• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detailed planning for daily distances

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgos (2019), SJPdP (2020?).
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But it is free!! ;)

:p:p That's what counts.

Happily, I have a Galaxy 6. I just downloaded and it's lots of fun, very helpful, and even I was able to navigate through it (mostly).

Now if I would just spend half as much time training as I do reading the forum and playing with various gizmos, maybe my feet won't hurt so much when I head out again:eek:.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can get this one it's the second site I cannot get as I use an iphone. :(
Do you really need an app? Wifi is readily available all along the CF so you can access the website basically anytime along the way.

:p:p That's what counts.

Happily, I have a Galaxy 6. I just downloaded and it's lots of fun, very helpful, and even I was able to navigate through it (mostly).

Now if I would just spend half as much time training as I do reading the forum and playing with various gizmos, maybe my feet won't hurt so much when I head out again:eek:.
Have you checked out the Camino Guide Offline. You do not need to be connected to WiFi to use it. I used it last year and it was great. Better than great. I am taking an older Android phone this year, along with my iPhone, just for that one program.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having done several Caminos, both with and without the assistance of a smart phone, I can see the arguments in favor of both camps. However, overriding all of this available information, I can offer one comment regarding too much planning:

"Man plans...God laughs..."

It is true, you know...

Last edited:
Do you really need an app? Wifi is readily available all along the CF so you can access the website basically anytime along the way.
I thoroughly enjoy the planning process, and this tool is a great one, but I stay flexible once I'm on the road.This website is great for research and planning your walking days, from home, when you are getting an idea of the possibilities. It never even occurred to me to put on my smartphone for reference while actually on the camino. For me, its value is that I can download the entire list of locations to an excel spreadsheet and to KML files.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I thoroughly enjoy the planning process, and this tool is a great one, but I stay flexible once I'm on the road.This website is great for research and planning your walking days, from home, when you are getting an idea of the possibilities. It never even occurred to me to put on my smartphone for reference while actually on the camino. For me, its value is that I can download the entire list of locations to an excel spreadsheet and to KML files.

Planning is something to do to overcome the problem of waiting! I also have my directory full of maps, KML files, etc. that I probably won't use...but it gives me something to do while I 'count down' (60 days and counting!)

Ultreya,
-Jason

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When you walk the Camino, do not plan for daily distance. Covering Kms is not what the Camino is about. If you strive to cover ground you will miss out on a lot of the ambiance and magic of the journey, which is indeed why you came - isn't it? You can walk 500 miles as fast as you can when you are at home. Better to run out of time than to hurry to the finish.

I found this too, before my camino this spring, but the "stages planning" feature was not useful since my stages were shorter. I wish you could input your preferred stage distance and have it generate a plan based on that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found out about godesalco a while back and it's great for scenarios. I'm not much of a fan of planning daily distances though. Walk until you find a spot that you really like. Try not to think about it too much.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I found this too, before my camino this spring, but the "stages planning" feature was not useful since my stages were shorter. I wish you could input your preferred stage distance and have it generate a plan based on that.
The urcamino.com site does exactly that. You are asked what you want your daily average to be, then the site generates a plan. You can then review it and change stops.

Hurrrrrmphhhh! I don't hold out too much hope for getting it on my typewriter now.:rolleyes:

Ahhhhh! How I miss the days of postcards, letters and telegrams.

Buen (getting connected planning for your) Camino
and fountain pens . . .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found this page:

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

which I have found very useful for planning daily walk distances. It may help others and this app to check on lodgings and other facilities at each town/village along the way:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It's free and an incredible resource.

Buen Camino
It seems to me that you are letting technology run your camino with all these apps. Do you really think that they will enhance your experience ?

I've yet to meet a person who sticks to a pre-determined plan made by one of these apps. You meet people, you may come across a perfect town, you have an injury...all of these scenarios change where and how far you walk. Just saying.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't see anything wrong with having a loose plan. And in fact the great thing about some of these apps is that they can help you be more spontaneous, because it's easy to see how far you have to walk until the next town, albergue, cafe, etc., and decide what you want to do in the moment.

It seems to me that you are letting technology run your camino with all these apps. Do you really think that they will enhance your experience ?
Why would you conclude that? I get considerable pleasure from the planning process. And I also get pleasure from the spontaneous changes to the plan along the way!

I certainly think that the android app will make it a lot easier for me to book accommodation well ahead as seems to becoming important these days as walker numbers grow. The maps will also show me where post offices, restaurants, ATM's, pharmacies, etc. are in each location - yup I think they can help improve the experience when they can be useful in making trivial but necessary tasks easier.

I also love just working on the trip on a regular basis before I go and watching 'The Way' again and again, YouTube documentaries on the Camino, playing with the apps, routes, daily walk distances, and checking out all the facilities on the way keep me enthused and looking forward to my trip starting on 2nd Aug.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Lance,

Personally, I refuse to book accomodation on a pilgrimage route. Yes, there are many users on the same route with myriad purposes, some who are on pilgrimage, from children to octogenarians, but the bottom line is that it is a pilgrimage route. So, for me, it is about unplugging, getting in touch with the inner self and enjoying not only the wonderful scepery but also immersing into the whole environment of the Camino.

While there, dip a toe in and see how it feels.

Finally, it seems that Nelia had a problem finding the second link was not for iphone, as provided in the first post. Nelia, no, it is the same app but for Android phones. It is not designed for iPhone. But I am glad the first linked worked.

When you walk the Camino, do not plan for daily distance. Covering Kms is not what the Camino is about. If you strive to cover ground you will miss out on a lot of the ambiance and magic of the journey, which is indeed why you came - isn't it? You can walk 500 miles as fast as you can when you are at home. Better to run out of time than to hurry to the finish.

You are correct insomuch that record setting for daily distances covered is not my cup of tea. That said, my normal enjoyable pace will easily cover anywhere from 30 to 44 kilometers per day, depending on distractions :) However, I easily smell the roses, take note of special things, and enjoy myself even at my fastest pace.

As with individual metabolisms, some folks have a naturally faster pace that will cover a lot of distance, while others... not so much. There is no right or wrong pace to walk Camino, as long as one does what feels right to oneself.

Having done several Caminos, both with and without the assistance of a smart phone, I can see the arguments in favor of both camps. However, overriding all of this available information, I can offer one comment regarding too much planning:

"Man plans...God laughs..."

It is true, you know...
Marine adage: better a good plan today...than a perfect plan never!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back