• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Describe your Camino

Fares Ismail

Fares
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017), Invierno (2017)
I get asked all the time "hows your camino? "
And generally I find it really hard to answer that question.
I did think of "wonderfully exhausting" but im not sure that covers it!

I was wondering how do you guys answer that question (shortly, without going on a 1 hour monolog about the camino and all that comes with it :p)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
“Days of walking through which whatever Mother Nature decides to wash you – sun, rain, sleet, snow, wind. These days are bounded by sleep, often of poor quality, and punctuated with food and generally good humor. Challenges do arise. One either solves them or endures them. Some days you go through hell… but just keep on going. Other days offer moments of pure magic, the viewing of external beauty or discovering something beautiful in yourself.”

That’s as short as I have been able to make it. To come up with something better seems a task on par with trying to knit a plush toy from a sack of dryer lint and some steel wool. I’ll be looking back here for better as I am sure there will be!:)

B

My last camino francés, last Summer, I would describe as perfect. I knew what I was doing, I knew where I was going. I expected mayhem (it was Summer!) and everywhere I stayed was empty and fhere was (unexpected) peace and quiet.
Bliss, I would describe it as.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Because I like more solitary Caminos and even on the more busy stretches of Frances/Muxia/Fisterra I tend to be more by myself I would say that only while walking the Camino I can really be completely connected with my inner self.
So apart from rain combined with strong wind for me every Camino is "a perfect Camino". Tired or not, thirsty or not, all sweaty, shops closed, bed bugs,... all is just perfect when on Camino :)

I have found that's it's next to impossible to describe the Camino experience to someone who hasn't done it. I've decided to not even try. Which is probably why I spend too much time on the forum, because people here understand.
Such right words.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This (more or less) came out of my mouth at a pub with friends shortly after I got home.........

Its like leading a completely self contained mini-life. You are born in St. Jean. You know nothing, and everything is new to you. Confusing, amazing, frightening, and wondrous. You become like a child, and barge forward tentatively at first. Then it becomes a game you play, and its fun. You make some new friends. You become a teenager, and discover risk taking, hubris, and excess. You pay for it, and you mature. Can't walk 35 km every day, and can't drink a whole bottle of wine every night. You hit your prime, and develop confidence in your body and yourself. Some new friends come, and others go, but your goal never waivers. As the kilometers tick by, you realize one day that you have reached a point of middle aged wisdom and equanimity. Everything still works, but the body grows tired. It is during this time you connect with yourself, free from the distractions you have discarded one by one along the way. As you approach Santiago, you realize that your time grows short, and soon you will walk no further. What on earth caused me to be in such a hurry to arrive at the end? I was such a fool when I was young. Sitting in Santiago, you reflect on what you did and did not do. The pains, triumphs, miseries and joys, both shared and private. You remember the friends who are still with you, and those you lost track of. And you recheck the plane ticket that will take you "home" tomorrow.

I quickly found that the vast majority of people just want a very simple answer. Those that genuinely want to know more will ask. My usual reply was something along the lines of

"A long piss-up with a few church's thrown in, sore feet, great friends and the best time I've had for years."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This (more or less) came out of my mouth at a pub with friends shortly after I got home.........

Its like leading a completely self contained mini-life. You are born in St. Jean. You know nothing, and everything is new to you. Confusing, amazing, frightening, and wondrous. You become like a child, and barge forward tentatively at first. Then it becomes a game you play, and its fun. You make some new friends. You become a teenager, and discover risk taking, hubris, and excess. You pay for it, and you mature. Can't walk 35 km every day, and can't drink a whole bottle of wine every night. You hit your prime, and develop confidence in your body and yourself. Some new friends come, and others go, but your goal never waivers. As the kilometers tick by, you realize one day that you have reached a point of middle aged wisdom and equanimity. Everything still works, but the body grows tired. It is during this time you connect with yourself, free from the distractions you have discarded one by one along the way. As you approach Santiago, you realize that your time grows short, and soon you will walk no further. What on earth caused me to be in such a hurry to arrive at the end? I was such a fool when I was young. Sitting in Santiago, you reflect on what you did and did not do. The pains, triumphs, miseries and joys, both shared and private. You remember the friends who are still with you, and those you lost track of. And you recheck the plane ticket that will take you "home" tomorrow.

Absolutely love this. Perfect analogy and eloquently expressed. Cheers

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.