• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

departing Lisbon September 6

magpye

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPDP to S (2018)
Camino Portugese: (2016)
Camino Santiago SJPDP to Santiago (2013)
Female (married, 59) travelling solo, would like to find walking partner as I hear its lonely out there! RSVP.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, magpye,
Wishing you a great Caminho from Lisbon. I think the loneliness on this Caminho is dissipating. If you look at the pilgrim statistics (which only tally number of compostelas given), in September, 2004, 7 pilgrims walked from Lisbon. In September, 2015, that number had increased to 274 and this year is likely to be still more -- still not an avalanche, but it certainly suggests you won't be alone. And have you heard the great news that there is now an albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Cathedral -- this will make the early days out of Lisbon much easier. The forum guide (guides, actually, since there is one from Lisbon to Porto and one from Porto - Santiago ) in the Resources section are very good, IMO, and have comments and suggestions from a LOT of forum members who have walked from Lisbon. Bom Caminho, Laurie

I am a bit ahead of you leaving Lisbon 28 August. Maybe you will catch up with me when I rest up in Porto 12 Saptember. Go well

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Female (married, 59) travelling solo, would like to find walking partner as I hear its lonely out there! RSVP.
I am a lone female pilgrim flying out of Toronto to Lisbon the day after Labour Day. I am looking forward to walking alone for much of the Camino but perhaps we could start the journey together? Finnie

Hi, magpye,
Wishing you a great Caminho from Lisbon. I think the loneliness on this Caminho is dissipating. If you look at the pilgrim statistics (which only tally number of compostelas given), in September, 2004, 7 pilgrims walked from Lisbon. In September, 2015, that number had increased to 274 and this year is likely to be still more -- still not an avalanche, but it certainly suggests you won't be alone. And have you heard the great news that there is now an albergue in Alpriate, 20 km from the Cathedral -- this will make the early days out of Lisbon much easier. The forum guide (guides, actually, since there is one from Lisbon to Porto and one from Porto - Santiago ) in the Resources section are very good, IMO, and have comments and suggestions from a LOT of forum members who have walked from Lisbon. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Hi Laurie.
This year (January to April) the beginning of the path in Lisbon had an increase of 34%.
upload_2016-5-9_15-5-54.png

Brilliant statistics, Aurelio. I can’t wait to walk the stretch from Lisbon to Porto. Maybe I shouldn’t wait too long. It’s getting more popular ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Magpye...I arrive Lisbon September 1, so will be a few days ahead of you. Buen Camino on your walk, and since we are walking the road less traveled my assumption is we're all going to be eager to see each other along the way! I like that.

You Lisbon peregrinos may have already seen this, but I am trying to spread the word in the English language world about the new albergue in Alpriate. It´s right on the Camino, about 20 km from the Lisbon Cathedral and has been open exactly 9 days. So it's not yet in any of the guidebooks. Hope that lots of forum members will get a chance to enjoy the new place -- and there is a little café with good and cheap home cooked food. Or, if you prefer to cook, the kitchen in the albergue is fully equipped. Bom caminho, Laurie

Thanks Laurie,
I am looking into how this fits in with my plans.
To Magpye and Stepnote; it is really encouraging to have a couple of contacts on the same route. I will be a bit ahead of you but the extra years I have will mean you will probably catch me as I am slow and steady. Once I get a SIM card in Portugal I will be in touch. Stepnote, I am trying to quit my job but I am on a third attempt to find a replacement! If your employer wants to keep you they just need to let you do the Camino. Good workers are invaluable!
Bon Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, this is exciting! Thank you Laurie, that fits perfectly into an imaginary plan I have to walk out of Lisbon on day zero. I'm still not sure I should try it after being on a plane from California, laying over for a couple days to see my kids in Florida and then flying to Philly and finally Lisbon. Maybe that's day 1. Margaret I look forward to the call...not sure how the sim card works yet by I guess I need to figure that out as well. Now that I see you're from New Zealand I retract my reservations about long flights! Thanks, all. Steve

I hate the long flights too. Madness! I am flying to England and resting for 3 days before I embark on my Hadrian's Wall path the week before I fly to Lisbon. I can assure you I will be grumpy boots when I finally check into my b&b in Newcastle on Tyne.

