• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deodorant

jeploss

Okay, folks: Am I going to be able to stand myself? No one ever has deodorant on their packing lists.
And because I'm so conscious of keeping my pack less than 17 lbs (7.73 kilos) I haven't included deodorant. What do others think about body odor? My hiking mentor says she washes with Dial soap every other day, and that does the trick. What does the Forum community think?

Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Janet, You know your body - do you think you need it? Some people don't but some people most certainly do. Really bad body odor makes me want to puke. I always use a crystal - doesn't weigh much at all and does the job.
Jacki.

One of my favorite frases used when meeting a fellow-pilgrim:
"Hi, nice smelling you again" :mrgreen:

I used a heavy-duty 5 days working deodorant, but it didn't get the job done.
I saw other pilgrims smelling their own odour and apparently thinking: "Wow, is that me?!" :oops:

Problem appears to me:
your jacket (I wouldn't dare washing it, in fear it'll still be wet the next day)
Sleeping bag (same with that one, no washing for six weeks)
Shoulder straps on your back-pack

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To be honest I think all pilgrims just smell... certainly after the first few days. Just be pleased you're not medieval - all the way in one set of clothes and no washing til lavacolla! :wink:

I always take deodorant, it doesn't weigh that much, and also managed small quantities of face cream and body lotion.

A lot of packing lists include 'toiletries' as one item but, because we all take diffrent thing, these are not always itemised, but deodorant would certainly be included. Most pilgrims I've seen on the Camino really do use deodorant, albergues would be just horrible if they didn't. So, please take some with you!

Trudy

I took a travel size deoderant and replaced with a new one around the end of week three. Others will appreciate its use. It will keep your clothing and pack a little less funky too. Frankly I did not run into too many folks who smelled so I think deoderant use is fairly normal. There is also a "rock" from health food stores that some used.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Janet,
I was considering taking one of those crystal sticks but then reckoned that, as my deodorant would be the closest thing to perfume my packing would allow, I'd take a scented spray (but be careful not to pollute the whole room with or other common areas with it). Having walked from SJPP wearing sweaty rain gear for most of the time we were more than a little scruffy by the time we got to Leon, and though not dirty we were never really squeaky clean from end of week one.
No matter what we did there was always a slight whiff of 'L'eau de Pelerin' about us and our gear :? On the plus side ones nose does becomes de-sensitised to all but the strongest of odours. By the way though overt 'pit sniffing' is acceptable en route just remember to dial it down once you get home as it may not be received with such grace :oops: .
Nell

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back