• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour Santa María de Eunate to Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui?

Excursionista

happiest when walking
Time of past OR future Camino
De VdBierzo (2004)
Pamplona-Sahagún (2021)
Has anyone taken the Santa María de Eunate detour and then continued on to Puente la Reina via Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui? The route looks promising on the map and the Ermita sounds like a nice stop based on people's reviews. Google maps estimates a 1.5 hour walk from Eunate past the Ermita to Puente la Reina.

Any tips or other thoughts from folks who have taken this route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino Aragones passes right past those two sites, so you’ll be on a marked path if you go that way. It is it much longer than walking directly to Puente and definitely worth the effort if either of them are open to see inside.

Although I have walked to Eunate many times in the past I never went to the Ermita. The Ermita photos on Google look great. When you do go please write a post about your visit.

Carpe diem!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked directly from Uterga and so it wasn't much out of the way. I had no problem finding my way although it isn't marked from Uterga. However, someone else said that they had difficulty finding the way from Uterga.

Check out the opening times if you want to go inside. When I was there in May 2019 it didn't open until (I think) 10am. It isn't open every day and usually is closed over Winter until some date in March.

Thanks for these helpful replies! I like the idea of diverting at Uterga and am glad to know the Ermita is on the Aragonés so should be easy to find from Eunate. Because I'd be visiting on a November Monday, I'm sadly not expecting to get to inside, but it still looks like a fun detour if I have enough daylight left when I get to Eunate. I'll let you know how it goes!

The Camino Aragones passes right past those two sites, so you’ll be on a marked path if you go that way.
Eunate is on the Aragonese but the Camino Aragonese heads to and ends in Obanos. The Ermita is not far away but you have to find it yourself.

On the map, if you look close, you can see the Aragonese marked with scallop shells and the two churches. The ermita is located a bit north of the magnifying glass in the black band.
Screenshot_20211110-152124.png

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Eunate is on the Aragonese but the Camino Aragonese heads to and ends in Obanos. The Ermita is not far away but you have to find it yourself.

On the map, if you look close, you can see the Aragonese marked with scallop shells and the two churches. The ermita is located a bit north of the magnifying glass in the blak band.
View attachment 113062
Thanks for the clarification and the map, and good to know the elevation involved when I decide whether I have enough time/energy left for the Ermita!

Thanks for the clarification and the map, and good to know the elevation involved when I decide whether I have enough time/energy left for the Ermita!
I should have mentioned that the topographic map came with the Spanish government's Mapas de España GPS app. It's somewhat complicated so I don't use it much but it is great when you want a topo map.
Screenshot_20211110-172228.png

the Camino Aragonese heads to and ends in Obanos
Not true! The CA ends in Puente where it merges into the CF (some would even argue that it “ends” in Santiago, but that’s a discussion for a separate thread).

After visiting Eunate, one can take a side road to the Ermita, slightly bypassing Obanos. Basically, take the NA-6064 to the NA-6063. It’s about a 30 minute walk from the Ermita to Puente on that same road.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found this very appealing Wikiloc trail that seems to go more directly than what I was envisioning as I looked at Google maps. Only about 6km from Eunate to Puente la Reina via the Ermita (though obviously much hillier than the route back past Obanos). If I get to give it a try, I'll let you know how it goes, but I figured I'd post it now in case anyone finds this thread when looking to do something similar.

What you realize after awhile is that though there are truly some ancient paths, most have been so reconfigured in the past centuries that ANY path from where you are to SdC is a Camino path (just don’t tell the folks in the Pilgrim Office that!😎). I love utilizing maps.me (a free app) to find alternative ways to getting to where I want to go without sacrificing what I want to see simply because a yellow arrow painted in the past 20 years tells me otherwise. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So... this was a great detour! The trail from Eunate to Arnotegui was very scenic and easy enough to follow. Imagine my surprise when, after our discussion and some internet research into this seemingly obscure detour, there was a giant signboard describing the route in the Eunate parking lot!

The only important intersection that wasn't marked was the second after leaving the parking lot. At the first, the sign shows Obanos and Puente la Reina to the right and Arnotegui to the left. The second fork wasn't labeled, but the sharp right takes you to the more direct and steep forest trail, and the left keeps you on the longer, gentler dirt road (zero vehicles on it when I was there).

If you follow the white and dark green posts (and sometimes posts with arrows on the top), the trail switchbacks up through the forest, follows the ridge for awhile, and then descends a bit to the now much higher road on the other side of the ridge. The Wikiloc trail I was consulting (not the same one as above but similar) then followed the dirt road around to Arnotegui.

I, however, took the absurdly steep trail that goes straight ahead when the road veers to the left just past a large agricultural building. This route is marked with another white and dark green post and follows the ridgeline up and down several steep inclines all the way to Arnotegui. I loved being able to see the views in both directions but would NOT want to go this way with a heavy pack. It's much steeper than anything on the way up or down Alto del Perdón.

I would also NOT want to take the forest trail, and especially not the ridgeline trail in the rain, but the road looked pretty well designed and like it might be ok in wet weather.

Leaving Arnotegui via the wide driveway, you can take a right onto the trail you'll see below you and follow that down into Puente la Reina.

Attachments

• Signboard at Eunate.jpg
    Signboard at Eunate.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • View back down to Eunate.jpg
    View back down to Eunate.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Ridgeline trail.jpg
    Ridgeline trail.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Blue dot following the ridgeline.png
    Blue dot following the ridgeline.png
    342 KB · Views: 37
Imagine my surprise when, after our discussion and some internet research into this seemingly obscure detour, there was a giant signboard describing the route in the Eunate parking lot!
😆

I'm curious; were there similar signs at Arnotegui showing the way to Eunate and to Puente la Reina?

Thanks for making the report.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
😆

I'm curious; were there similar signs at Arnotegui showing the way to Eunate and to Puente la Reina?

Thanks for making the report.
Apologies for the very slow reply - I just noticed how to see replies to past posts. I turned off onto the footpath to Puente la Reina before hitting the main road, so I didn't see whether there was similar signage in the opposite direction.

Not true! The CA ends in Puente where it merges into the CF (some would even argue that it “ends” in Santiago, but that’s a discussion for a separate thread).

After visiting Eunate, one can take a side road to the Ermita, slightly bypassing Obanos. Basically, take the NA-6064 to the NA-6063. It’s about a 30 minute walk from the Ermita to Puente on that same road.
The Camino Francés and the Aragonés join at Obanos, no at Puente la Reina.
Not in the town but yes on the municipal term.

I recently tried to find this thread and I found it a bit difficult. I think I may need to find the thread again so I'm submitting this post with a list of keywords so that future uses of the forum search engine looking for my posts with a good number of the keywords will find it quicker.

Santa María de Eunate
Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui
Obanos
Puente de Reina
Puente la Reina
Camino Aragonese
Camino Aragones
alternative
variant

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back