• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Descent from Alto de Perdon

Gadflyparexcellence

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
If it rains, how muddy does the descent from Alto de Perdon get? While from some of the clips on this forum the descent appears to be rocky, does it also get very muddy during rain? I heard that the mud during or following rain could be almost ankle high. If that's the case, cleaning your shoes/boots could be a real problem. Did anyone experience this problem?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If it rains, how muddy does the descent from Alto de Perdon get? While from some of the clips on this forum the descent appears to be rocky, does it also get very muddy during rain? I heard that the mud during or following rain could be almost ankle high. If that's the case, cleaning your shoes/boots could be a real problem. Did anyone experience this problem?
I had luck to walk this section twice in nice (no rain) weather. But from the type of the surface I wouldn't say there should be lots of mud in case of rain, it's quite rocky. One of our forum members (can't remember his name right now) lives in Cizur Menor and I think he is the right person to answer this.

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I walked that stretch last year it was very hot, I was very glad when I enter the town. First thing what I did was to drink a nice cool beer.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. Very reassuring. Perhaps this happens to those who're about to go on their first Camino walk. Your imagination runs wild and you conjure up so many scenarios that turn out to be simply remote and trivial.

In January of this year there was about 18" of snow on it. The locals were sledding down the top part.
Pretty tough going as the big rocks were not visible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last May it was dry and even though I took my time.....I didn't find it too hard ....Probably a different story when it rains !

It was the constant stepping on the loose stones that I found so taxing. Despite my good boots and cushiony inner soles, the soles of my feet were never so sore as they were when I finished that descent. Other than that, the Alto de Perdon was a great climb and a great descent.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked from Pamplona to Burgos last July, took the train back to Pamplona and walked to Estella where I would be working at an albergue. My only concern was walking down from the Alto de Perdon in wet weather. The first time down was dry and fine - but slow-going with the rocks and loose stones. On my second time down, two weeks later, it had rained during the night and into the morning and I was worried about the descent...but it wasn't bad at all. I still had to very carefully pick my way down on the narrow path amid the rocks, but it wasn't as difficult as I had expected. You never know!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can remember going up to the Alto del Perdon last fall, but I have no memory of going down. Going up was easy, and I was looking forward to the sculptures on the heights and the new view at the top. Going down was simply not memorable - no challenges at all. It was dry that morning and I walk with boots and a walking stick which are more than adequate for ordinary challenges of the trail. I see from the above posts that some people have had challenges in bad weather or on a wet or muddy trail. So far, that has not been my experience. Perhaps that is one place where boots are particularly suitable footwear. Choose boots or shoes that work best for you and keep in mind that whatever you choose may not be ideal for particular sections. My boots can be heavy going on pavement. Buen camino.

I remember that decent vividly. It was a dry day, but there were sections with small, round rocks and loose shale that made the going kind of tough. Even with poles and good boots, I was slipping and sliding, ended up on my butt a couple times. At one point, I looked up to admire the view, took a wrong step, and twisted my ankle. I was super sore the next day. I do a lot of hiking, but shale has always been my arch nemisis.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walked it in the rain September 2015, wet and slippery on the way up but I made it. I took it extra slow on the descent with no problems. Just remember to take your time coming down.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back