• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Departing the US on April 5th

ajones

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese - April 2015
Hi all,

It's been a rush to get ready for the camino since booking my ticket on March 21st. Everything has worked pretty well so far and all the pieces have fallen into place. I am packed and almost out the door but I have a few more questions.

I arrive in Lisbon Monday around 15:00 and I'd like to get my credentials at Cathedral da Se that same day. The Cathedral closes at 18:30 so that should be doable. Any recommendations on where to stay that first night? Near the Cathedral would be ideal so I can just walk over. Can you also please offer an alternative in case I'm late and miss the Cathedral hours? I think I need the credential to stay at albergues.

Also, is there a place nearby where I can get SIM? I am going to take @Albertinho 's suggestion and use Ringcredible for calls if Google Voice doesn't work there. But I need data - I know, #firstworldproblem!! I've told very few people about this journey but I promised the people I did tell that I'd send updates. We don't communicate with phone calls - we use data. I prefer not to have to wait for Wi-Fi since I am going to be dealing with 4 different time zones.

Lasty, @peregrina2000 I plan on taking your walking next morning - thanks for reposting it to the top. I guess I am walking the tour backwards from Catedral da Se to Largo do Rato. Since since I am not supposed to go back to the same albergue (if I do stay in one the first night) for a second night, do you have any recommendations on a different place to stay in Lisbon? I don't mind paying more than the cost of an albergue but I don't want to go to fancy hotel either.

Any help is appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

It's been a rush to get ready for the camino since booking my ticket on March 21st. Everything has worked pretty well so far and all the pieces have fallen into place. I am packed and almost out the door but I have a few more questions.

I arrive in Lisbon Monday around 15:00 and I'd like to get my credentials at Cathedral da Se that same day. The Cathedral closes at 18:30 so that should be doable. Any recommendations on where to stay that first night? Near the Cathedral would be ideal so I can just walk over. Can you also please offer an alternative in case I'm late and miss the Cathedral hours? I think I need the credential to stay at albergues.

Also, is there a place nearby where I can get SIM? I am going to take @Albertinho 's suggestion and use Ringcredible for calls if Google Voice doesn't work there. But I need data - I know, #firstworldproblem!! I've told very few people about this journey but I promised the people I did tell that I'd send updates. We don't communicate with phone calls - we use data. I prefer not to have to wait for Wi-Fi since I am going to be dealing with 4 different time zones.

Lasty, @peregrina2000 I plan on taking your walking next morning - thanks for reposting it to the top. I guess I am walking the tour backwards from Catedral da Se to Largo do Rato. Since since I am not supposed to go back to the same albergue (if I do stay in one the first night) for a second night, do you have any recommendations on a different place to stay in Lisbon? I don't mind paying more than the cost of an albergue but I don't want to go to fancy hotel either.

Any help is appreciated!

bom caminho!
there is also another basilica where you can obtain the credential. near metro station baixho chiado.
nostra signora dei mitiries or something like that. opens @ 5pm. you could take the metro directly from airport to baixho chiado (need to change once i believe, forgot station. but you'll get a map at the metro station at airport)
and a few steps from there - the basilica - and inside the shopping arcade - is a vodafone place where you get sim cards. staff speaks english.

i stayed outside of lisboa - to rest and visit with friends for 5 days before i started the caminho - ( found it via airb'n'b.)
there should be plenty of place to stay in and around lisboa. it's a goregous city and a lovely place to explore, to experience ....
very best wishes

bom caminho!
there is also another basilica where you can obtain the credential. near metro station baixho chiado.
nostra signora dei mitiries or something like that. opens @ 5pm. you could take the metro directly from airport to baixho chiado (need to change once i believe, forgot station. but you'll get a map at the metro station at airport)
and a few steps from there - the basilica - and inside the shopping arcade - is a vodafone place where you get sim cards. staff speaks english.

i stayed outside of lisboa - to rest and visit with friends for 5 days before i started the caminho - ( found it via airb'n'b.)
there should be plenty of place to stay in and around lisboa. it's a goregous city and a lovely place to explore, to experience ....
very best wishes

Thanks @amorfati1 I'll check the metro map/schedule and head to that basilica and mall once I arrive. I didn't even think of AirBnb for hotel alternatives - thanks for the reminder! I'll see what I can find online!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all,

Any help is appreciated!
Go to the hotel de Chile where our forumfriend Diogo works . And ask for the pilgrims discount
http://www.hoteldochile.com

Bom caminho Aida and let us know about your experiences here

Um abraço

Thanks @amorfati1 I'll check the metro map/schedule and head to that basilica and mall once I arrive. I didn't even think of AirBnb for hotel alternatives - thanks for the reminder! I'll see what I can find online!
A few days to go and then . ....Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back