox

Hello live from the Camino del Norte!
I usually use a Nivea roll-on, but this is certainly a no go for a Camino as it comes in a very heavy glass vessel!
For this Camino I decided to try a solid stick deodorant from ‘Lush’, I can say that it smells very nice and I do not seem to be perspiring! 😂
Buen Camino 😄👣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Combine a crystal stick with merino wool t-shirt (or shirt) is an unbeatable anti-stink combo (along with the shower before application and donning, of course). I tried a crystal stick before my first camino (I'm one of those that is chemically sensitive) and found it worked wonderfully.

As to why not to stink, not everyone enjoys another's body odor - something to be considerate about.

Hello live from the Camino del Norte!
I usually use a Nivea roll-on, but this is certainly a no go for a Camino as it comes in a very heavy glass vessel!
For this Camino I decided to try a solid stick deodorant from ‘Lush’, I can say that it smells very nice and I do not seem to be perspiring! 😂
Buen Camino 😄👣
Thank you! CDN is one of my very favorite caminos!! Buen Camino to you!

Combine a crystal stick with merino wool t-shirt (or shirt) is an unbeatable anti-stink combo (along with the shower before application and donning, of course). I tried a crystal stick before my first camino (I'm one of those that is chemically sensitive) and found it worked wonderfully.

As to why not to stink, not everyone enjoys another's body odor - something to be considerate about.
I couldn't agree with you more! Wool is the way to go 🙇‍♀️! And conscientiously ensuring to be odorless is being considerate of everyone you come in contact with; the right thing to do!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So I have a lot of skin sensitivity issues especially with deodorant sticks. The beeswax is a huge problem. Disclaimer: this is liquid natural home recipe. Too heavy for some. But 3oz lasts me 2+ months. Theory is to kill the germs that cause the stink. And allow you to sweat. Which is healthy. 1/4c 80-150 proof vodka and 2tsp distilled vinegar. I add a few drops of lavender essential oil but any or none works. I use 150 proof. 1-2 fine spritz. Note: if you try this after using stick it will take a few days for your pits to detox
Interesting! I've never hear of that. I know that vinegar is versatile, and well, the vodka is just a plus ;), but wouldn't it be the same to simply use rubbing alcohol? Or does the vodka have certain characteristics that other types of alcohol don't?

Exactly! A simple shower does wonders!
We do not bring deoderant! First, we wash our under garments and we use light short sleeve baselayers that wick perspiration away which are washed daily. We shower daily! We eat mostly outside with a couple of layers of clothing, and now distancing more than prepandemic, We stay in private accommodations…and will continue to wear masks indoors at hotel desks, or in a crowd inside. So I see no need for a deoderant??

Ah, don't bother. Just take a nice bath at Lavacolla like the pilgrims of yore used to do, and then in Santiago try to get as close to the botafumeiro smoke as you can. Stick to tradition, pilgrim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Take a shower every dat!

ExOfficio antimicrobial under shirt & underwear prevents odors from building and also lets your body breathe.

I wear it all the time fly fishing (Spey) on the rivers underneath waders and never have to use deodorant.

Plus for travel, they are super light, easy to wash and dries super fast.

Interesting! I've never hear of that. I know that vinegar is versatile, and well, the vodka is just a plus ;), but wouldn't it be the same to simply use rubbing alcohol? Or does the vodka have certain characteristics that other types of alcohol don't?
No rubbing alcohol. Need the ethanol that’s in vodka. My husband says it’s a waste of good vodka. But 1/4c lasts a crazy long time. The crystal salts made my pits raw. Almost like a burn. Might not work for everyone. But everyone I’ve shared this with made the switch after one spinning class, or 10-mile hike.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take a shower every dat!
Definitely!!!! Body odor from your armpits is inevitable as soon as you begin sweating, that is the reason why deodorant is a must!!! Unless you don't mind people keeping their distance from you because you smell?

Last edited:
Goes without saying and why wouldn't I? Body odor from your armpits is inevitable as soon as you begin sweating, that is the reason why deodorant is a must!!! Unless you don't mind people keeping their distance from you because you smell?

I really do not want to be pedantic but a deodorant is not a " must " on Camino IMO.
Yes, it can be handy, that is true.

Yes sometimes we might meet pilgrims who smell less nice. But when staying in albergues we will also most likely meet pilgrims who snore or suffer from some flatulence.

A Camino is like Life itself. The good , the bad & the ugly.

Last edited:
Ok. I wasn't expecting a debate about whether or not to use deodorant, being smelly or not, etc. when I posed the question. I prefer to not smell and do my best to prevent that, that's a choice I make. Others prefer to not use deodorant, that is their choice; I was simply asking everyone about their preferred deodorants and that was all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I take my deodorant out of the plastic container and put the deodorant in a zip lock. Every gram counts. I can’t speak to your allergy but it looks like you have found something. I’d say use it on a long practice hike and see how it is for you.

