• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detailed route mapping

I've been working on extending the route mapping on my website over the last few months, and it now includes some 100 routes, including all the main ones. This is for those routes in W Europe being promoted as 'pilgrim routes', not just those to Santiago. Topo maps from Spain, France, Germany, Italy, GB, Poland available as base map, as are Google Maps and OpenStreetMap. In Spain, I've now also included the CartoCiudad detailed street maps; down to house-number level, tho not much use outside the larger towns. The Catalan topo maps (better quality than IGN) are available for routes in Catalonia.

With a couple of exceptions that I entered myself, the route lines are taken from GPS tracks or Google Earth files that others have created. Some of these are 'official' but others are by individuals and so may not correspond exactly to the official route and may not include all the variations/alternatives.

It still needs some polishing - for example, some of the sections are too long and could do with being split into smaller bits - and I've no idea at the moment how it can all be maintained. If anyone's familiar with a route, knows of errors or out-of-date bits, and/or would like to help improve the route lines, please contact me. I'm more interested in help with routes other than the Camino Frances which is very well documented. Also, if anyone knows of any detailed lines for routes not currently covered, or would like to create such, please let me know.

Map overview at http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/routes.html or there's an alpha list at http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/mapping.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm interested in this as I will be bringing my GPS with me on the Camino Frances in April 2010. I plan to geocache along the way but also had some interest in using my GPS to waymark and possibly load the route onto it. I checked out your website, but am not techno-savvy enough to figure out stuff.

Thanks Peter for your tremendous site. I've been collecting routes on my Google Earth, and your site has been the best colllection on the web.

Renegade-- I've finally come to the conclusion that the technology and data availability have reached the point where it is worth the effort to become a bit more "techno savy". Garmin and Google Earth have made efforts to make their files easier to interchange and many good digital tracks and maps are available.

I have the main routes in Google Earth and I just ordered a new GPS which I plan on loading the routes into. I see you are in Portland, Oregon----if you get to Bend we can get together on this.

Of course, the Camino Frances is the one place you will have little need to a GPS track. Just follow the yellow arrows! The geocaches ought to be interesting though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sweet! I get over to Bend every once in a while. My parents live in Terrebonne at CRR. I'll be over there briefly for Christmas, but probably not again until after the first of the year. I guess I need to look into this GPS stuff a little more. I know I don't need it for the CF because it is so well traveled, I just like the techno-geek aspect of things.... :)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back