Lag and culture shock, the essence of a good adventure!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You Lisbon peregrinos may have already seen this, but I am trying to spread the word in the English language world about the new albergue in Alpriate. It´s right on the Camino, about 20 km from the Lisbon Cathedral and has been open exactly 9 days. So it's not yet in any of the guidebooks. Hope that lots of forum members will get a chance to enjoy the new place -- and there is a little café with good and cheap home cooked food. Or, if you prefer to cook, the kitchen in the albergue is fully equipped. Bom caminho, Laurie

Thank you very much for your posts on this. It has been many years since I have asked a question here, yet I did want to know suggestions of my first night to rest.

Arriving June 16th late morning in Lisbon and was wondering where would be a good place to stay. Perhaps I'll get walking upon arrival (I'm ok with 20km as a leg stretch).

So from the airport, I would take a bus to cathedral and make my decision from there? I could walk to new albergue in Alpriate or stay in an albergue near Cathedral?

Hi mralisn, that is my plan as well...since i arrive late morning I figure any progress on day 0 will be good, and I agree it's going to be good to walk. 20 km sounds about right. After Alpriate, following Brierly's latest guide, it appears accommodations north of Alverca do Ribatejo aren't plentiful and I don't like the idea of walking 25+ miles on day 1 to get to his next waypoint in Azambuja. What are your thoughts on the following day? thanks and Buen Camino on your walk!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Stepnote,

Now noticed you're in Paradise. I'm in Chico.

Besides landing at the airport, I have absolutely no plan besides follow arrows north for a month. I am not usually like this, and I'll do more reading as the time comes.

I have the small pamphlet guide from the Confraternity of St. James and will rely on information as I go. You have much more info than I do, so thank you for sharing that first stage information.

The only other thing I was thinking (from what I read) was taking bus (despite my nature) out of the first part of Lisbon. Will take a splinter route to Fatima as well.

Cheers,
Simeon

So from the airport, I would take a bus to cathedral and make my decision from there? I could walk to new albergue in Alpriate or stay in an albergue near Cathedral?

Hi, Simeon,
You could take the aerobus to Praca do Comercio http://www.golisbon.com/transport/airport-shuttle.html. From there the cathedral is about a 5 minute walk uphill.

Metro would also take you there, but the metro route is not direct and would probably take you much longer.

No pilgrim albergues in Lisbon, but there are many youth hostels. I have not heard about any that are not party central, however, but you may be more tolerant than I. For cheap accommodation in central Lisbon near the cathedral, I like Pensao da Prata, across the street from a good little cafe (Paco Real) with a pretty sardine Caminho stamp and good home cooking (and yummy homemade pastries).

I am not trying to change your MO here, but forum members have put together some decent guides/pamphlets on the route from Lisbon and from Porto, which you can find in the resources section if you are so inclined. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues.40/

Bom caminho to all Lisbon pilgrims, Laurie

What are your thoughts on the following day? thanks and Buen Camino on your walk!

With Day 1 in Alpriate, the logical next day is probably Azambuja (about 30- 32) -- Vila Franca is also possible but it is only about 12 km after Alpriate. Those kms are all totally flat, nothing difficult. I would get advice from the hospitaleros in Alpriate -- they pretty much know every step of the way between Lisbon and Porto. Bom caminho, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am a bit ahead of you leaving Lisbon 28 August. Maybe you will catch up with me when I rest up in Porto 12 Saptember. Go well
Margaret, thanks you. I will watch for you. Magpye is my "nom de plume" but you can call me Anne from Canada.

I am a lone female pilgrim flying out of Toronto to Lisbon the day after Labour Day. I am looking forward to walking alone for much of the Camino but perhaps we could start the journey together? Finnie
Yes, I feel same, no long term commitment but it might be a good way to start. Am booking Lisbon accommodation and will pass this on to your when determined. Thanks!

Hi, magpye,
Thank you, the stats are reassuring. Any contact info for the new albergue at Alpriate?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi magpye,

There is a Facebook page for the alburgue in Alpriate. A quick search will get you there. Here is the phone listed: 915 595 213.

There is also a webpage, yet there isn't any contact information or tabs to click. I am sure they are slowly putting it altogether.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

That phone number that Simeon gave is also the SOS Pilgrim phone number. You can call it 24/7 if you are in a pinch on the Caminho in Portugal. The phone is always on, always with an English speaker at the other end. They are happy to answer any questions, help with any emergencies, etc. (I heard some stories of them getting calls from pilgrims lost in eucalyptus forests and were able to give good walking instructions -- those phone calls prompted a lot of new arrows, though, so you shouldn't have a problem).