Last edited:
Ok. I wasn't expecting a debate about whether or not to use deodorant, being smelly or not, etc. when I posed the question. I prefer to not smell and do my best to prevent that, that's a choice I make. Others prefer to not use deodorant, that is their choice; I was simply asking everyone about their preferred deodorants and that was all.
My preference is Toms of Maine non scent deodorant. I sometimes, through inattention, buy anti perspirant which is a mistake for me. I find the going very hot and would rather perspire than get heat exhaustion.

My preference is Toms of Maine non scent deodorant. I sometimes, through inattention, buy anti perspirant which is a mistake for me. I find the going very hot and would rather perspire than get heat exhaustion.
I agree with you in preferring to perspire rather than clogging my armpit pores with chemicals. Overheating leads to tiredness and becoming sluggish, not ideal for long distance walking.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
We do not bring deoderant! First, we wash our under garments and we use light short sleeve baselayers that wick perspiration away which are washed daily. We shower daily! We eat mostly outside with a couple of layers of clothing, and now distancing more than prepandemic, We stay in private accommodations…and will continue to wear masks indoors at hotel desks, or in a crowd inside. So I see no need for a deoderant??

Oh to be among the lucky genetic minority that does not need de-odourant or anti-perspirant.

Ah, don't bother. Just take a nice bath at Lavacolla like the pilgrims of yore used to do, and then in Santiago try to get as close to the botafumeiro smoke as you can. Stick to tradition, pilgrim.
I do bother:) Body odor is offensive to others and if I can control that by using a deodorant - regardless of weight, I will use it! Sweat? I don't mind, but the pungency of BO? Yes, without a doubt!

Tradition, you say? Like the medieval era pilgrims? In these modern times? We certainly walk the same Camino routes, but we're a far cry from what they endured. We ensure we have the right gear, the right clothes, the right weight, we budget for our meals and know where we might spend the night. I'd say tradition on the Camino is alive because we continue finding kindness, generosity, friendliness and encouragement along the way:)

Ultreïa!

If you are washing your body and your clothes everyday. If you are eating a sensible diet and have avoided contracting several endemic though very rare diseases then deodorants are a superfluous cosmetic. If you are living in the same clothes everyday with no opportunity to wash yourself or your clothes then deodorants are a superfluous cosmetic.

Anyone whose lifestyle slips somewhere between those two extremes might want to consider using a deodorant but might want to consider a lifestyle adjustment instead 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve used salt crystal deodorant since the 90s and it is generally very effective. Only if I’m stressed out does it not quite do the job.
Another option is Primal Pit Paste which could easily be transferred to a small container and is a very effective deodorant with scents that don’t overwhelm (I’ve used it and gone to professional wine tastings with no issues and those folks are rightly very picky).

I’ve used salt crystal deodorant since the 90s and it is generally very effective. Only if I’m stressed out does it not quite do the job.
Another option is Primal Pit Paste which could easily be transferred to a small container and is a very effective deodorant with scents that don’t overwhelm (I’ve used it and gone to professional wine tastings with no issues and those folks are rightly very picky).
Never heard of Primal Pit Paste. I'll keep that in mind for future use:) Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh to be among the lucky genetic minority that does not need de-odourant or anti-perspirant.

As the article says, most Koreans don't have the gene necessary to create underarm odor. I remember when my son was teaching English in South Korea he had a hard time finding deodorant in the stores there.

I am very sensitive to many ingredients and did not do well with the crystal kind. I have been making my own deodorant for years now, a mix of coconut oil, baking soda, and a very small amount of arrowroot. Adding in a very few drops of lavender or other essential oil ( I've used tea tree oil) is optional. A small amount lasts a long time!

I have no problems with this -- I don't break out in rashes and it controls odor, which can be a problem if I go deodorant free.

I store it in a plastic container that I got at REI that does not leak and weighs next to nothing. On the camino, I only need a small amount to get me through.

Sometimes no matter what you say—judgment will follow

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have been using the Crystal deodorant for about 15 years. Works great. Hubby uses one too, and I can attest that it manages even "man-sweat."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't think so:) Body odor is offensive to others and if I can control that by using a deodorant - regardless of weight, I will use it! Sweat? I don't mind, but the pungency of BO? Yes, without a doubt! Definitely not leaving mine behind or tossing it away.
I knew I’d get naysayed but not carrying it *is* an option. Hottest summers on record rendered deodorant completely useless. If needed you can do a quick refresh in a bathroom. Many people can’t tolerate scents or chemicals, or even essential oils which are highly concentrated and not without their own risks.

