Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour after Berducedo and 2 routes after O Cadavo

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
Is the detour after Berducedo still in place? When I walked last year, we were taken quite a long way off the trail through forests., adding a few extra kms to the day. A few of us walked this route and others simply ignored the instructions and got to Grandes de Salime way before us. Is it still in place and if so, is it still possible to walk the original route and not the detour?

My second question relates to the choice of routes after O'Cadovo on the way to Castroverde. The one is called the Main route and was put there in 1917 and the other is called the Complimentary route. Gronz says that the Main route (off to your right at the split) is shorter than the left hand route but to me on the actual map it looks longer. Last year, I took the left route, but it is a long way to Lugo and so it makes a difference if you can shave off the odd kilometer.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I believe so. The worse part is down to the reservoir, the path kept weaving back and forth taking you away from the bridge that crosses over the dam. It was a never ending descent so as I was alone I decided to jog down. Luckily the leaves were dry, wouldn't suggest doing this when wet.

Jennysa, Thanks for your post. We are planning to be on the Primitivo from 24 September. Age and infirmity mens shorter stages, so we will start te day of 5 October in O Cadavo and end up in Vilar de Cas. I agree that Gronze's complimentary Route is a couple of km shorter. We will follow your lead on this. Have you found a gpx file for this section of the route? I'd like to get hold of such a file if you have one. Also was the complimentary route reasonably signposted? It doesn't appear on the various navigation sites I frequent.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jennysa, Thanks for your post. We are planning to be on the Primitivo from 24 September. Age and infirmity mens shorter stages, so we will start te day of 5 October in O Cadavo and end up in Vilar de Cas. I agree that Gronze's complimentary Route is a couple of km shorter. We will follow your lead on this. Have you found a gpx file for this section of the route? I'd like to get hold of such a file if you have one. Also was the complimentary route reasonably signposted? It doesn't appear on the various navigation sites I frequent.
I have bought the Wise Pilgrim's App and it gives tracks for both routes. I found it reasonably well sign posted last year, with the exception of the first village where I had to do a bit of wandering around to find them. Also, not well signposted when I got to Castroverde. In any event, I will record the route and let you have the tracks when I get back.

Jennysa, thanks enjoy your time away. Would very much like a copy of your tracks if you have time. I can't find a GPX for the route on the net. I am using an Android offline navigating app "Oziexplorer" on which I have plotted the whole Primitivo and the "side track" of the Verde and the route across to SdC via Lavacolla. The complimentary route into Castroverde will be most appreciated.
Thanks again.

I note that the routes of some of the Caminos including the Primitivo are shown on a map site OSM outdoors and available amongst a number of the maps on the RideWithGPS website. Plot the route there and the download a matching GPX file. Takes a bit of learning but gives good results. Now to see if their route matches the yellow arrows on the ground.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jennysa, thanks enjoy your time away. Would very much like a copy of your tracks if you have time. I can't find a GPX for the route on the net. I am using an Android offline navigating app "Oziexplorer" on which I have plotted the whole Primitivo and the "side track" of the Verde and the route across to SdC via Lavacolla. The complimentary route into Castroverde will be most appreciated.
Thanks again.
These are the tracks I am using, but also do have a look at Wisely's Camino Primitivo App (I am also using Android). I will definitely get back to you when I get back home. with any other information as well.

Attachments

• Camino Primitivo - Simplified track (en).gpx
    171.8 KB · Views: 19
Sorry I cannot open your files. However when we walked in 2012 the path went past the windfarm and capilla and then went down to a junction in the forest. We were told not to turn left (signed Salime) as that only goes to what is left of the old village at the reservoir, with no way across.
A little further on was a red GR sign pointing left and downhill which we followed. This does zig-zag down hill, and is needed as the descent is so steep. The short slightly uphill section was a relief before descending again. Finally coming out on the road and turn left for the dam. It took us about 21/2 hours from the start of the descent to the dam.
The alternative at the red GR sign was straight on, which we think would come out on the road and then need a left turn to reach the dam. This may be quicker but we do not know for sure.
Looking on Google maps (terrain) the zig-zag path can be seen. Data is for 2019 so it post dates the fire of a few years ago.

Thanks again.
It is so well marked that you do not need tracks. On the sign board, the left hand route is marked as the main route and the right hand one as the Complimentary one. However, when you get to the junction and have to make the decision, the 'Official Route' to the left has huge crosses on it. Most pilgrims took the right hand route, marked as Complimentary. I have now done both routes and would say that the left-hand route - the Official Route on the sign board - has the slight edge but really it is so minimal that it makes little difference.

As mentioned, I bought the Wise Pilgrim's App and it was absolutely fine with up to date tracks. I did not record any tracks myself. The Primitivo is exceptionally well sign-posted, particularly when you cross over into Galicia. I also used the Wise Pilgrim's App to book all my accommodation each day, which made it a really simple exercise.

Overall, the Primitivo is very tough but we covered an average of 27 km a day. However, now that I am home, I think that I could quite easily walk it for a third time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back