• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deodorant

jeploss

Okay, folks: Am I going to be able to stand myself? No one ever has deodorant on their packing lists.
And because I'm so conscious of keeping my pack less than 17 lbs (7.73 kilos) I haven't included deodorant. What do others think about body odor? My hiking mentor says she washes with Dial soap every other day, and that does the trick. What does the Forum community think?

Janet

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Janet, You know your body - do you think you need it? Some people don't but some people most certainly do. Really bad body odor makes me want to puke. I always use a crystal - doesn't weigh much at all and does the job.
Jacki.

One of my favorite frases used when meeting a fellow-pilgrim:
"Hi, nice smelling you again" :mrgreen:

I used a heavy-duty 5 days working deodorant, but it didn't get the job done.
I saw other pilgrims smelling their own odour and apparently thinking: "Wow, is that me?!" :oops:

Problem appears to me:
your jacket (I wouldn't dare washing it, in fear it'll still be wet the next day)
Sleeping bag (same with that one, no washing for six weeks)
Shoulder straps on your back-pack

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
To be honest I think all pilgrims just smell... certainly after the first few days. Just be pleased you're not medieval - all the way in one set of clothes and no washing til lavacolla! :wink:

I always take deodorant, it doesn't weigh that much, and also managed small quantities of face cream and body lotion.

A lot of packing lists include 'toiletries' as one item but, because we all take diffrent thing, these are not always itemised, but deodorant would certainly be included. Most pilgrims I've seen on the Camino really do use deodorant, albergues would be just horrible if they didn't. So, please take some with you!

Trudy

I took a travel size deoderant and replaced with a new one around the end of week three. Others will appreciate its use. It will keep your clothing and pack a little less funky too. Frankly I did not run into too many folks who smelled so I think deoderant use is fairly normal. There is also a "rock" from health food stores that some used.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Janet,
I was considering taking one of those crystal sticks but then reckoned that, as my deodorant would be the closest thing to perfume my packing would allow, I'd take a scented spray (but be careful not to pollute the whole room with or other common areas with it). Having walked from SJPP wearing sweaty rain gear for most of the time we were more than a little scruffy by the time we got to Leon, and though not dirty we were never really squeaky clean from end of week one.
No matter what we did there was always a slight whiff of 'L'eau de Pelerin' about us and our gear :? On the plus side ones nose does becomes de-sensitised to all but the strongest of odours. By the way though overt 'pit sniffing' is acceptable en route just remember to dial it down once you get home as it may not be received with such grace :oops: .
Nell

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back