My profession does not permit me to have any type of scent on my person or work clothing and my hygiene must ( is required to be) be at its highest as I’m in close contact with people.

Last edited:
I knew I’d get naysayed but not carrying it *is* an option. Hottest summers on record rendered deodorant completely useless. If needed you can do a quick refresh in a bathroom. Many people can’t tolerate scents or chemicals, or even essential oils which are highly concentrated and not without their own risks.

My profession does not permit me to have any type of scent on my person or work clothing and my hygiene must be at its highest as I’m in close contact with people.

Perhaps we can be clear.... not everything used is "deodorant". Often, as in my case, it's unscented antiperspirant.

Many women say "deodorant" because we've been conditioned not to admit that women sweat.
But there is *nothing* wrong with carrying an anti-sweat stick that is unscented. Most of us here are adults and are aware of what we smell like without such aids in situations of relentless heat and exertion.

I sweat very little, but the fact is that it stinks.

We have tools to deal with camino level stink without causing offence or aggravation to those who cannot tolerate scents.

Last edited by a moderator:

My profession does not permit me to have any type of scent on my person or work clothing and my hygiene must be at its highest as I’m in close contact with people.

That is the very reason for the crystal alum deodorant made with natural minerals and no aluminum chlorohydrate aluminum zirconium parabens. - with the choice of scented or, as you mention and I too prefer, unscented as well.

Your body perspires normally, you simply don't stink, that's what it is for. My hygiene must be at its highest too, because that is what I like, at all times:)

Last edited:
It seems our undersrms are as different as our feet. Both deodorant and antiperspirant work well for me in hot weather as long as I don't extend its use beyond one day.

Not sure what you mean about not extending use? What happens? This is merely curiosity as I've never heard of this so I'm not sure I'm understanding...

(...and I come from an era when our "health class" teacher would test us on our ability to choose the most effective levels of aluminum in a brand, and then the optimal amount of time for it to work. I forget the percentage of aluminum we were supposed to seek to get that A in "being a lady", but I do recall that it was to take 2-3 days to come into effectiveness. I can remember the multiple-choice question about when to apply anti-perspirant in order to be inoffensive at school on Monday.... )

Not sure what you mean about not extending use? What happens? This is merely curiosity as I've never heard of this so I'm not sure I'm understanding...
I mean leaving the deodorant or antiperspirant on your underarms past the 12 or 24 hour period listed on the container.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just happened to be looking at deodorants yesterday, and many tout 48 hr effectiveness.
View attachment 119944
I know and I sometimes have used those longer lasting choices, which have been available "over the counter" for a number of years now. They used to be "prescription only", and normally cost about 3x's as much as the regular varieties.

Reactions: BJP

I love your approach and do the same. A quick refresh is such an easy solution.

If there were ever a topic that elicited more divergent opinions based on individual preference and experience, this ranks right up there with "water bottle vs. hydration bladder" and whether to use walking sticks or not :)

So as helpful (or not) as many of these suggestions might be, there really is no universal solution. Some people just don't smell bad, and some people think they don't smell bad. Some find the crystal deodorant crystals to be effective, others (like me) don't. Some might find a shower or freshening up en route to be sufficient, while others prefer using a deodorant or antiperspirant despite anecdotal reports regarding their efficacy to the contrary.

I think the best solution is to use whatever one uses (or doesn't) as part of one's daily routine when not walking. Travel size deodorants and antiperspirants weigh very little and can be easily replenished along the way. Small deodorant crystals are also easy to carry and economical but like shoes should be thoroughly trail tested before packing. And if not using anything at all works for you, great! But no need to castigate anyone for having different needs or preferences as you, no matter which side of the debate you're on ✌️

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A shower is enough to keep you from stinking.
Antipirspirants may actually make you smell worse, by screwing up your armpit microbiome.

It just isn’t true for everyone that a shower is enough. I am not among the fortunate. And while my Spouse has long said that he likes how I smell, it is also more information than I want the rest of a room to have about me.
Honestly… this thread is making me feel like a freak because of the universalist assertions about how humans just don‘t smell. We do… amd some of us would prefer to keep intimate details to ourselves if we can. Wanting to avoid that should not be pushing me into a state of tears because apparently all the rest of you just don’t smell.
And anyone who remembers middle school *before* we started using something more than a daily shower knows that a grade 7 classroom after gym class smells like a barn.

I really do not want to be pedantic but a deodorant is not a " must " on Camino IMO.
Yes, it can be handy, that is true.

Yes sometimes we might meet pilgrims who smell less nice. But when staying in albergues we will also most likely meet pilgrims who snore or suffer from some flatulence.

