• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour to Fisterra and Muxia before arriving at SdC

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're planning our Caminho Português for 2020. Last year, when we walked from Switzerland to SdC, we did not continue to Fisterra.
In 2020 we definitely want to include Fisterra and Muxía, and we were wondering whether it was possible to leave the Português before SdC, go to Fisterra and Muxía, and then end our Caminho.
We know we can go to SdC, then to Fisterra and back to SdC, but we were hoping to avoid that.
Your thoughts, suggestions, advice, warnings are all welcome!
Thank you
Bom Caminho, Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ah, great, another chance to try out my wikiloc premium!

here’s one on a bike.

But here is an idea. This trail starts in Santiago, but it goes down to Padron and then up to Muxia and down to Finisterre. But since you will be in Padron on the way in, you could pick it up there and walk through Noia.

Comparing the bike trail with this walking trail, though, you’ll see that the walking trail is mostly inland from Noia to Muxia, while the biking trail hugs the coast and goes through Muros.

Here is a walking trail that would get you from Noia to Finisterre on the coast. I haven’t compared it to the biking trail. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/galicia-la-costa-de-ribadeo-a-a-guarda-8885651

Well, it’s a start!

Well, it’s a start!

It certainly is! Thank you Laurie!
I assume that the only trails that are marked as Camino are the ones from SdC to Fisterra and the alternative via Muxía. Gronze only shows the one to Fisterra.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ah, great, another chance to try out my wikiloc premium!

here’s one on a bike.

But here is an idea. This trail starts in Santiago, but it goes down to Padron and then up to Muxia and down to Finisterre. But since you will be in Padron on the way in, you could pick it up there and walk through Noia.

Comparing the bike trail with this walking trail, though, you’ll see that the walking trail is mostly inland from Noia to Muxia, while the biking trail hugs the coast and goes through Muros.

Here is a walking trail that would get you from Noia to Finisterre on the coast. I haven’t compared it to the biking trail. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/galicia-la-costa-de-ribadeo-a-a-guarda-8885651

Well, it’s a start!
The biking trail is great from Noia although I did not do that by bike but by car.
I should do the trail from Pontevredra to Noia and than first to Fisterre (it is a long and winding beautiful coastal route (as I remember from Noia it was about 80 kms and than to Muxia and back to Santiago . I remember I saw some places you could stay for the night but it needs some preps in advance .
My wife and I were caminping in that area some years ago and because we walked the coastal and central Portuguese caminho before we wanted to explore the area there . Beautifull . Lot of people who walk the Variante Espiritual caminho are not aware who beautifull the south western area of Galicia is.

Last edited:
The biking trail is great from Noia although I did not do that by bike but by car.
I should do the trail from Pontevredra to Noia and than first to Fisterre (it is a long and winding beautiful coastal route (as I remember from Noia it was about 80 kms and than to Muxia and back to Santiago . I remember I saw some places you could stay for the night but it needs some preps in advance .
My wife and I were caminping in that area some years ago and because we walked the coastal and central Portuguese caminho before we wanted to explore the area there . Beautifull . Lot of people who walk the Variante Espiritual caminho are not aware who beautifull the south western area of Galicia is.

Obrigado @Albertinho ,
Your suggestion of going first to Fisterra sounds logical.
Is there a lot of road walking between Pontevedra and Noia, and then on to Fisterra? Our reference is the Camino del Norte, where we enjoyed the coastal alternatives, and walking along the cliff edges.

We're planning our Caminho Português for 2020. Last year, when we walked from Switzerland to SdC, we did not continue to Fisterra.
In 2020 we definitely want to include Fisterra and Muxía, and we were wondering whether it was possible to leave the Português before SdC, go to Fisterra and Muxía, and then end our Caminho.
We know we can go to SdC, then to Fisterra and back to SdC, but we were hoping to avoid that.
Your thoughts, suggestions, advice, warnings are all welcome!
Thank you
Bom Caminho, Buen Camino

[/ i too am walking the CP this fall and was wondering the same thing so thank you for asking the question and thank you to all the forum members who answered.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you interested in getting a Compostela. If so, I don't think the last 100km would qualify as not all is walking towards Santiago, also it is not a route recognised by the authorities.
Maybe more knowledgeable members could comment.

Obrigado @Albertinho ,
Your suggestion of going first to Fisterra sounds logical.
Is there a lot of road walking between Pontevedra and Noia, and then on to Fisterra? Our reference is the Camino del Norte, where we enjoyed the coastal alternatives, and walking along the cliff edges.
In fact you follow the road along the coast. It winds round bays and "rias" so called fjords in Galego ,the language in that area of Spain.
And the road follows the coast. As I wrote we took the trip by car when camping in the area. We have seen some peregrinos but they were bikers.
I wonder if it should be better to continue to Santiago and start from there to Fisterre and Muxia. Then you will be assured of albergues and a waymarked path.
Part of the coastroad from Noia is very remote at times. Here and there a small village. Furthermore there is nothing .
Great views ; you see Fistere from a long distance. It is a landmark .

This walk between Noia and Muros has some off-road stretches.

But the others I have found from Muros onward all follow the road.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you interested in getting a Compostela. If so, I don't think the last 100km would qualify as not all is walking towards Santiago, also it is not a route recognised by the authorities.
It is possible to obtain Compostela even if you walk Fisterra-Muxia-SdC or Muxia-Fisterra-SdC. The OP will walk even more than that but only the last 100km counts.

Interesting advice, @camino-david , and something we had not considered.
How do I contact the authorities to find out? @t2andreo , do you know how I can find out?
Thank you!
Buen Camino

In fact you follow the road along the coast. It winds round bays and "rias" so called fjords in Galego ,the language in that area of Spain.
And the road follows the coast. As I wrote we took the trip by car when camping in the area. We have seen some peregrinos but they were bikers.
I wonder if it should be better to continue to Santiago and start from there to Fisterre and Muxia. Then you will be assured of albergues and a waymarked path.
Part of the coastroad from Noia is very remote at times. Here and there a small village. Furthermore there is nothing .
Great views ; you see Fistere from a long distance. It is a landmark .
Thank you @Albertinho .
Finding accommodation would be the only issue. Having walked coastal alternatives on the Norte, we are not worried about not having markings and signpostings. Also we will not be limited to albergues, but if accommodation is not available, we would have to reconsider or find alternatives.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is possible to obtain Compostela even if you walk Fisterra-Muxia-SdC or Muxia-Fisterra-SdC. The OP will walk even more than that but only the last 100km counts.
Thank you @KinkyOne , we were indeed considering either of those two, although Fisterra-Muxía-SdC is our preference for logical (geographically) reasons.
Did you walk either or these and obtained a Compostela?
Buen Camino

Thank you @KinkyOne , we were indeed considering either of those two, although Fisterra-Muxía-SdC is our preference for logical (geographically) reasons.
Did you walk either or these and obtained a Compostela?
Buen Camino
Here is the link to Pilgrims Office in SdC:

You won't have major problem finding accommodation (unless if you'll walk in high season) because that region around Noia and Muros is very very touristy.

And no, I obtained Compostela only twice. First time after my first complete CF when my Camino family talked me into it and second time I obtained "pro vicario" Compostela for a father of my good friend who had terminal cancer at that time.
Personally I don't need a paper and I even don't remember where I put my first one. The road is my goal ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back