• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

descent from Col de Lepoeder

dalstonmarra

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPD to Burgos April 2015, Burgos to Leon.(May 2016)
Leon to Santiago(April2017)
I have noted the concerns of many Pilgrims about the descent from Col de Lepoeder.I am assuming that the ground in mid April will not be too stable.
Being one with suspect knees I was wondering how sustained the difficulty,and what distance has to be walked before the descent eases to a reasonable gradient.
I know there is the alternative descent by road to Ibaneta

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks to those of you who answered my query.

Thank you also for this information, but could we be more specific. The Route Napoleon was closed due to snow when I went through (early April) so I had to take the Valcarlos route, but I still would like to walk the Napoleon some time. My understanding is that after the col, there are two options, one to the right and one to the left. Which exactly is the forest road?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you also for this information, but could we be more specific. The Route Napoleon was closed due to snow when I went through (early April) so I had to take the Valcarlos route, but I still would like to walk the Napoleon some time. My understanding is that after the col, there are two options, one to the right and one to the left. Which exactly is the forest road?
If memory serves me right, forest to the right. Beautiful, but in April would be very slippery in my opinion.

If memory serves me right, forest to the right. Beautiful, but in April would be very slippery in my opinion.
Thank you. What I'd really like to know is how the forest section in April between the Col and Roncesvalles compares with the descent from Roncesvalles to Zubiri, in similar conditions. When I walked the latter in early April, the combination of snow and mud over those sleek rocks made for a very 'interesting' and challenging trek. Fortunately I was relatively fit when I did it but, even so, I can't stress enough how invaluable my poles were that day. I've read that the forest between the Col and Roncesvalles is very beautiful and I'd like to walk it some day, but folks generally advise against it because of the risk of injury. I'm usually up for a challenge; the trick always is deciding where challenge ends and stupidity begins.:)

The best is to follow the road from the top. The path through the forest crosses the road after a short stage, then the path through the forest goes left and the road down to the Ibaneta chapel goes right.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm not sure that is correct. I thought the "safer" route went to the right, which I did. Two poles are very helpful at that point.
That's also my understanding of the options,left following the path and right for the road and never the twain shall meet.

In April 2011 I missed the turn to the right and went through the forest. I went slowly, the weather was fine and it was a beautiful walk.

I wasn't the only one to miss the turn that day! Keep a careful eye out for the road if that's the way you want to go.

buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have noted the concerns of many Pilgrims about the descent from Col de Lepoeder.I am assuming that the ground in mid April will not be too stable.
Being one with suspect knees I was wondering how sustained the difficulty,and what distance has to be walked before the descent eases to a reasonable gradient.
I have already decided to take the alternative route, its only an extra 1km. I read some advice just today to never ever attempt it during or after wet weather. As we are both starting the same day in April I think we can reasonably assume the ground will be wet. One way or another if not in Orisson, will meet you in Roncesvalles be it Route Napolean or Valcarlos, Buen Camino

The road is to the right. At the pilgrim office in SJPP they give out a map that gives the options for getting to Roncesvalles, and they show the road going to the right. It is only about 1km longer I think than taking the forest path.
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Imagine a very steep hill.
Like, walk down 20 feet and you're eye level with the place you began.
Now imagine that hill covered with ice.
Now imagine that ice-covered hill covered with the most slippery snot you can imagine.
Now imagine that ice-covered, snotty hill, also covered with a layer of slippery, rotting, wet leaves.
And then consider the number of kilometers you will be walking down that hill.
Now imagine trying to walk down that hill with a 15-20 pound pack on your back.
And that's in May after a rain.

I've never taken the road; always have taken the trail, but wished I'd taken the road a time or two.
One time, we met up with a older Brazilian woman who was crying and having a horrible time, it was so dangerously slippery. Luckily I speak a bit of Portuguese - and asked could she use some help?
Bless Joe's heart, he put her pack on his front (and it was a BIG pack) and carried both packs down to Roncesvalles.
I gave her my pacer poles, and prayed all the way down.
We made new friends that day.

If you DO take the trail and it's been raining, don't do it without poles.

Now imagine that ice-covered hill covered with the most slippery snot you can imagine.
Now imagine that ice-covered, snotty hill, also covered with a layer of slippery, rotting, wet leaves.

I've never taken the road; always have taken the trail, but wished I'd taken the road a time or two.
One time, we met up with a older Brazilian woman who was crying and having a horrible time, it was so dangerously slippery. Luckily I speak a bit of Portuguese - and asked could she use some help?
Bless Joe's heart, he put her pack on his front (and it was a BIG pack) and carried both packs down to Roncesvalles.

thank you for those words of warning.

Let him who has earned it, bear the reward

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thank you, @Anniesantiago. This gives me a clearer idea of what that track entails.

I missed the road turn off in pouring rain. I fell flat on my back and was glad that I was protected by having a nice full pack to land on. My only "injury" was a bruise on the underside of my forearm that made contact with a stone when I went down. I witnessed a lady less fortunate who fell forward instead of backward and was bleeding profusely from a cut on her forehead. Upon finally reaching Roncevalles one of my cubicle mates had a muddy backside very similar to mine and he said he had also fallen flat on his back and had been protected by his pack. Still, a good time was had by all :)

... I fell flat on my back ... My only "injury" was a bruise on the underside of my forearm that made contact with a stone when I went down. I witnessed a lady less fortunate who fell forward instead of backward and was bleeding profusely from a cut on her forehead. ... one of my cubicle mates had a muddy backside very similar to mine and he said he had also fallen flat on his back and had been protected by his pack. Still, a good time was had by all :)

True pilgrim spirit all around there! Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is why I say take the road all the way from the top: I think the path at the top takes to the right of the way, like Anemone said, and crosses the road further down. There you have to take to the right to get on the road. I have walked the road twice, but the time I walked through the forest it was a very dense fog so I did not notice the road when I crossed it. The path was a hell! Stick to the road from the top all the way down to Ibaneta even if there are marked some shorts further down on the road. From Ibaneta there is a nice marked path to the left down to Roncesvalles. Nice walk through the wood.

I took the forest path last April - yes, it WAS muddy and slippery in places, but, if you walk with care, it is a really beautiful pathway. In MHO, the steep, slippery and muddy path down to Zubiri was much, much worse and I did slip a few times on this one - that is where I damaged my Achilles tendon.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back