A Camino is like Life itself. The good , the bad & the ugly.
You should also do something if you snore bad. As I grew older I started to snore more and more. My wife went crazy at night. I now have a mouthpeace from the dental clinic witch stop you from snoring... I don't want to be 'that guy' in the dorm. I think it's pretty rude if you know you snore and still sleep in dorms/shared spaces and don't care about it.

You should also do something if you snore bad. As I grew older I started to snore more and more. My wife went crazy at night. I now have a mouthpeace from the dental clinic witch stop you from snoring... I don't want to be 'that guy' in the dorm. I think it's pretty rude if you know you snore and still sleep in dorms/shared spaces and don't care about it.

Of course if there are medical reasons why someone snores they should address it with their doctor. That speaks for itself.

And then there are people who just snore from time to time. Earplugs can help.
And people who fart from time to time.
And people who sweat from time to time.

If you choose to sleep in albergues you will need to adapt. If someone can't stand noise , smell or other " input " then it is better to choose private accomodation.

I do not think I can make myself any clearer here. So that will be my last post here regarding this rather trivial subject, especially in terms with what is going on in the world.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
because of the universalist assertions about how humans just don‘t smell.
No one said we humans don't smell.
Of course we do.
So do pine trees and puppies, roses and cows.
Perception of pleasant or unpleasant is created in the brain, not the object. Durian is either a delight or nausiating - and which it is depends only on the brain of the perceiver, not the durian. Same with BO.

Some cultures are generally more prudish and squeamish about body functions than others, and there is no objective standard of what's disgusting in terms of BO.

To me if one's hygene is adequate (important if) the smell of a human being is far less offensive than a room full of strongly and artificially scented deoderants duking it out. But that happens too, sometimes. Oh well. If that's all we are distressed about we can count ourselves very lucky.

Last edited:
Aluminum in anti-perspirants... a red-herring from the 1980s about Alzheimer's... 4 decades on, the myth persists, but there is no evidence that aluminum in any form is causative for Alzheimer's.
I agree that the aluminum connection to Alzheimer's (mainly related to the use of aluminum cookware) has been debunked.

For deodorants, there is still the issue that aluminum in deodorants can interfere with mammogram results, so women are advised not to use such deodorants before a mammogram. There is no suggestion that they are harmful to the person - just that they are detected in the scans and interfere with the readings.

No one said we humans don't smell.
Of course we do.
So do pine trees and puppies, roses and cows.
Perception of pleasant or unpleasant is created in the brain, not the object. Durian is either a delight or nausiating - and which it is depends only on the brain of the perceiver, not the durian. Same with BO.

Some cultures are generally more prudish and squeamish about body functions than others, and there is no objective standard of what's disgusting in terms of BO.

To me if one's hygene is adequate (important if) the smell of a human being is far less offensive than a room full of strongly and artificially scented deoderants duking it out. But that happens too, sometimes. Oh well. If that's all we are distressed about we can count ourselves very lucky.
For heaven's sake.
OP asked what to take, what people who use the stuff like to use. Instead the thread has become along chastisement for using anything.
Some of us do not want to advertise the intimate details of our biology. Why pass judgement on that? We can advise: please don't use scented products, but here are some things that are light-weight, effective. Buen Camino.
I don't use scented products. I also aim not to be the "scented product" in a room. Why chastise people for that?
Seriously.
This thread is toxic.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most deodorants in the US also have an antiperspirant in them as well. While I don't attempt to stop full body sweating (if your whole body is sweating, it probably need to do just that) - but I hate having wet armpit stains when I am just going about normal daily activities! So yes, I myself prefer a deodorant with an antiperspirant in it as well.

I had to go aluminum free due to radiation treatment and No Pong was recommended. Comes in a great little travel tin and works a treat. It is an Australian brand but they have a website. No Pong

I had to go aluminum free due to radiation treatment and No Pong was recommended. Comes in a great little travel tin and works a treat. It is an Australian brand but they have a website. No Pong
Spouse uses that. He likes it. It even has the ability to deal with "anxiety" chemicals that come when doing public presentations, lectures, etc. That's an indication of high level effectiveness.

If needed you can do a quick refresh in a bathroom. Many people can’t tolerate scents or chemicals, or even essential oils which are highly concentrated and not without their own risks.
I do not think I can make myself any clearer here. So that will be my last post here regarding this rather trivial subject, especially in terms with what is going on in the world.

Thank you! Agreed. 100%

I used crystals 30 years ago as my first deodorant. But they basically consist fem Aluminiums crystals. This is were you can see how useless the term „natural Ingres“ is… ;) So no, they are not Aluminium free. If you want something light and effective for days try Nuud!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.