Since the Via Lusitana operates both the SOS phone number and the albergue in Alpriate, you can call there for information. I believe the plan to stay open through at least September.

Hi, Simeon,
You could take the aerobus to Praca do Comercio http://www.golisbon.com/transport/airport-shuttle.html. From there the cathedral is about a 5 minute walk uphill.

Metro would also take you there, but the metro route is not direct and would probably take you much longer.

No pilgrim albergues in Lisbon, but there are many youth hostels. I have not heard about any that are not party central, however, but you may be more tolerant than I. For cheap accommodation in central Lisbon near the cathedral, I like Pensao da Prata, across the street from a good little cafe (Paco Real) with a pretty sardine Caminho stamp and good home cooking (and yummy homemade pastries).

I am not trying to change your MO here, but forum members have put together some decent guides/pamphlets on the route from Lisbon and from Porto, which you can find in the resources section if you are so inclined. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/camino-portugues.40/

Bom caminho to all Lisbon pilgrims, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thank you very much for the bus tip. I am a little familiar with the central area of Lisbon as I stayed there a few days after my Camino Norte in '10. I do have a couple of hostels in mind, yet I am liking the idea of stretching my legs a bit and possibly going on to Alpriate.

I arrive in Lisbon near 11:00, perhaps I get down to central Lisbon near 12:30. Covering 20km won't be all that difficult for me. However, now thinking 8 beds might be taken by the time I arrive early evening?

And thank you for the advice resources section. I forgot to mention I have downloaded these some weeks ago when I read one of your suggestions for someone else. A wealth of information you are.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie,

Thank you very much for the bus tip. I am a little familiar with the central area of Lisbon as I stayed there a few days after my Camino Norte in '10. I do have a couple of hostels in mind, yet I am liking the idea of stretching my legs a bit and possibly going on to Alpriate.

I arrive in Lisbon near 11:00, perhaps I get down to central Lisbon near 12:30. Covering 20km won't be all that difficult for me. However, now thinking 8 beds might be taken by the time I arrive early evening?

And thank you for the advice resources section. I forgot to mention I have downloaded these some weeks ago when I read one of your suggestions for someone else. A wealth of information you are.

Keep a smile,
Simeon
Hi Simeon. There are extra mattresses (at least 4) so I can't imagine you will find it full. You could always call after the first 8 km, which will bring you to Parque das Nacoes and its youth hostel. But I really think you will be fine.

Hi Magpye...I arrive Lisbon September 1, so will be a few days ahead of you. Buen Camino on your walk, and since we are walking the road less traveled my assumption is we're all going to be eager to see each other along the way! I like that.
Ah, and now I have three aquaintances to anticipate on my journey. Who could ask for more. Thank you, sincerely. Call me "Anne" from Canada.

This is good, Anne from Canada...I'm really excited about the CP (is that an appropriate abbreviation for the Camino Portuguese?), and in a way I've already started. 14 miles yesterday, and today I'm loading the pack and heading out for the first walk with pack and poles. I traded in the leather boots, which were way too hot and heavy for me, for La Sportiva trail runners, which are really great. The blisters from the boots are healed and I'm going to wear these new shoes out and buy another pair for the Camino. I did a lot of reading and debating about boots vs trail runners, and I hope I made the right choice, time will tell. Bom Caminho. Call me Steve

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is good, Anne from Canada...I'm really excited about the CP (is that an appropriate abbreviation for the Camino Portuguese?), and in a way I've already started. 14 miles yesterday, and today I'm loading the pack and heading out for the first walk with pack and poles. I traded in the leather boots, which were way too hot and heavy for me, for La Sportiva trail runners, which are really great. The blisters from the boots are healed and I'm going to wear these new shoes out and buy another pair for the Camino. I did a lot of reading and debating about boots vs trail runners, and I hope I made the right choice, time will tell. Bom Caminho. Call me Steve
lol, Steve:
I walked the Cfrances in 2013. Wore La Sportiva light hiking boots and they changed my life. In a good way. So, you've good gear! And a good training regimen. Be sure to break in the new ones well. I didn't have a single blister in 750 km.
I also walked mostly (serendipitous, by chance) with engineers and planners, so I am looking forward to connecting.
Yes, CP is the Portugese route.
I've booked 2 nights in Lisbon. Will keep in touch. Am feeling more confident with a few connections. Giving myself plenty of time. Did 10 km training hike yesterday, encountering 4 bears. Fortunately I was not alone.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back