• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour to Cañas and Suso and Yuso monasteries

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I just did a three-day detour off the Camino Frances to visit the Cisterciense (still occupied by nuns) in Cañas and the Suso and Yuso monasteries in San Millán de la Cogolla. I thought I would share my experience while it is still fresh in my mind. In summary, it is very doable to walk to these destinations from the Camino Frances route. As you leave the town of Azofra on the Camino Frances route, you come to a T-junction with arrows for the Camino to the right and a sign for Cañas to the left. Turn left, which puts you on highway 206, a somewhat narrow, 2-lane quiet country road that goes through beautiful country and did not feel at all dangerous to walk, as the road is mostly straight and drivers can see you well in advance. Most of the drivers are tractors anyway, going about - 5mph.

Warning: when you come to the town of Alesanco, the main road curves to the left and you also see a white sign in the form of an left arrow that says "Cañas - 3" (the 3 is for 3 kilometers to go). However, when you turn left you hook up with highway 207, big mistake. What you want to do, but the sign is very misleading, is go straight onto a less traveled road, which is the continuation of 206. Moral of the story: be sure to check the occasional highway sign numbers to know which highway you are on.

When you get to Cañas, about 11 kms from Azofra, if you want to spend the night, I highly recommend La Casona, a family run hostal. Single rooms with bath and breakfast are 25 euros. It is across the street from the abbey/monastery, Cistersciense, a lovely structure with alabaster windows and other treats for the eyes. It is closed on monday.

From Cañas, continue on highway 206 9-10 kilometers to Berceo, at which point you will want to continue straight onto highway 207 (do not go left on 207, which is the wrong direction on 207), which takes you directly into San Millán, home of the Suso and Yuso monasteries. Both monasteries are wonderful and worth a visit. I think one of them may be closed on Mondays. I stayed at the Hosteria de Monasterios, a high end hotel that is part of the Yuso monastery for a pilgrim's rate of 45 euros. I think the long hot bath was worth the price of admission.

Leaving San Millán, the most direct route to Santo Domingo de la Calzada if you want to pick up the Camino route there is via Highway 204, which you would pick up in Berceo, but I DO NOT recommend it as there is almost no shoulder and there are many curves so your visibility to drivers is poor. You can walk back to Cañas and then back to Azofra, and Brierley also mentions another route from Cañas, or you can do what I did and take a taxi from San Millán to Santo Domingo for 26 euros.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Linda,
Thanks for the directions, will print for next time.
Buen Camino
Colin

Or maybe try hiring a bike in Santo Domingo de calzada and cycling to Suso/Yuso returning via Canas. It would be a very 'doable' cycle and give your feet and joints a break. Wish I'd thought of it when we were there!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There is a beautiful woodsy hiking trail that cuts off the roadway loop back to Cañas -- ask at the visitor´s center at Yuso, they can fill you in on the trail markers, etc. The trail takes you up the hillside to Suso and then northwest through the woods. I followed this trail in spring 2010, and it was delightful, full of birdsong and bellowing deer and potable springs. It put me down within sight of Cañas along the rural two-lane road that took me direct to Sto. Domingo., an easy day´s walk.

Rebekah

A caution on Suso - when we cycled the Camino in 2004 we did a similar detour. However, one fellow decided he was willing to ride up to Suso - my girlfriend and I saw his panniers behind a stone wall as we were leaving Yuso. We later learned that he had arrived at the upper (much smaller) structure only to discover that he needed some sort of pass/ticket from Yuso. I imagine this would be even more frustrating for a walker than a cyclist, who can at least coast down. This policy may have changed since then.

I just did a three-day detour off the Camino Frances to visit the Cisterciense (still occupied by nuns) in Cañas and the Suso and Yuso monasteries in San Millán de la Cogolla. I thought I would share my experience while it is still fresh in my mind. In summary, it is very doable to walk to these destinations from the Camino Frances route. As you leave the town of Azofra on the Camino Frances route, you come to a T-junction with arrows for the Camino to the right and a sign for Cañas to the left. Turn left, which puts you on highway 206, a somewhat narrow, 2-lane quiet country road that goes through beautiful country and did not feel at all dangerous to walk, as the road is mostly straight and drivers can see you well in advance. Most of the drivers are tractors anyway, going about - 5mph.

Warning: when you come to the town of Alesanco, the main road curves to the left and you also see a white sign in the form of an left arrow that says "Cañas - 3" (the 3 is for 3 kilometers to go). However, when you turn left you hook up with highway 207, big mistake. What you want to do, but the sign is very misleading, is go straight onto a less traveled road, which is the continuation of 206. Moral of the story: be sure to check the occasional highway sign numbers to know which highway you are on.

When you get to Cañas, about 11 kms from Azofra, if you want to spend the night, I highly recommend La Casona, a family run hostal. Single rooms with bath and breakfast are 25 euros. It is across the street from the abbey/monastery, Cistersciense, a lovely structure with alabaster windows and other treats for the eyes. It is closed on monday.

From Cañas, continue on highway 206 9-10 kilometers to Berceo, at which point you will want to continue straight onto highway 207 (do not go left on 207, which is the wrong direction on 207), which takes you directly into San Millán, home of the Suso and Yuso monasteries. Both monasteries are wonderful and worth a visit. I think one of them may be closed on Mondays. I stayed at the Hosteria de Monasterios, a high end hotel that is part of the Yuso monastery for a pilgrim's rate of 45 euros. I think the long hot bath was worth the price of admission.

Leaving San Millán, the most direct route to Santo Domingo de la Calzada if you want to pick up the Camino route there is via Highway 204, which you would pick up in Berceo, but I DO NOT recommend it as there is almost no shoulder and there are many curves so your visibility to drivers is poor. You can walk back to Cañas and then back to Azofra, and Brierley also mentions another route from Cañas, or you can do what I did and take a taxi from San Millán to Santo Domingo for 26 euros.
How do you get a Taxi from San Millan? Did you ask the hostel to help you find the taxi driver?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Monastery at Cañas really deserves a visit. I didn't walk official CF on that stretch but what I've heard from others I didn't miss nothing. Those alabaster windows are just magical!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Finally I did not take the Taxi as thought of quite expensive now about €66 from Yuso to Santo Domingo la calzada.

I went to next town Estollo to take the bus back Najera (bus fare €1.32) then transfer another bus to Santo Domingo la calzada (bus fare €1.35).

When I on the bus from Estollo, there are two stops by closer to Yuso.

Plan for a day trip : walk from Azofra to Yuso, buy ticket for Suso and take the shuttle bus up to Suso, after Suso then buy ticket for Yuso.

One of the bus stop:
Parada Autobuses
LR-205, 26226 San Millán de la Cogolla, La Rioja, Spain

https://goo.gl/maps/wSwgxHyi1fr

Another it in Berceo

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.