Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour from Escamplero and then on to Grado

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hoping someone with good geography sense can help out. Tomorrow I will start the Primitivo. My plan is to walk to Escamplero and then detour to Regueras to visit the pre Romanesque church San Pedro de Nora. Señora Amalia will be there with the keys.

Two options, I think. Go back to Escamplero to sleep. Or carry on to Grado. I would prefer the latter but am not sure where I would reconnect with the camino. I have deleted the google maps ap on my phone bc it's almost full (another problem for another day) so if anyone can look at a map of the Primitivo and see if it looks straightforward to get from Regueras and then to the camino and then to Grado that would be great. I know AS-234 goes Escamplero to Regueras. From there not sure.

Thanks amigos del camino. Laurie.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie,

From Escamplero it is roughly 8 km s to the church at San Nora. From the church you can walk nw on AS 233 for 6.5 km to Premono to join the CP for Grado 8.6 km away. Grado has an albergue.

Carpe Diem!
Here is a map link for you!

Last edited:
hey, laurie!

this is my variant, starting at Puente de Gallegos spanning rio Nora. to Escamplero is easily doable in one day from Oviedo (20km). if you want to go there from Escamplero, follow PR AS-172 Ruta de los Lanceros down to Raneces and san Pedro de Nora (4.3km). san Pedro is actually south of Escamplero.

A via s Pedro de Nora to Escamplero or Valdunu: Join AS232 up to the end of the wooden fence, cross it, turn sharp L down and immediately turn R up a minor road with PR AS-239 Senda verde El Pedreru. The road becomes a gravel track up through woods then a minor road up to a T crossroad. Turn L up with a pedestrian/bike lane, ascend to a T crossroad in QUEXU/QUEJO (221m; ä L; N panorama), go SA up a dirt track that soon levels (230m) then join L down a lane that descends into a small valley then down the slope almost to AS233 in 2.9km CAMPANAL (118m). Turn sharp L down a lane that passes F then swings back above río Nora and leads under A63 motorway to cementerio where it becomes a minor road to AS233. Cross it to raech 9/10C 4.6km s Pedro de Nora (mentioned 905, burnt 1934, windows, poor remains of murals, 20C campanario, key in village).

To go to Escamplero on PR AS-172 Ruta de los Lanceros, turn R up AS233, rise through SAN PEDRO DE NORA (83m), under A63 motorway, through 0.8km CAMPANAL (118m) and past a red house and a blue house with a small parking lot L, before two electricity lines cross the road. (If no dirt track, a minor road veers L further up.) Veer L down to a dirt track that becomes a path below wall of a house, then a walled lane, veers L then R, in a forest bends R down across reguero Valle (106m) and up below lavadero to a minor road (+0.1km R down is lavadero de La Fondona (F)) in 2km RAÑECES (134m). Turn R then L up a minor road, swing L then R up, and on top (why not L down for a lane as on IGN?) R up to AS233. Turn L up, at two round mirrors and No.56 (247m) turn L down a minor road, it becomes a track down then up to hórreo, turn R up to a T crossroad, turn L up for 5m then then veer R up a gravel road, facing a wall with panorama fork R up a walled dirt track that becomes a steep street to a T crossroad with yellow houses, turn R up past hórreo and ascend to municipal in 4.3km 19.4km/5h45 ESCAMPLERO (246m). Key R on AS234 in ä.

To go towards Grado, turn L across río Nora (78m) with AS233 and PR AS-183 Ruta Priañes, bend R up and pass a round tower on a massive wall to a L bend with an info board above embalse El Furacón (94m). Turn sharp R up a minor road, higher up it becomes very steep and cement, then on top (178m) gravel to a minor road. Turn R down, level, rise, descend, join a minor road SA/R up, at the start of the village veer L down to a triple fork below hórreo and with modern igl. Santiago ahead R, in 1.5km PRIAÑES (134m). Veer L down the lower most street, three old and one new house later turn R down (L down is also good), 50m later turn L to a walled lane that bends L before a football pitch, fork L then descend in a more or less straight line across pastures then down through woods to a picnic spot where it becomes a path along río Nalón (65m) then up to a minor road. Leave PR and go L down to a power plant, before it turn L acorss a metal footbridge over río Nalón (55m), ascend a path up to pastures then follow a track SA towards a railway line, cross the railway L, ascend a minor road to the first house R, with a brick façade, after it turn R up a walled path that ascends to a fork, fork R up a street and on top turn L to reach a crossroad with multi electricity lines in 2.6km BARRÉU (107m). Fork/veer R up, out of the village the road becomes gravel up to a ridge (151m) then down above a power plant to N634. Cross and turn R across río Sama (68m), rise past LLERA (86m) then descend to the first ä in VEIGA D'ANZU (85m), turn sharp R down GR6 towards Valduno, swing down to the train station, cross the railway there to descend a street on the R side down to GR6, cross río Nalón (55m) and reach a round mirror and a street L, in 2.9km VALDUNU (81m; L are +0.1km termas romanas de Valduno & s Eulalia). Go SA up, up past a road L (which is A with arrows), ascend past the estate with a brick barn and a palm L then veer L to a lane that after a house becomes a path and fords arroyo Llonga to 7.6km CP. Turn L. 30.5km from Oviedo to Grado.

that weird ä is in word file a sign for a restaurant or a bar. F in bold is a potable fountain.

hopefully in time!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
and the routes on google maps. distances approximate.

Attachments

• albergueEscamplero - sanPedroDeNora.jpg
    albergueEscamplero - sanPedroDeNora.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 9
  • puenteGallegos - sanPedroDeNora.jpg
    puenteGallegos - sanPedroDeNora.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 9
  • sanPedroDeNora - termasRomanasValdunu.jpg
    sanPedroDeNora - termasRomanasValdunu.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 9
Thanks so much. We are now in doubt because I heard last night in turismo that the church has been totally rebuilt after a fire and that there is nothing original left inside. I guess we'll decide when we get to the path caminka describes.

what I read was that the church has been rebuilt after a 1934 fire, but some of the original windows have been preserved and inserted into the rebuilt church. I am not sure about the remains of the murals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The church seems to be structurally much as it was before the fire but may no longer have the murals. They are not mentioned in our book - 'The pre-Romanesque in Asturias by Lorenzo Arias. The separate campanile is from the 1960s and no original foundations for it have been found.
Hope that helps you decide.
Buen Camino

The path that Caminkz describes was impassable. Adding to that the turismo guys comments (he's a nephew of the woman with the keys to Santa Cristina) and we decided to skip it. Thanks so much for all the help though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
huh. can you be more specific about which part of the path, please? I am/was planning on walking it this summer/autumn. thanks!

Well I should have been more clear. I am not sure this is caminka's path but the path we heard about from turismo at Puente Gallegos starts at the lavadero. It was full of brambles but may not have been cut back for summer.

brambles can be a problem. I think this might be the path called Senda Verde el Pedreru. lavadero is about 70m further up AS232 road on primitivo route but no path seems to go left from there, apart to a house.

there are three sections that can be overgrown. I found two wikiloc links for the whole path, one from 2010 and one from 2012. the first section also looks fine on 2013 google video (it's possibly a car short-cut for those going to/from Oviedo to/from Quesu/Quejo), the last can be avoided by AS233 road. on 2013 google video there are signposts for the path (where one can see them: two in Quesu and one in Campanal). the middle section from Quesu to Campanal is probably the one that is problematic, as the road detours all the way back to Escamplero. unfortunately, there are no pics on panoramio.

hopefully this is not too technical if someone is interesting in pursuing this detour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back