• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour after Grimaldo

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Listed in my signature
About 6km (?) past Grimaldo, whether you take the deviation to the albergue there or not, you will come across 2 gates: one pointing straight ahead with one yellow arrow, and one off to the left with LOTS of arrows as well as a sign advertising the Casa Rural in Riolobso. Take this left!!! There is some kind of blockade on the Camino (I don't speak Spanish so I couldn't understand what the problem was) but those who went straight were deviated to Riolobso later on and therefore had 4+ kms added to their day.

There's a pananderia, bar, farmacia, and apparently a tienda in Riolobso but unfortunately there's 6kms of road walking afterwards to Galisteo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year, I spent several hours and kms. back and forth there by the canal, until a couple of Germans came on wth a good book guide. I think some locals have marked it erronuosly...

Anyway, you are safe and sound and have passed it! :wink:

Aha! Just speaking now with some French pilgrims and the problem is the farmer and that 'gate' and now NOT allowing pilgrims to pass over his property. The local who re-directed me said many times, "you should write this on the Internet so people know"!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, that is the correct explanation...

The farmer will receive the proper "reward" in his next life, I hope :wink: Maybe become a black pig we can have a feast on with some red wine at the side? :wink:

:D

Before we party on him, I wish him many hot summers at +40 in Extremadura. Only hot summers.
Sweating for months like a pig, literally :!:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola alipilgrim, I´ll be starting my VdlP on the 15th of May and it´s nice to know which path to avoid :D :D Save me the extra 4kms!!!! I´ll join you all with the party, too.hahahaha :wink: :wink:
Buen camino :D

Hi, alipilgrim,
I think, but am not sure, that this must be the same problem:

camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic11455.html

And I just lifted a post by Melanie from this thread camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic10429.html :

MELANIE wrote: "I'm in Salamanca, having just completed the Merida-Salamanca segment. WARNING: There is a critical missing sign/arrow/hito near Galisteo that has sent everyone I met about 10km out of their way. Here's what you need to know:

About 3 miles from Galisteo you'll be on a nice, wide path near a canal and you can see the town off to your left. KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED FOR A GREEN GATE ON THE LEFT. There's a sign on the gate that says No Trespassing (in Spanish, of course), but if you look more closely there's a tiny "Peregrinos O.K." scratched into the sign. You need to go through this gate. Once you pass through this property (it's a short stretch), you'll see all sorts of Camino markers.

Apparently the farmer who owns the land painted over all of the arrows and removed the hito (gray box with the Caparra arch). If any of you plan to bypass Galisteo and continue on to Carcaboso, let me know. There's some confusion passing Galisteo as well."

But, best of all, there is a picture of the offending gate on this thread: camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic10906.html

Hope it's but a minor hiccup on your otherwise glorious Vdlp, alipilgrim! Buen camino, Laurie

Right, I believe this is the same problem (the kind local redirected me before I got to the gate) but from what I understand it's no longer 'OK' for peregrinos to pass. The local was quite insistent on taking us to Riolobso.

BTW: the path takes you right into town into the main plaza. From there turn left and make your way out of town, you'll see a yellow arrow at the gas station.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ay yi yi! This actually sounds like a different spot! The green gate on the property where the farmer doesn't want pilgrims walking is on the left of the path that runs alongside the canal, but there is no other gate straight ahead -- just the open path you've been walking along. Furthermore, if you take the path as far as it goes (which, unfortunately, I did), it dead-ends about 3 miles farther at someone's home/farm/ranch. So even if someone had constructed a gate across this path since I was there last year, pilgrims who walked straight would never end up in Riolobos -- just at that farm. And there are no other paths up there, so no other way to go.

I also re-checked my notes from last year, and that green gate is about 8-9 miles out of Grimaldo. Alipilgrim says this spot is roughly 6km (4mi) from Grimaldo ...

Alipilgrim, do you remember if this spot came before or after you hit the paved road that comes about 6 miles after Grimaldo? The road comes after you've walked through all of those fields, and you turn right onto it, walk about a half-mile, then exit left onto a dirt road that climbs up by the canal?

Melanie

I am in Seville about to start tomorrow so will watch this topic when I can. At present I don´t know whether to go through the gate or not! Is it definite about going through Rio Lobos though? I,m sure it will sort itself out. Love Seville! Thanks for any new info about this.
H

Hi Everyone,
We were on this stage on 10 October last year. Because of the discussion referenced by above by peregrina2000 I was a bit unsure about going over the hills after the Embalse de Arroya Boqueron When we got to the green gate by the canal, it was open and two men were herding sheep in the property, we called out and asked if we could cross, and they waved us through and we thanked them. Perhaps we were lucky. Certainly some pilgrims were confused, but they were on bicycles so it was not so much of a problem for them.

In Galisteo we had lunch at the Bar los Emigrantes and talked to a Spanish lady with good english. She said that the farmer had recently bought the land and had had problems with pilgrims leaving gates open (and possible other problems) so had asked that the camino be diverted. This has been further discussed in the thread at http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic11455.html and a there is a link in this thread to a Google Map of the new detour through Riolobos which has been suggested by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla.

I am wondering if the diversion referd to in the first post of this thread is before you get to the Embalse and is a shorter route to Riolobos.

Buen Camino

Kevin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
I walked in March 2012. I was told by locals (both on the camino and in galisteo) that the route through the farmer's land is now impassable. Definitely follow the well marked route and the arrows that divert you to RioLobo. It is a lot of walking on pavement but it is well marked and gets you to Galisteo. As I recall, the first markings are when you come up to the main road (several km. after Grimaldo after walking through fields, etc.). I had notes about the canal, the farm, etc. and was prepared to follow them but I never even got to the canal to follow the notes. I think the recommended/official/only possible route is to follow the arrows and turn left on the main road and follow it to Rio Lobo and onwards until you reach Galisteo. It is well marked (especially once you get to Rio Lobo) but is almost entirely on pavement. All of us who stayed at the albergue in Galisteo walked this way (via Rio Lobo) and were under the impression that it is now the only possible way. We were told that those who tried to follow notes and go through the farm, eventually had to turn back and walk via Rio Lobo anyway. I hope this clarifies things.

Ah, Viajero, thanks for explaining that! It makes perfect sense.

And speaking of Riolobos, if anyone out there prefers to stay in a casa rural or pension rather than an albergue, or if you just want to treat yourself, I can recommend a beautiful casa rural in Riolobos called Abuela Maxi.It's a beautiful home with five bedrooms, neat as a pin, and you can use the washer and dryer, too. The owners are a couple named Caridad and Lorenzo, and they're very friendly and nice. When I was there, it was a Sunday and the restaurants were closed, so they bought me a bocadillo and beer at their favorite watering hole. Then, as I had a bad sunburn and there was no store open to buy anything, Lorenzo ran home and brought back about five products for me -- everything from aloe vera to sunscreen for the next day.

Melanie

I was curious, really not keen on another stretch walking on asphalt, and always suspicious of believing a random person with a can of spray paint, so I decided to walk the old route this afternoon. I can confirm that the gate which used to allow pilgrims through (according to Melanie's guide and two sets of gps tracks) is impassable. The main gate is padlocked and the side gate is wired permanently shut. The "pelerinos o.k." which was apparently on the sign has been painted over.

You can follow the main road left for 2-3k to Riolobos (well marked and what I eventually did) or possibly follow a new sign to Riolobos about an hour or hour-and-a-half after Grimaldo (no idea how well marked it is after that first sign.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back